We all know the small group of teams competing for the football NC

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm not saying quit fielding a team. I'm saying just get players that don't command a lot of NIL and use the NIL to get high profile basketball, baseball, women's basketball, soccer and softball players. Basketball only requires you have a couple of top 40 athletes.
Again, if you don't want to have those other sports you are mentioning that's the route to take. Like it or not, football pays the bills for all of them but men's basketball. YES, that includes BASEBALL. If we quit trying in football we go division two REAL quick.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Alabama went through a period of being awful. Florida is terrible right now. TN did too. It definitely happens

Just look at the list of basketball champions. It’s nothing but the expected teams for the most part. Virginia has a lot of history. It’s basically Baylor. The rest of the list is just the names you would expect.

Except for in football, a Baylor type winning it all flat out isn’t possible. It will never happen. That’s the biggest difference. TCU is the closest comparison, and look what happened to them in the title game.

There’s more parity in college basketball than college football. A lot is due to the nature of the game where anyone can go down in a one game scenario, and it only takes 1 or 2 really good players to carry any team. Still not as much parity as you’d see in college baseball or other non-revenue sports. But its still better than CFB in that regard.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If you give up on football the athletic giving would suffer. Football is king.

To play devil’s advocate, this isn’t nearly as true as it was 20 years ago….although it is still somewhat true.

We get $60 million per year just for being in the SEC and fielding a football team. And that amount goes up more every season. That’s just from the SEC Network contract. 20 years ago, we were pulling in about $20 million from football from the TV deals, donations, and ticket sales combined.

So, we definitely have enough automatic money coming in to just keep football going at some minimum level, while shifting NIL and other donations elsewhere….IF we chose to do that. However, I still don’t agree with moving all NIL and donations over to other sports. Even if we did that, we’d still get outspent in basketball by a good number of programs, and you simply can’t spend your way to a title in baseball. There’s way too much luck involved.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That’s kind of the point you squirrelly *****
So you want MSU or OM to invest in the talent there, yet we basically never see the Jackson players be great, outside of when they are at MSU and OM.

So then the school's are doing what you want. They are investing in the talent there and signing the best.
What's your complaint now?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Wouldn't we be better served putting our money into other sports and admitting that the BIG $$$$ Alabama's of the football world have captured the sport?
GIF by Steve Harvey TV

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
To play devil’s advocate, this isn’t nearly as true as it was 20 years ago….although it is still somewhat true.

We get $60 million per year just for being in the SEC and fielding a football team. And that amount goes up more every season. That’s just from the SEC Network contract. 20 years ago, we were pulling in about $20 million from football from the TV deals, donations, and ticket sales combined.

So, we definitely have enough automatic money coming in to just keep football going at some minimum level, while shifting NIL and other donations elsewhere….IF we chose to do that. However, I still don’t agree with moving all NIL and donations over to other sports. Even if we did that, we’d still get outspent in basketball by a good number of programs, and you simply can’t spend your way to a title in baseball. There’s way too much luck involved.

It would be devastating to our schools growth to it make the number one attraction to prospective students and alums to our campus the most important thing. We already face a huge problem that we are in a state that is slowly dying. Football is the single most important thing at any SEC school academically and athletically. Its why putting $60 mill cash into the Hump is one of the dumbest things we have ever done.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Football pays the bills for all other sports. Dan Mullen had as much to do with building The New Dude as much as anyone else. I wish IB(the I stands for Incompetent) would have went to Auburn a couple of years earlier so that we wouldn’t be wasting money on The Hump putting lipstick on a pig.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
This argument has been brought up before and it gets more idiotic as time goes on
It is not an argument. It is an opinion on a sports forum. Would you rather go to the liberty bowl and the sweet 16 in March or go to the Gator Bowl and the NIT? That's my question so you understand.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Alabama went through a period of being awful. Florida is terrible right now. TN did too. It definitely happens

Just look at the list of basketball champions. It’s nothing but the expected teams for the most part. Virginia has a lot of history. It’s basically Baylor. The rest of the list is just the names you would expect.
Yes, and Baylor is a powerhouse? Gonzaga is also a powerhouse. We were in Women's basketball for two years. It's cheaper to get 3 or 4 blue chip basketball players than 30 4 and 5 star players like Alabama and Georgia every year.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yes, and Baylor is a powerhouse? Gonzaga is also a powerhouse. We were in Women's basketball for two years. It's cheaper to get 3 or 4 blue chip basketball players than 30 4 and 5 star players like Alabama and Georgia every year.

Women’s hoops is coach driven.

Yes. That was my point. If Baylor winning it in a 40 year stretch makes you feel like there is parity go for it. But I look at the list of winners and would never want to pour a bunch of money into men’s hoops. There just isn’t really any parity. We have to pluck one or two teams out. And if there was no tourney there would certainly be none. The tourney makes us feel like there is more than there really is.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It would be devastating to our schools growth to it make the number one attraction to prospective students and alums to our campus the most important thing. We already face a huge problem that we are in a state that is slowly dying. Football is the single most important thing at any SEC school academically and athletically. Its why putting $60 mill cash into the Hump is one of the dumbest things we have ever done.
Don’t go too far. Overly negative. State will grow again, and the Hump needs a facelift. We aren’t making it into the Yum Center. Just respectable.

Come back off that ledge man. I get the sentiment. But there are positives.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Don’t go too far. Overly negative. State will grow again, and the Hump needs a facelift. We aren’t making it into the Yum Center. Just respectable.

Come back off that ledge man. I get the sentiment. But there are positives.

The state itself is losing people regularly. That’s likely not changing. Thats alums moving to states and their kids going to those home state schools. $60 mill for what we are doing is not smart.

We should have borrowed at low interest rates and built a new coliseum.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Wouldn't we be better served putting our money into other sports and admitting that the BIG $$$$ Alabama's of the football world have captured the sport?
You're giving up too soon IMO. This is not the juncture to throw in the towel.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login