We Are Better, 6/26/24, Jayden Woods, DL, KS

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thought that Beckish was from Minnesota.

I think it was Fridley, Minn.

FWIW, his wife, Shaun Stafford, was the 1988 NCAA women's singles tennis champion @ U. of Florida. He had 3 kids, and one of them, a daughter, Lauren, was a swimmer for WVU.

Mike Beckish battled Gifto to be the starting MLB at PSU, and went on to be a physician.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I think it was Fridley, Minn.

FWIW, his wife, Shaun Stafford, was the 1988 NCAA women's singles tennis champion @ U. of Florida. He had 3 kids, and one of them, a daughter, Lauren, was a swimmer for WVU.

Mike Beckish battled Gifto to be the starting MLB at PSU, and went on to be a physician.
Yup, went to med school at Minnehaha and is a pediatric orthopedist in South Carolina.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Beckish played LB and TE at Kapaun Mt. Carmel in Wichita, Kansas. He was a Scholastic Coach All American.

It's tough to track down the answer here.

There's a post on Facebook, where someone from Kapaun Mt. Carmel is looking for the names of all their graduates that played in college or the pros. Somebody posts that their cousin, Mike Beckish, graduated from Mt. Carmel and went on to play at PSU and win the National Championship.

On the flip side, I found the Penn State Football 1987 Media Guide, and in the list of all PSU letterman, it states:

"Beckish, Mike, 1984-86, Fridley, Minn."

Perhaps he was living in Fridley while attending U. of Minnesota Medical School, as Fridley appears to be a suburb of Minneapolis, where the medical school is located.

@OptionBob has shown to have a great memory for the PSU rosters of the '70s and '80s.

I've spent too much time on this as it is, so I'm going to punt on trying to resolve this.

OptionBob

Oct 12, 2021
It's tough to track down the answer here.

There's a post on Facebook, where someone from Kapaun Mt. Carmel is looking for the names of all their graduates that played in college or the pros. Somebody posts that their cousin, Mike Beckish, graduated from Mt. Carmel and went on to play at PSU and win the National Championship.

On the flip side, I found the Penn State Football 1987 Media Guide, and in the list of all PSU letterman, it states:

"Beckish, Mike, 1984-86, Fridley, Minn."

Perhaps he was living in Fridley while attending U. of Minnesota Medical School, as Fridley appears to be a suburb of Minneapolis, where the medical school is located.

@OptionBob has shown to have a great memory for the PSU rosters of the '70s and '80s.

I've spent too much time on this as it is, so I'm going to punt on trying to resolve this.
Tom, I think I have found the solution. Going back to the 1984 Media Guide, the brief bio paragraph about Beckish is as follows:

"Beckish played[LB] and [TE] at Kapaun Mt. Carmel in Wichita,Kansas. He won all-state honors, was voted the top player in Kansas and was a Scholastic Coach All-American. Beckish, who now lives in Minnesota (his father is a football coach at the of Minnesota), is enrolled in the College of Engineering."

I don't contribute much to this excellent site, but when I do post, I try to be as accurate as my old brain allows. I remembered Beckish mainly because he was a Scholastic Coach AA, and the coaches at the high school at which I taught would share that magazine with me when it had info on recruiting or perhaps a mention of Penn State/Joe Paterno.