We are void of talent on defense...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
but we aren't that much void of talent.

On that 4th and 1 where they ran a bunch formation and the TE slipped out for a wide open 20 yard touchdown - it was so obvious what was about to be ran. If you judged Hutzler on today, I would say it was more personnel than scheme because of the injuries on the DL. Arkansas was toying with us from the first snap.

And the funniest stat of the day - Arkansas was 0-7 on 3rd down.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Respectfully disagree our scheme has been shotty all year, putting 5 in the box against obvious running formation. Inexplicable stunts on the Dline leaving offensive lineman at the third level looking for someone to block. Yes we lack talent, because we decided to get a bazillion receivers in the portal. But the defensive scheme is unimaginative and there is no significant adjustments being made

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Respectfully disagree our scheme has been shotty all year, putting 5 in the box against obvious running formation. Inexplicable stunts on the Dline leaving offensive lineman at the third level looking for someone to block. Yes we lack talent, because we decided to get a bazillion receivers in the portal. But the defensive scheme is unimaginative and there is no significant adjustments being made
I saw way too many receivers, RBs, and TEs running wide open today to blame personnel. A&M, UGA, or even Texas maybe, but today was a 100% pathetic coaching display

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Radio said we had 3 D linemen out today, (as somebody pointed out that did not include Dinkins).

We seem to be behind the 8Ball for now. Coach was dealt a bad hand coming in. Better times ahead,
I think we brought in a good HC. We need to chill, and bear with it.
That's my opinion.
Im good with Lebby. You can’t keep Hutzler just from a recruiting standpoint. I don’t see how we get anyone of substance unless we just put all of the budget on D.

Another thing is the price of Van Buren is going up each game too. It’s a good but bad thing.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Im good with Lebby. You can’t keep Hutzler just from a recruiting standpoint. I don’t see how we get anyone of substance unless we just put all of the budget on D.

Another thing is the price of Van Buren is going up each game too. It’s a good but bad thing.
Player retention will certainly be a issue for the time being. Need to keep him happy.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007

Hutzler is a liability now. I think of how you analytics gives "value over replacement player" to athletes as to how much you lose if you replace the star with the average player. The "value over replacement assistant" for Hutzler is negative in almost every category. We'd be better across the board everywhere including recruiting.

Reactions: patdog

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
I doubt there is a long list of guys wanting to come be our DC. It seemed like to me they had trouble finding a guy before they hired Hutzler. And then we waited on him to finish his season at Bama. IF they can him I sure hope they have an experienced DC lined up. My guess is he is gonna have to figure it out. Sadly. This defense is horrible but still

patdog

May 28, 2007
I saw way too many receivers, RBs, and TEs running wide open today to blame personnel. A&M, UGA, or even Texas maybe, but today was a 100% pathetic coaching display
Yep. Lebbys defensive recruiting this year was as big of a red flag as the coordinator hire was. He’s still an offensive coordinator., not a head coach.

patdog

May 28, 2007

You have to give Lebby blame for the defense. It’s his show. And Van Burens price didn’t go up any today.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think this team can be better if you reset the defense with a good experienced defensive coordinator who can als steal some recruits needs new staff underneath as well

Reactions: Dawg84

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Our defense is absolutely embarrassing. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home, and the ESPN guys just went on just how good ARk qB has improved. Next game he will look like crap again.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
All I know is they better hit the portal with the check book for Defensive guys. We took six defensive players out of the portal. Unacceptable!

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Our defense is absolutely embarrassing. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home, and the ESPN guys just went on just how good ARk qB has improved. Next game he will look like crap again.
It’s a combination, Arkansas has a good team/offense, but we are horrible. They pretty much dominated Tennessee for three quarters.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know if the players or the coaching/scheme is more to blame but I’m ok moving on from all parties and just starting over on defense.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
His scheme has improved I think but he still isn’t getting the most out of his players. Hes not a good coach. Hutzler needs to be gone. Vandy has a roster full of 3 stars and their coaches and defense are getting every ounce of fight every game looking very competitive and competent on defense. There’s no way we should ever look this bad… especially against an Arkansas team that has averaged 17.5 ppg in conference play

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

On that 4th and 1 where they ran a bunch formation and the TE slipped out for a wide open 20 yard touchdown - it was so obvious what was about to be ran. If you judged Hutzler on today, I would say it was more personnel than scheme because of the injuries on the DL. Arkansas was toying with us from the first snap.

Obvious after the fact. I saw us beat Ole Miss once on the same play.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
You gotta blow up that side of the ball. Spend 65% of the NIL on D and hope the offensive scheme carries the rest.

Keep an eye on Duke’s DC. Elko and Diaz have that program on solid footing defensively. He’s been with Diaz off and on for most of the last decade including meeting in Starkville.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That could be scheme, and it could be just total lack of talent in coverage. I've seen enough football on several levels to know that lack of talent makes everything look bad, especially coverage. If you can't cover, you can't cover. No amount of coaching will ever correct that. No scheme can cover it up. We had been warned by a few people what was happening on the defensive side of the ball talent wise 2-3 years ago. It was blissfully ignored because we had some talented people at the top. They aren't here anymore and some very predictable chickens are roosting now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
His scheme has improved I think but he still isn’t getting the most out of his players. Hes not a good coach. Hutzler needs to be gone. Vandy has a roster full of 3 stars and their coaches and defense are getting every ounce of fight every game looking very competitive and competent on defense. There’s no way we should ever look this bad… especially against an Arkansas team that has averaged 17.5 ppg in conference play
Great point

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That could be scheme, and it could be just total lack of talent in coverage. I've seen enough football on several levels to know that lack of talent makes everything look bad, especially coverage. If you can't cover, you can't cover. No amount of coaching will ever correct that. No scheme can cover it up. We had been warned by a few people what was happening on the defensive side of the ball talent wise 2-3 years ago. It was blissfully ignored because we had some talented people at the top. They aren't here anymore and some very predictable chickens are roosting now.
Lie to yourself all you want. Lenny ran off the existing players and brought in his own. Great results eh?

The offense ain’t all that great either. We rule in garbage time tho

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Lie to yourself all you want. Lenny ran off the existing players and brought in his own. Great results eh?

The offense ain’t all that great either. We rule in garbage time tho
On defense? Have you ever given a reason for your obvious visceral hate of Lebby? If you have I missed it. I at least have always been honest about Leach. I thought his offense even when it did work, was excruciating to watch. That dates from the first time Mumme and Leach brought it to MSU with Kentucky. Our DC may be as bad as y'all say. I just can't go that far because of the talent level. I see guys that can't tackle or cover even when they are in position. Coverage is very much a talent. Tackling is too to some degree. Once again, I said this when we hired Leach. The transition when he eventually wasn't the coach, for what ever reason, was absolutely going to be ugly. I had at least hoped he would win a little and postpone the pain. He might have, we will never know now. I wish I had been wrong, but I wasn't.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
On defense? Have you ever given a reason for your obvious visceral hate of Lebby? If you have I missed it. I at least have always been honest about Leach. I thought his offense even when it did work, was excruciating to watch. That dates from the first time Mumme and Leach brought it to MSU with Kentucky. Our DC may be as bad as y'all say. I just can't go that far because of the talent level. I see guys that can't tackle or cover even when they are in position. Coverage is very much a talent. Tackling is too to some degree. Once again, I said this when we hired Leach. The transition when he eventually wasn't the coach, for what ever reason, was absolutely going to be ugly. I had at least hoped he would win a little and postpone the pain. He might have, we will never know now. I wish I had been wrong, but I wasn't.
It’s been painful due to the abrupt nature of it, then Keenum’s hire(s), and now Salmon’s hire.

On Lenny, I don’t hate him. He’s just not the guy for our job. That’s not his fault.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I doubt there is a long list of guys wanting to come be our DC. It seemed like to me they had trouble finding a guy before they hired Hutzler. And then we waited on him to finish his season at Bama. IF they can him I sure hope they have an experienced DC lined up. My guess is he is gonna have to figure it out. Sadly. This defense is horrible but still
And THIS is why you hire a sitting Head Coach. They bring their staff with them. They don't have to hire nobody no nothings!

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
It's just incredibly difficult when there's so many things your team is deficient at. If there was one or two things we were actually good at it would be different. But we're making stupid penalties, we're not taking care of the football, our defensive alignments and coverage responsibilities are a complete mystery to our players. I doubt most of them even understand the play calls coming in from the sidelines. There's a lack of leadership, and there is just what I would describe as a bunch of bodies that aren't SEC ready. We look like a junior college team physically and we play like a SWAC TEAM (MVSU) when it comes to assignment football. It's just incredibly embarrassing and ridiculous that we're paying this much money to a coaching staff that is underperforming at a level that is supposed to be SEC football.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It’s been painful due to the abrupt nature of it, then Keenum’s hire(s), and now Salmon’s hire.

On Lenny, I don’t hate him. He’s just not the guy for our job. That’s not his fault.
So no actual reason then. I thought as much.

It was always going to be painful when Leach left. It was almost a given because literally NOBODY in major college football ran what he did. He recruited specifically for his unique scheme. That's what happens almost always when you run a niche scheme on either side of the ball. It was also always going to be prolonged unless we got extremely lucky. Hiring a coach, even one with a known record is always a bit of a crap shoot, with those kind of odds. Most coaching tenures do not end well, no matter who or where.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So no actual reason then. I thought as much.

It was always going to be painful when Leach left. It was almost a given because literally NOBODY in major college football ran what he did. He recruited specifically for his unique scheme. That's what happens almost always when you run a niche scheme on either side of the ball. It was also always going to be prolonged unless we got extremely lucky. Hiring a coach, even one with a known record is always a bit of a crap shoot, with those kind of odds. Most coaching tenures do not end well, no matter who or where.
Of course there’s no reason. I told you, dipshlt, I don’t hate Lebby.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017

Literally cannot get worse. We are bottom of the nation in all categories. It’s time Hutzler is gone.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Lebby 17ing sucks and we’re stuck with him for a few years. He’s an above average OC, but you can’t say he’s a good head coach when his team is 1-7 with losses to perennial powers like Arizona State and Toledo, and his team is completely pathetic on one side of the ball. Lebby brought in Hutzler. Lebby decided not to commit to defense in the portal. We’ll win 7-9 games between now and 2026 and he’ll be an OC in the ACC in 2027. That’s how this show ends.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login