We knew the transition away from the air raid would be tough

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
What we really need is one more OL coach. And a couple more portal DBs to sit on the bench. That would allow us to properly identify our best 11 and then design our offense around them. I mean the whole point of this thing is to just outscore your opponent, right ? So all we are worrying about is October. Hail State.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
We essentially fired the most successful staff member we had coming back from the last three seasons - our defensive coordinator - and hired a rookie HC and DC. Looking back, it's easy to see what a colossal mistake this was.

It's similar to the Cohen to AD hire. Not only did we hire a guy into a position where he had no idea what he was doing, but we also simultaneously fired our baseball coach. Wonder when our university admin will stop trying to go on the cheap?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We essentially fired the most successful staff member we had coming back from the last three seasons - our defensive coordinator - and hired a rookie HC and DC. Looking back, it's easy to see what a colossal mistake this was.

It's similar to the Cohen to AD hire. Not only did we hire a guy into a position where he had no idea what he was doing, but we also simultaneously fired our baseball coach. Wonder when our university admin will stop trying to go on the cheap?
Yeah, and further, it's damn near amazing how we weathered all that and went to 3 straight CWS and then capped it with a natty, using 3 coaches and COVID, only followed by a complete collapse. It's almost like it couldn't happen at MSU any other way.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Offense: 3-4 years
This is not true. In the old days pre-portal, it MIGHT take this long to go from a run-based system to a pass-happy system. But not the other way around. And now add in the portal, it's even quicker to at least get to something reasonable.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This is not true. In the old days pre-portal, it MIGHT take this long to go from a run-based system to a pass-happy system. But not the other way around. And now add in the portal, it's even quicker to at least get to something reasonable.
And your evidence that would work at MSU is?

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
The air raid is a scheme to facilitate programs with a talent gap competing against better talent. Its not unlike a scheme related philosophy employed by the service academies with the triple option. Transitioning out of a scheme based approach requires a program to acquire the personnel and that takes a few years much like Ga Tech when they moved away from a army/navy type scheme. This is why Arnett was hired to expressly to maintain the status quo but he decided not to. This and the unexpected defensive collapse just screams for us to move on.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What we really need is one more OL coach. And a couple more portal DBs to sit on the bench. That would allow us to properly identify our best 11 and then design our offense around them. I mean the whole point of this thing is to just outscore your opponent, right ? So all we are worrying about is October. Hail State.

Yeah yeah. See what I don't get is that we have several 4 star WRs and we are putting them on the sideline to run 12 and 11 personnel when we do not have TE worth a crap!
The air raid is a scheme to facilitate programs with a talent gap competing against better talent. Its not unlike a scheme related philosophy employed by the service academies with the triple option. Transitioning out of a scheme based approach requires a program to acquire the personnel and that takes a few years much like Ga Tech when they moved away from a army/navy type scheme. This is why Arnett was hired to expressly to maintain the status quo but he decided not to. This and the unexpected defensive collapse just screams for us to move on.
BRAVO!!!

WELL PUT!

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
If Keenum hired Arnett to do any kind of transitioning he needs to own up to it and fix this. Green light Selmon to clean up his mess. Only a moron would hire a no experience HC to make big changes unless it was to follow a complete **** house and failed tenure of the prior guy. That wasn't the case even from the most critical of Leach.

It was sold that he was the stability guy - yet here we are forcing stabilized personnel into something wildly different and a big regression on the only thing the HC had an experience in. If this was the plan - own the mistake and bail ASAP. Fans are emotional but this assumes we are stupid too.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If Keenum hired Arnett to do any kind of transitioning he needs to own up to it and fix this. Green light Selmon to clean up his mess. Only a moron would hire a no experience HC to make big changes unless it was to follow a complete **** house and failed tenure of the prior guy. That wasn't the case even from the most critical of Leach.

It was sold that he was the stability guy - yet here we are forcing stabilized personnel into something wildly different and a big regression on the only thing the HC had an experience in. If this was the plan - own the mistake and bail ASAP. Fans are emotional but this assumes we are stupid too.
Read earlier that the OC burned Ellis's redshirt to play him at TE because we have to have 1. That's how bad we are coached right now.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We will improve as each week progresses. I have seen signs of life and a few smart calls.

We do need a healthy 1st string though, otherwise we will continue to ride the struggle bus

Driving School Bus GIF by Super Simple

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And your evidence that would work at MSU is?

Just a reminder, you participated in this thread.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Just a reminder, you participated in this thread.
You still haven't shown that we can overhaul the team with the portal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You still haven't shown that we can overhaul the team with the portal.
I know this won't matter and you will still argue, but I'll re-post it anyway, from that thread:

Do you all remember the transition from the Croom Coast to Danny? It was nearly seamless. But not when we went from Danny to Slophead and ultimately Leach......
Both Texas Tech and Washington State had similar seasons to Leach's last season, the following year. For WSU, I'm talking 2021, they only played 3 in 2020. That means he leaves a good program for the next guy.
Those are 2 examples from Mike Leach alone, and 1 MSU specific answer. So tell me again how I didn't show it.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I know this won't matter and you will still argue, but I'll re-post it anyway, from that thread:

Those are 2 examples from Mike Leach alone, and 1 MSU specific answer. So tell me again how I didn't show it.
Show me evidence that MSU can do what it takes to overhaul the team from the portal in one year. You are dodging that question.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
outside of a complete transfer portal overhaul how long does this take?

on defense, I just have no words. Well I have one….inexcusable
We have THE air raid qb on our roster, the last qb touched by Leach. If our OC really wanted to succeed here, without using us as a stepping stone, he would have slow played his philosophy until he had his personnel.

I’ve not been on the “we should have kept air raid” team……but it’s painfully obvious that the transition to a run personnel was way too quick. Out of respect to Will’s knowledge to the air raid “his entire life” + the Leach legacy here at State…….we really have **** the bed with our OC hire. I’ll never understand…..

however, as we see Arnett continue to unravel and his incompetences float to the top, at least we will know “Why” it’s not worked. There will be no gray area.

Mistakes have been made, everywhere. Leach dying so suddenly just really really sucked in every facet. 17ing terrible.

Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
We have THE air raid qb on our roster, the last qb touched by Leach. If our OC really wanted to succeed here, without using us as a stepping stone, he would have slow played his philosophy until he had his personnel.

I’ve not been on the “we should have kept air raid” team……but it’s painfully obvious that the transition to a run personnel was way too quick. Out of respect to Will’s knowledge to the air raid “his entire life” + the Leach legacy here at State…….we really have **** the bed with our OC hire. I’ll never understand…..

however, as we see Arnett continue to unravel and his incompetences float to the top, at least we will know “Why” it’s not worked. There will be no gray area.

Mistakes have been made, everywhere. Leach dying so suddenly just really really sucked in every facet. 17ing terrible.
That press conference with Arnett after the Bama game was depressing.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012

This situation was unique with the Leach's untimely death and no AD. But, that is why Keenum is paid to make the big decisions. So far the results are not encouraging.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

And we should have overhauled the entire OL and brought in some DL and useful defensive backs, but we didn't.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
And we should have overhauled the entire OL and brought in some DL and useful defensive backs, but we didn't.
I’m sure we tried…..and we got a few power 5 transfers but again, with limited cash and fleeting volume in a state, per capita…-along with being divided 4 ways….MSU/UM/USM/HBC we are incredibly thin. Competing against the wealthiest football programs in the world, there’s just not a silver lining, facts. It will never be. We will never compete at football in this league. Ever.

As a university, we must prioritize, set values and attack where our best return and in house benefits build our resources , stock our collective and rock our basement. We have a house, built of network money….and it’s about to be jerked out from under us.

We better make a move before we receive the bad news.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Why do people keep referring to the “air raid transition” like that is the problem?

The offense is good enough to win most of the games….just like the last couple of years. THE DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Mississippi State scoring offense is 71st.
Mississippi State scoring defense is 99th.

It doesn't matter if the offense scores 27 points if the defense is giving up 40!

Reactions: LIdawg1157

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Why do people keep referring to the “air raid transition” like that is the problem?

The offense is good enough to win most of the games….just like the last couple of years. THE DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM.
It's not really. And the defense getting a bucket of turnovers won the AZ game or we're 1-4. This whole "the offense is fine BS" is silly. We're still bad on both sides. Now, some of that could be corrected with a QB, but that would've helped Leach too.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Show me evidence that MSU can do what it takes to overhaul the team from the portal in one year. You are dodging that question.
Obviously this team can not or has not done it. The fact that other teams have made drastic flips to theirbtoster and improved their performance proves it can be done. We are in the SEC and kids want to play in the SEC.

Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Obviously this team can not or has not done it. The fact that other teams have made drastic flips to theirbtoster and improved their performance proves it can be done. We are in the SEC and kids want to play in the SEC.
If you look at our portal signing this year and how many actually contribute on the field its awful. Look at the guys we got out of portal prior to this year, almost all of them were big contributors.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's not really. And the defense getting a bucket of turnovers won the AZ game or we're 1-4. This whole "the offense is fine BS" is silly. We're still bad on both sides. Now, some of that could be corrected with a QB, but that would've helped Leach too.
Do some research. We are where we always are on offense. Currently 73rd in scoring offense after playing the brunt of our schedule already. 102nd in defense. You tell me where the biggest issues are.

Mississippi State will never, ever be an offensive powerhouse. Our money guys either won’t or can’t pay up enough to get us there. Top 50 nationally is the absolute ceiling for us without a generational QB like Dak. But we can and should be better defensively.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If you look at our portal signing this year and how many actually contribute on the field its awful. Look at the guys we got out of portal prior to this year, almost all of them were big contributors.
You think maybe the fact that our coach 17ing died during the peak of the portal cycle might have had something to do with that?

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
You think maybe the fact that our coach 17ing died during the peak of the portal cycle might have had something to do with that?
No I think we had huge misses on the players we signed and did not address the obvious holes on the D line. bad talent evaluation and bad roster management.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

Maybe I’m looking for an excuse to be pessimistic, but I don’t buy it. Mullen took Tyson Lee, Chris Relf, and Anthony Dixon and took our rushing offense from dead last to middle of the pack in the SEC in year one. Good coaching means good result. **** coaching means ****** result.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Well after seeing this Tran wreck, do you trust Brad Peterson & Co. to be I charge of the talent evaluation and roster overhaul that is going to take place next year when 19 seniors leave and have to be replaced, many through the portal ?

It’s crucial to bring in a qualified, experienced HC after this season IMO.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
No I think we had huge misses on the players we signed and did not address the obvious holes on the D line. bad talent evaluation and bad roster management.
You can’t just up and find quality DL players (or any players) at the 11th hour in the portal when your program spends 5 weeks in limbo due to the death of a coach. The guys we brought in were all late and guys who were passed over by other programs….still a dice roll we had to make, but we were in a very poor position to succeed in the portal last December. You’re not going to find any SEC difference makers on the DL, anyway. Schools like us have to get those players from the high school ranks.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Do some research. We are where we always are on offense. Currently 73rd in scoring offense after playing the brunt of our schedule already. 102nd in defense. You tell me where the biggest issues are.

Mississippi State will never, ever be an offensive powerhouse. Our money guys either won’t or can’t pay up enough to get us there. Top 50 nationally is the absolute ceiling for us without a generational QB like Dak. But we can and should be better defensively.
I did the research. We are currently in the midst of our second worst offensive season, and second worst defensive season since we hired Mullen. Combine all the rankings together and it's the worst season we've had. In summary - we suck. Will be interesting to do this same comparison after a few more games.

You're pretty accurate saying we can be a around top 50 offense with a Chris Relf, Nick Fitz, or even Will Rogers at QB.

It's pretty interesting adding those rankings together and seeing that 2020, 2016, 2019, and 2009 are our 4 worst. I think we'd all agree that's very accurate based on the real results.

research.JPG

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

The defensive fall is enough to can arnett at the end of the season unless he can turn it around. I have no confidence about beating anyone and it's not because of the offense. It's because of the defense. Arnett spent so much energy changing offense and not paying attention to defenses because he thought he was good there. If we had a decent defense I would feel better about offense improving and getting to 6-7. But our defense just plain sucks

Reactions: hatfieldms

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So you are saying our coaches aren't as smart as Colorados ??
That has to do with who prime is. Kids will come to play for prime before they come to play for some bald white guys they never heard of before. That's the problem with our coaches being inexperienced in sec. They can't talk big time players into coming because they are unproven nobodies. Go get a coach with a name and reputation for being a good coach. We got that with Mullen and leach. Mullen coached Tebow. Leach was known for big numbers offense. You want that you got to go get another name that is known nationally for being good

Reactions: Pookieray
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login