We knew the transition away from the air raid would be tough

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why do people keep referring to the “air raid transition” like that is the problem?

The offense is good enough to win most of the games….just like the last couple of years. THE DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM.
While the offense is not great. The defense is the bigger issue.
Only unit that is much improved is special teams. Good job Coach Mele. He can stay if we get rid of arnett

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I did the research. We are currently in the midst of our second worst offensive season, and second worst defensive season since we hired Mullen. Combine all the rankings together and it's the worst season we've had. In summary - we suck. Will be interesting to do this same comparison after a few more games.

You're pretty accurate saying we can be a around top 50 offense with a Chris Relf, Nick Fitz, or even Will Rogers at QB.

It's pretty interesting adding those rankings together and seeing that 2020, 2016, 2019, and 2009 are our 4 worst. I think we'd all agree that's very accurate based on the real results.

View attachment 416729
Good post. But, please update it at the end of the year to see where we finish (talking mainly about the offense - we all agree the defense is historically bad). We’ve had a very front loaded schedule. 2 of first 5 had way more talent and 2 were roughly equal in talent. We only had a talent edge on 1 team.

Last 7 games, we have 2 opponents where we have a major talent advantage, 4 where are near equal, and only 1 (A&M) where we are at a deficit but not nearly to the extent we were against Bama and LSU. Even against Bama, we didn’t totally embarrass ourselves offensively outside of Will’s bad picks….was our best offensive execution against an elite defense in years. Offense has nowhere to go but up, in my opinion.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Good post. But, please update it at the end of the year to see where we finish (talking mainly about the offense - we all agree the defense is historically bad). We’ve had a very front loaded schedule. 2 of first 5 had way more talent and 2 were roughly equal in talent. We only had a talent edge on 1 team.

Last 7 games, we have 2 opponents where we have a major talent advantage, 4 where are near equal, and only 1 (A&M) where we are at a deficit but not nearly to the extent we were against Bama and LSU. Even against Bama, we didn’t totally embarrass ourselves offensively outside of Will’s bad picks….was our best offensive execution against an elite defense in years. Offense has nowhere to go but up, in my opinion.
This is what tells me the problem is Arnett. Seems everybody else is doing what they are supposed to and improving. Everything Arnett touches seems to be getting worse.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is what tells me the problem is Arnett. Seems everybody else is doing what they are supposed to and improving. Everything Arnett touches seems to be getting worse.
That may well end up being the case. But I’m going to reserve judgment until the end of the season. These discussions midseason after a few losses are always so predictable and pointless. Last year it was the same thing after the Kentucky game….”will Leach get fired after 6-6 or 5-7….blah blah blah.” Then the infamous “I only see 3 wins” idiocy after LSU. How’d all that dumbassery turn out?

The “how long or what happens to make us fire our coach” is the lowest common denominator of sports discussion. Good or bad, a bunch more unexpected / unpredictable shít is going to happen with MSU football over the next 7 games that will render all the September and October keystrokes pointless, one way or another. It’s always obvious when its time to move on, or stay the course. We all knew when Moorhead had to go, when Croom had to go, etc. Just watch the damn games and quit trying to predict how 10,000 different variables might all play out.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
You can’t just up and find quality DL players (or any players) at the 11th hour in the portal when your program spends 5 weeks in limbo due to the death of a coach. The guys we brought in were all late and guys who were passed over by other programs….still a dice roll we had to make, but we were in a very poor position to succeed in the portal last December. You’re not going to find any SEC difference makers on the DL, anyway. Schools like us have to get those players from the high school ranks.
then we had to spin time trying to buy back our own players like Zavian , Tulu and RaRa instead of pursuing other players.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Last 7 games, we have 2 opponents where we have a major talent advantage, 4 where are near equal, and only 1 (A&M) where we are at a deficit but not nearly to the extent we were against Bama and LSU.
I watched both the Flarda/Kentucky and the LSU/Northern Miss games this weekend. I’m sorry, but Kentucky and UNM seem much more talented than we are.

Reactions: blitz2Win

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
A coach has to make time to do both, that's part of the job that he's paid very well to do.
well considering a head coaches death during the season has never happened before , and he was hired 4 days before the memorial service and 5 days before early signing period, days before Christmas no less, i reiterate , having to spend several hours to buy back our own players during this time certainly could not have helped things.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login