We need a good sports discussion. Who is your favorite all-time bulldog?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Regardless of sport, who is your all-time favorite athlete to wear the maroon and white?

Little kid me would have said Will Clark. Before the CWS title me would have said Dak. But, that national title team and run is the most fun I’ve ever had as a bulldog fan. While that team had some studs like TA and Rowdy, nothing will ever get me as hyped again as sitting in the dude with 12k+ fans and hearing Still of the Night drop. Landon Sims is and will always be my dude. You can make a case that he is the most dominant bulldog ever in any of the 3 big sports. Sims is my most favorite bulldog of all time.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Regardless of sport, who is your all-time favorite athlete to wear the maroon and white?

nothing will ever get me as hyped again as sitting in the dude with 12k+ fans and hearing Still of the Night drop.

I was the same way when they played "Gods Gonna Cut You Down" for Jonathan Holder to come in from the bullpen. I wouldn't say he was my favorite but that song and him did something to me.

As for my favorites in football it would be a toss up between J.J. Johnson and Michael Davis, both were beasts with the ball in their hands and were not the "rah rah look at me pounding their chests" types either. They were blue collar get it done guys, both of them. For baseball its tough between TA and The Mayor. I'm barely a basketball fan at all but Jeff Malone is my top one, he played while I was in school and was unstoppable in his day.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Jake Mangum.... great player, but even better leader keeping the team together through 4 head coaches in his 4 years. Yea, he wasn't on the team that won the NC, but he had as much to do with it as anyone because without him, TA, Rowdy or Landon wouldn't have had the drive.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
If I had to pick just one, it'd be Jake Mangum. He is the definition of what it means to be a Mississippi State Bulldog. But by sport....

Football - JJ Johnson or Ashley Cooper
Baseball - Eric DuBose (we had some intense wrestling matches back when I was a Ron Polk baseball camper) or Mangum
Basketball - Lawrence Roberts or Timmy Bowers
Coach - the Kang

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Little kid me would have said Will Clark. Before the CWS title me would have said Dak. But, that national title team and run is the most fun I’ve ever had as a bulldog fan. While that team had some studs like TA and Rowdy, nothing will ever get me as hyped again as sitting in the dude with 12k+ fans and hearing Still of the Night drop. Landon Sims is and will always be my dude. You can make a case that he is the most dominant bulldog ever in any of the 3 big sports. Sims is my most favorite bulldog of all time.
Hoops: Suuuuuupeeeerrrrrrr DDDDDDD
Football: Moulds

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Way too many to reduce to one. But...
Football - Dillon Day for the stomp. We weren't little Missy State anymore.
Baseball - Will Bednar. His performance against Texas was sublime.
Basketball - James Varnado, he is still the All-Time record holder for block shots at 564. No. 1 Baby!

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I was the same way when they played "Gods Gonna Cut You Down" for Jonathan Holder to come in from the bullpen. I wouldn't say he was my favorite but that song and him did something to me.

As for my favorites in football it would be a toss up between J.J. Johnson and Michael Davis, both were beasts with the ball in their hands and were not the "rah rah look at me pounding their chests" types either. They were blue collar get it done guys, both of them. For baseball its tough between TA and The Mayor. I'm barely a basketball fan at all but Jeff Malone is my top one, he played while I was in school and was unstoppable in his day.
That duo was a LOT of fun to watch! I do believe that some of their OL counterparts made a longer run in the NFL than they did, so they were giving them some pretty solid head starts. But I can recall seeing JJ just torch a team, need a breather, and the we pound them with Davis. Kevin Bouie (sp?) was solid too.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Tommy Kelly....he played so hard for us****

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Baseball: Will Clark. Jake is probably THE GUY now, and TA & Rowdy got us over the hump, but I think a strong case could be made that if you trace everything back, The Thrill was "Player Zero" for State baseball.
Football: Similarly, Dak is the obvious choice nowadays, but for younger me there was only one... Bond. John 17'ing Bond.
Basketball only: Cameron Burns. If you were along the ride for those years and our first SEC championship in 30 years, you understand this one.

Overall: Dontae' Jones.

• Haha
Reactions: AROB44

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Smoot - Football
Mangum - baseball
Dontae Jones - Basketball only because of his ability to buckle down and hit the books over the summer when he needed to.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Dak - Football ---- best leader period
Mangum - baseball --- best leader on a baseball team we have ever had
Dontae Jones - Basketball --- he was so fun to watch

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Smoot - Football
Mangum - baseball
Dontae Jones - Basketball only because of his ability to buckle down and hit the books over the summer when he needed to.
"Basketball only because of his ability to buckle down and hit the books over the summer when he needed to** "

I added the asterisks for you because you seem to have forgotten them! What was it, 21 hrs in one summer?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Football: Johnie Cooks
Basketball: Chuckie Evans
Baseball: Don't have one.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

My favorite players are the ones who got the most out of their ability. I always feel like Dicenzo Miller was that guy.

Ask me this same question next week - I'm sure I'll pick another person but for today - it's Dicenzo.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Richard Keys. Not so much because he was a great player, which he certainly was, but because he was a good friend.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Woops, I left off a complete semester. Hell I left off 21 hours and I never had that many in a whole semester much less part of a summer. I took just enough hours to maintain full time status as a student but insure that I could stretch out my time here to the max. Those co-op semesters helped a lot too. I always told mom and dad I was working and shouldn't take so many hours that my grades would suffer, then they always asked why my grades suffered when I only had 12 hrs? If dyslexia had existed then I would have used that as an excuse I'm sure.......

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
That duo was a LOT of fun to watch! I do believe that some of their OL counterparts made a longer run in the NFL than they did, so they were giving them some pretty solid head starts. But I can recall seeing JJ just torch a team, need a breather, and the we pound them with Davis. Kevin Bouie (sp?) was solid too.
Davis and Bouie played rogether in early 90s. Then Keifer, then Johnson and Keifer were slated for 97-98 until Keifer died before school in 97.

EarlDawg

Aug 23, 2012
For me, the answer lies in this question, What Mississippi State player continues their passion for Mississippi state now as they did when they played? It's Bailey Howell and Jake Mangum.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Hard to narrow down to only one in each sport, but here goes:

Baseball- Will Clark
Basketball- Bailey Howell
Football- Billy Stacy/ William Earl Morgan (I'm an old guy)

Reactions: thatsbaseball
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login