We need a William Liston

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Nah. This is what’s needed

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Donald Duck Money GIF

Pay Day Money GIF

There ain’t that many people who are that comfortable enough to give— and that includes me.

Asking folks to give to NIL in inflationary times is a mighty big ask.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
honestly, if it takes me helping to buy a championship? I’m out. Being a fan is something I do for fun. It doesn’t define me. I’m not going to take money away from my family to help buy a tight end.

I really do hate where sports are now
I hate that they’re going this way but it’s the way it’s going.

I’m not at a point where NIL giving is a high priority.

My priorities are:

1. Beef up the savings account (as @OG Goat Holder noted several days ago I have to have enough money on hand for when my CR-V’s hybrid battery fails sometime after the next four years). I also have some landscaping stuff I’d like to have done in the next year or two too.

2. Have fun. Most of y’all know I love live music. I’ll be doing some of that. I’d also like to do a little traveling this coming summer. I’m well overdue for a Carolinas - Georgia tour to see kin and friends. I might add the Copa America to that.

3. Mundane stuff like FSA. I’ve maxed out my ‘24 deduction. I had to postpone at least one procedure this year because I changed jobs.

4. The Gub’mint. A healthy chunk of my PERS retirement checks go towards federal, state, and property taxes.

5. Planned Giving. I still give to the college where I previously worked. I’m also planning to give to my employer (yeah, it’s a non-profit) and will begin doing so next year. Being familiar with the two institutions and people involved, I know I’d be helping people.

I’m at a point where I feel like I could help State some financially with similarly-sized donations but I’m much more interested in the academic end rather than going the Bulldog Club route that my father did.

The Bulldog Club and athletics don’t interest me. It’s been my experience that the gameday environment frankly isn’t welcoming for someone who goes to games solo. I’m also not all that sold on if I’d be making a similar impact helping by donating to NIL.

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
honestly, if it takes me helping to buy a championship? I’m out. Being a fan is something I do for fun. It doesn’t define me. I’m not going to take money away from my family to help buy a tight end.

I give a lot but i am ready to close the zipper on my billfold also.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I buy tickets and go to games. That’s how I help. And by proxy, the BC.

If I lived somewhere I couldn’t do that, I would consider giving to NIL. Or maybe if I had 17U money.

That’s the way I view things.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not saying anyone “should” do anything with your money. But you don’t have to donate a lot to NIL. We need $100-$500 per year donors too. And if you’re contributing to the Bulldog Club but not NIL, you may as well be throwing your money into the ocean. It does next to no good in the Bulldog Club.

Reactions: bkmaroon

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
Not saying anyone “should” do anything with your money. But you don’t have to donate a lot to NIL. We need $100-$500 per year donors too. And if you’re contributing to the Bulldog Club but not NIL, you may as well be throwing your money into the ocean. It does next to no good in the Bulldog Club.
Bulldog club money gets you into a decent section at Davis Wade, for whatever that's worth.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bulldog club money gets you into a decent section at Davis Wade, for whatever that's worth.
As cheap as tickets are on the secondary market, not much. But yeah, if you’re giving to BC for your tickets that’s one thing. But if you think you’re helping out the program, your money could be much better spent by the NIL Initiative.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
As cheap as tickets are on the secondary market, not much. But yeah, if you’re giving to BC for your tickets that’s one thing. But if you think you’re helping out the program, your money could be much better spent by the NIL Initiative.
Perhaps. I'll give all mine to BC and the MSU Foundation and you give all yours to NIL. Works out the same in the long run but I don't have to contribute to a system I don't like.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
When you are on disability and retired, you tend to spend your money in some different places than giving it to a football team. Getting vehicles paid for, making sure we get some equity in the home and just buying the groceries each week are what I'm spending most of my money on. If what I give to the football team defines how much of a fan I am it's too bad for me, I kind of expected it after the NIL got started.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Perhaps. I'll give all mine to BC and the MSU Foundation and you give all yours to NIL. Works out the same in the long run but I don't have to contribute to a system I don't like.
I don’t like it either. But I want Mississippi State to be competitive. Not that what I’m giving helps a whole lot more than the amount you’re giving.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Do we really? That was the same sell during the big BC push around 2006 and 2007. Seems to me that a few big donors are where the best bang for the buck is. They are the ones who get to make the decisions anyway.

Better yet, need to get our pro sports players much more involved (not talking about baseball, they are all super involved, and shocker, that’s our best program).

Reactions: Mr. Cook

patdog

May 28, 2007
Do we really? That was the same sell during the big BC push around 2006 and 2007. Seems to me that a few big donors are where the best bang for the buck is. They are the ones who get to make the decisions anyway.

Better yet, need to get our pro sports players much more involved (not talking about baseball, they are all super involved, and shocker, that’s our best program).
10,000 people giving $500 each would be $5,000,000/year. Of course you need big donors. But the small donors are important too.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004

I had an entire diatribe ready to post about all of this, but I can’t say it better than you did. Thanks, friend.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I’ll go on record and say the Bears will be 8-3 going into the Egg Bowl, will lose to us (to get us to 6-6 or so) and miss the playoff. Kiffin to Flarrda
We have so many problems to work out from last year's team. I'll be surprised and glad if we go 6-6. I hope we do better, but I'm not expecting a 180 from last year's team. I believe the new coach will make things much better, but I'm looking at the strength of the rest of the league. At least the teams that we have to play.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
We have so many problems to work out from last year's team. I'll be surprised and glad if we go 6-6. I hope we do better, but I'm not expecting a 180 from last year's team. I believe the new coach will make things much better, but I'm looking at the strength of the rest of the league. At least the teams that we have to play.
If we go 6-6, Lebby deserves a nice raise. And Mississippi is winning 10 games again next year, Egg Bowl being one.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We were 5-7 with a coaching staff comparable to Croom. 6-6 isn’t that big of an improvement.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
You would never see a thread bitching about NIL on our rivals fan sites.
we should all be donating and we should all be pulling the same rope. Instead we have those on here saying I hate where the sport is going or I’m not gonna give them my money. We aren’t asking you to give up all your money. I would venture to say most on here could give up 10 to 50 a month, for some reason we have those that think you have to give 100 or more a month and that’s not the case at all. . If you want to win and you want to be competitive like we all want to then let’s all start doing our part. We finally have an AD and HC willing and able to do what’s best for MSU. Let’s go all in.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If we don’t fund our NIL, we can’t compete in this era of college football. Simple as that…
True, but you should also add that if we underfund it, we won't compete either. As one of the insignificant funders of said program, I can assure you it's very frustrating. Being the poorest fan base (and being without a significant big dollar donor class) in the SEC is going to ensure we likely stay underfunded. Until the conference figures out how to institute some kind of salary cap, we are probably going to be a punching bag.

I'm a fan of MLB, NFL, and NCAA athletic teams. Only 1 of these organizations has somehow ended up asking me to directly pay players after 20 years of directly paying for the coaches and facilities. It's become nothing more than 17ing panhandling.

Living far away makes it hard to go to any of my teams games. My NFL and MLB teams might get a few bucks from me if I buy some merchandise, but that's it. As big a greedy cùnt as Jerry Jones is, he doesn't even have the nerve to just straight up ask for donations. Yet my alma mater needs me to give $500 a year to the Bulldog Club and another $500 to NiL otherwise I am not doing my part and it's my fault we are losing. College athletics are becoming absolute garbage.

Seriously running out of 17s to give. I am getting to where the only reason I care about the losing is because of my wasted money. Seems like the simple solution is to quit wasting my money. I am caught considering how much more productive my BDC and NiL $ would be in my kids sports programs. Reality is I barely watch MSU sports live (in person or on TV) these days anyway. So much more enjoyable things to do on a Saturday in the fall than watch semi professional football.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You would never see a thread bitching about NIL on our rivals fan sites.
we should all be donating and we should all be pulling the same rope. Instead we have those on here saying I hate where the sport is going or I’m not gonna give them my money. We aren’t asking you to give up all your money. I would venture to say most on here could give up 10 to 50 a month, for some reason we have those that think you have to give 100 or more a month and that’s not the case at all. . If you want to win and you want to be competitive like we all want to then let’s all start doing our part. We finally have an AD and HC willing and able to do what’s best for MSU. Let’s go all in.
I draw the line at paying the players for basically nothing, at least as a communal, group-funded, all-in sort of thing.

For years I have given to the BDC and some academic things. Not a ton, but I helped where I could. I buy tickets and merch, generally always through the school, so they make the money. I try to do business with State people. I like to spend money in Starkville. Again, I'm just some guy, my part isn't much, but I feel like I can contribute in that way.

I can't do the blanket pay-for-play crap. Just can't, and won't. If I had a business and a player could help me sell something, I would probably do that. But I can't get in on the now-legal pay-for-play. I don't admonish anybody who does, it's not a moral thing. It's a "I don't want to give MY money to that" thing. I'm thankful we have some rich boosters who can, and have helped us over the years. But I don't have that type of money, and again, lines have to be drawn at some point.

And further, I don't see NIL being an advantage that MSU will ever utilize to close any gaps, at least in football. I don't even see Ole Miss just continually doing this, year after year. I could see it in basketball and baseball and perhaps I will donate to that at some point in the future.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Does any financial reporting exist? Before I spend more than a few bucks on it, I'd want to see some basic financials and some supplements. How much is going in and out. What goes to players? What goes to admin/marketing/etc? What's the cash balance. What are the liabilities? How many donors? What's the avg donation? What's the count of donors by certain levels (<50/mth, 50-100, and so on).

I don't think we need to disclose specific payouts to players or anything, I just want to know 2 basic things: who is funding it (do we need more big money or are the little guys getting lazy?) and how much of my contribution go to admin (I'm not contributing to give paper pushers a pay day)

I ask these things at church. There's no reason we shouldn't have this info available for NIL as well. If it's apparent we need my 50 bucks a month as Joe blow fan, then publish that story. If we are fine there, pressure the big money folks by highlighting it's not there. Maybe this is out there but I doubt it....

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
OM has a similar HS class to us. Honestly, I think ours ends up better. Then look at the teams last year that won the transfer portal. Those teams weren't great. Colorado? Louisville? USC? UCLA? Auburn? You guys should stop getting carried away.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I draw the line at paying the players for basically nothing, at least as a communal, group-funded, all-in sort of thing.

For years I have given to the BDC and some academic things. Not a ton, but I helped where I could. I buy tickets and merch, generally always through the school, so they make the money. I try to do business with State people. I like to spend money in Starkville. Again, I'm just some guy, my part isn't much, but I feel like I can contribute in that way.

I can't do the blanket pay-for-play crap. Just can't, and won't. If I had a business and a player could help me sell something, I would probably do that. But I can't get in on the now-legal pay-for-play. I don't admonish anybody who does, it's not a moral thing. It's a "I don't want to give MY money to that" thing. I'm thankful we have some rich boosters who can, and have helped us over the years. But I don't have that type of money, and again, lines have to be drawn at some point.

And further, I don't see NIL being an advantage that MSU will ever utilize to close any gaps, at least in football. I don't even see Ole Miss just continually doing this, year after year. I could see it in basketball and baseball and perhaps I will donate to that at some point in the future.
Here is my problem, and it applies to a lot of people. I’ll also preface it by saying give what you want, I don’t care. The fact that we all choose to be State fans is currency enough to give you the right to *****. But to my original thought, you and so many like you have chastised people for not being like you and “sacrificing” your money to go to games and give to BDC. Realistically though, it wasn’t magnanimous. You were doing it because you enjoy going to games. It was what was in it for you. So to all of those people who felt like chastising someone for not giving to BDC or going to games but now refuses to give to NIL because there is no benefit for you whether it be tickets or tax break, maybe you should re-evaluate your criticisms.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Here is my problem, and it applies to a lot of people. I’ll also preface it by saying give what you want, I don’t care. The fact that we all choose to be State fans is currency enough to give you the right to *****. But to my original thought, you and so many like you have chastised people for not being like you and “sacrificing” your money to go to games and give to BDC. Realistically though, it wasn’t magnanimous. You were doing it because you enjoy going to games. It was what was in it for you. So to all of those people who felt like chastising someone for not giving to BDC or going to games but now refuses to give to NIL because there is no benefit for you whether it be tickets or tax break, maybe you should re-evaluate your criticisms.
I get you, but it's hard to eliminate that element.

You could argue that they are making it tougher and tougher to go to games. I don't buy that, because yes, attending games is enjoyable albeit expensive (though there are ways to attend more cheaply). But it's that fact alone that, to me, makes it something all our fans should be willing to do, on a somewhat consistent basis.

Asking mainly middle-class people to give their money to NIL is a different proposition altogether. And really the BDC....I don't remember ever chastising anyone for not giving to the BDC. I have said before, that if you live far away, and can't attend games, it's a good thing to donate to one of those. Do something, in other words.

Plus - you get to choose where you live. You can live in Starkville and reap those benefits if you so choose, by getting to attend all the time. If you choose to live far away, you can't look down on people who live close and act like they have it easier.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I get you, but it's hard to eliminate that element.

You could argue that they are making it tougher and tougher to go to games. I don't buy that, because yes, attending games is enjoyable albeit expensive (though there are ways to attend more cheaply). But it's that fact alone that, to me, makes it something all our fans should be willing to do, on a somewhat consistent basis.

Asking mainly middle-class people to give their money to NIL is a different proposition altogether. And really the BDC....I don't remember ever chastising anyone for not giving to the BDC. I have said before, that if you live far away, and can't attend games, it's a good thing to donate to one of those. Do something, in other words.

Plus - you get to choose where you live. You can live in Starkville and reap those benefits if you so choose, by getting to attend all the time. If you choose to live far away, you can't look down on people who live close and act like they have it easier.
I say this with all due respect to anyone who gives but if you or anyone cannot find money to give to BI then why give to the BC?

Again not telling you or anyone what to do with your money but to me of you give money to the BI it directly affects the outcome of who and what we can offer to get players.

This is just my opinion and that is if we had more people giving even its 10 a month we would be better off. And I encourage everyone who has issues or questions and concerns call or email Charlie

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Bears buying a championship
No they aren't. They think they are buying themselves a better shot at making the playoffs, which they *might* do, and then they *might* win a game if so. That's where it will end, if they get that far. We'll see if their expensive gamble pays off.

But they aren't buying a championship, no matter how much sucking all their sychophants in maroon clothing on here do.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I say this with all due respect to anyone who gives but if you or anyone cannot find money to give to BI then why give to the BC?

Again not telling you or anyone what to do with your money but to me of you give money to the BI it directly affects the outcome of who and what we can offer to get players.

This is just my opinion and that is if we had more people giving even its 10 a month we would be better off. And I encourage everyone who has issues or questions and concerns call or email Charlie
First, because it's required for many tickets, and secondly, it's still a part of the school, and for scholarships and facilities.

Maybe I'm just old school, and like the old model, and this is my way of standing up to the rising tide. And mainly, I just don't have the appetite for such a bad return on player investment. The big boy boosters have always handled paying players before, and for that I am grateful. For Charlie Winfield, I am grateful. One day if I am ever rich, I'll consider. But I'm not.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login