We were punked!

82bordeaux

Oct 29, 2021
Now we have 2 sites to suck up my time? Really?

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Did anyone really think that the Rivals site would decide NOT to have forums/message boards?

86PSUPaul

Oct 11, 2021
Did anyone really think that the Rivals site would decide NOT to have forums/message boards?
I like that everything stayed the same, I thought maybe there would be a wipe. Interestingly enough, the address bar still calls the page BWI.Forums.Rivals, I wonder if that will change? I have zero knowledge of how page addresses work

Reactions: Str8dblz

Str8dblz

Oct 31, 2021
I like that everything stayed the same, I thought maybe there would be a wipe. Interestingly enough, the address bar still calls the page BWI.Forums.Rivals, I wonder if that will change? I have zero knowledge of how page addresses work
Page propagation can take anywhere from 2 hours to 48 hours. However BWI.forums would be called a subdomain of the Rivals.com website and would require the folder structure to be rebuilt and again could re-propogate in less than 48 hours if they were to change it.

If they do rename it then it would break your links unless they automatically repoint any traffic to the old locations to a new location.

Sorry if I lost you in the spaghetti map above but that's the jist of it.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
Page propagation can take anywhere from 2 hours to 48 hours. However BWI.forums would be called a subdomain of the Rivals.com website and would require the folder structure to be rebuilt and again could re-propogate in less than 48 hours if they were to change it.

If they do rename it then it would break your links unless they automatically repoint any traffic to the old locations to a new location.

Sorry if I lost you in the spaghetti map above but that's the jist of it.
That's sorta right--propogation wait time has to do with DNS changes--subdomains included, but a subdomain change doesn't usually involve diretory structure, and clearly this site is db driven (which may not use subdirs at all). Could be as simple as an alias definition in the virtualhost definition to keep BWI.whatever working while they stand up a new subdomain, then later redirect BWI back to the new name. It should be pretty seamless for the users either way.

Reactions: Str8dblz

Dogwelder

Oct 8, 2021
That's sorta right--propogation wait time has to do with DNS changes--subdomains included, but a subdomain change doesn't usually involve diretory structure, and clearly this site is db driven (which may not use subdirs at all). Could be as simple as an alias definition in the virtualhost definition to keep BWI.whatever working while they stand up a new subdomain, then later redirect BWI back to the new name. It should be pretty seamless for the users either way.
Pretty seamless as long they don’t have to reset the flux capacitor.