Weather nerds........Milton

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Probably just going in to change the direction of the path. New voter registration data came in *******************************************

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I always think at some point someone said .... Hey I've got an idea, let's fly an airplane straight into it. Who wants to go first?
I'd think turbulence and downdrafts would be the biggie. The cruising speed of an airliner is maybe 550 mph (in much thinner atmosphere) but landing speed is pretty close to the wind speed of Milton. You get bounced around a lot more flying into a hurricane, but the relative wind speed, if that was the only factor, shouldn't be a huge deal. That said, I'm not going to fly into a hurricane.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
That’s what all the local Tampa and Orlando weather guys are saying too. My family is at Disney now. We got here before they were sure exactly what this storm would do. By the time they figured it out, a flight out was virtually impossible.

I grew up in Tampa, so I’ve been through a few of these. Typically, as far inland as Orlando is usually fine… but I’m still concerned. I’m more concerned for friends and family in Tampa though. That is a town with a flooding problem anyway and looks like the worst of this storm will be the surge.
Disney is closing everything in phases starting tomorrow, I think at noon. I believe the forecast is for 100 mph winds in Orlando.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Use less C02. They didn't drive cars either. I don't think they had TikTok either. I think they lived differently if I'm not mistaken and there were fewer people. They didn't live as long but I think that's because they were vaccinated***
Seriously, do most people who think there's no such thing as climate change, with part of it is because of how we live, because they studied the science and think scientists are idiots? Or is it because of some crazy policy responses proposed by far lefties?
My guess is any negativity toward "climate change" in general would be the second thing. Plus, a certain faith in humanity to adapt. As has been said in this debate a few times, humans' inventions (like say, medicine, air conditioning, insulation, etc.) have saved way more lives than they have caused deaths.

Last edited:
Reactions: L4Dawg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It can weaken and still be the most costly and destructive hurricane of all time simply due to where it makes landfall. The insurance industry is about to have a real stress test. Tampa is the ONE city that they never wanted to see take a direct hit. We're also about to see just how robust the worldwide reinsurance industry is. Lloyds hasn't seen anything like this. Capital may be hard to come by for new reinsurance purchases next year.
Why and how did we get to a place where we think Tampa would not get hit with a major hurricane at some point in time? These storms have always happened and we continue to build bigger, more concentrated and more expensive every time they hit. Insanity anyone?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
My guess is any negativity toward "climate change" in general would be the second thing. Plus, a certain faith in humanity to adapt. As has been said in this debate a few times, humans' inventions (like say, medicine, air conditioning, insulation, etc.) have saved way more lives than they have caused deaths.
Yes they have and science and technology will likely help mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Ignore the unformed on the extremes and let scientists and engineers figure out solutions that are reasonable. I'm not giving up air conditioning, air travel, modern medicine etc.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Not sure when that wind shear is expected but this morning the top of Milton was getting lopped off by it and it just pushed through it, like someone else said Michael did. I assume there is more?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Yes they have and science and technology will likely help mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Ignore the unformed on the extremes and let scientists and engineers figure out solutions that are reasonable. I'm not giving up air conditioning, air travel, modern medicine etc.
"Ignore the uninformed on the extremes" is a really good and necessary life philosophy these days. It's harder than it should be sometimes, I'll admit.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Use less C02. They didn't drive cars either. I don't think they had TikTok either. I think they lived differently if I'm not mistaken and there were fewer people. They didn't live as long but I think that's because they were vaccinated***
Seriously, do most people who think there's no such thing as climate change, with part of it is because of how we live, because they studied the science and think scientists are idiots? Or is it because of some crazy policy responses proposed by far lefties?
Earth is 4.3 Billion years old. The climate of Earth has been changing for 4.3 Billion years. The climate of Earth will continue to change for the remainder of the existence of Earth. Humankind is a gnat's fart in relation to the climate history of Earth. Earth's climate has been MUCH more extreme. Long before humans occupied it. "Climate change" is short for income redistribution. That's why it's always tied to a tax of some sort

Last edited:

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Not sure when that wind shear is expected but this morning the top of Milton was getting lopped off by it and it just pushed through it, like someone else said Michael did. I assume there is more?
Last I heard today was going to be its peak and then start coming back down for good. It went through an eyewall replacement cycle last night which weakened it, but it's coming back now and a 5 again.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Earth is 4.3 Billion years old. The climate of Earth has been changing for 4.3 Billion years. The climate of Earth will continue to change for the remainder of the existence of Earth. Humankind is a gnat's fart in relation to the climate history of Earth. Earth's climate has been MUCH more extreme. Long before humans occupied it. "Climate change" is short for income redistribution. That's why it's always tied to a tax of some sort
Do you really think climate scientists are this selfish and so ignorant that they are unaware that earth's climate has changed over time? Is this something we should tell them? Do you really think scientists are gonna read this and say "oh shite, I didn't know that. All those years of education wasted." Climate changes from natural disasters have devastated some societies and the little Ice Age was unpleasant for lots of people. Try not to confuse science with public policy and conspiracies about taxes and redistribution pushed by some far lefties.

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
Hey @615dawg... When you read through a thread like this and see how stupid some Mississippi State fans (and presumably graduates) are, it kinda feels like we may be overrated in the USNWR academics ratings, no? Anything better than 450 is probably too high with some of these morons dragging us down.
Beg pardon?

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Do you really think climate scientists are this selfish and so ignorant that they are unaware that earth's climate has changed over time? Is this something we should tell them? Do you really think scientists are gonna read this and say "oh shite, I didn't know that. All those years of education wasted." Climate changes from natural disasters have devastated some societies and the little Ice Age was unpleasant for lots of people. Try not to confuse science with public policy and conspiracies about taxes and redistribution pushed by some far lefties.
"Climate scientists " receive their income from government contracts. They're not independent

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login