Weekend Rooting Guide

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Priority one is to win. Win Saturday and the rest of this post only matters for seeding purposes. Lose to Vandy though, and we may find ourselves nervously watching other results all the way through Selection Sunday.

Should be pretty clear who we are cheering against this weekend - anyone who is a bubble team.

Tennessee over Auburn
Duke over North Carolina
Minnesota over Wisconsin
Maryland over Penn State
Indiana over Michigan
UNLV over Nevada

In the Pac-12, Arizona State-USC is a case of two bubble teams facing off. USC is 50 in the NET today, AZ State is 63. The game is at USC so it's a Q1 game for AZ State and Q2 for USC. If your preference is to pull for teams with a higher projected seed than us, then you are for Arizona State to beat USC. If your preference is to pull for lower projected teams to lose so they don't gain ground on us, you are for USC. I love Bobby Hurley. I hope he finds a way into the tournament, just not at our expense. (Nor do I want to play them.) This one tips off about the time ours ends. If we win, I'll be for Arizona State. If we lose, I will have to cheer for USC.

Basically the same situation happens in the Mountain West, where Boise State (NET 27) plays Utah State (22). Great example of the NET just being one metric because even though Utah State is highly ranked in the NET, they seem to be considered very bubbly by Lunardi, Palm, and Bracket Matrix. Boise State is a 10 seed for Lunardi and a 9 for Palm which seems to be about right. Utah State is Lunardi's fourth team out. Palm only lists four, and Utah State is not on that list so they are at least the 5th team out for him. This game is at Utah State, so losing on the road to a top 25 NET team probably won't hurt Boise too much. Meanwhile Utah State is 0-4 in Q1 and desperate to get their first win in that category. I think Boise State is safely in the tournament so I'll pull for them to deal a kill shot to Utah State.

West Virginia plays host to K-State. Huggins is probably going to get in the tournament, but I'd be fine with him dropping down into the Dayton games while we ascend to the main draw. K-State winning this game helps our chances of that.

Oklahoma State goes to Texas Tech. I think losing the last two to TCU and Kansas have ended the Texas Tech at-large dream, and beating a middling Oklahoma State team at home probably won't get them back in the picture. So we are for Texas Tech to win and deal Oklahoma State another serious blow to their hopes.

Maybe Northwestern and Rutgers is a bubble game? Rutgers took a loss to Minnesota last night that is Q3 by a hair and could fall to Q4 over the next several days. Another loss would not help their case. Northwestern has lost three straight after putting themselves in position to win the Big 10. I think Northwestern is the safer team here as far as getting a bid, so I will pull for them to win and keep Rutgers on the slide down.

College of Charleston has an at-large case from the CAA (Colonial). It's weak, but it's a case. Palm has them in as an at large, Lunardi does not. They tied for their league title with Hofstra but lost the only head to head matchup so Hofstra is the 1 seed in the tournament. Hofstra would not get in without winning the CAA tournament, so pull for Charleston to win it and keep it a one bid league. The CAA tournament starts today, ends Tuesday. Charleston doesn't play until Sunday.

I don't think losing to Houston would hurt Memphis at all. Lose to Memphis and then lose early in the AAC tournament though, then Memphis might be sweating.

I'm sure I missed somebody, so please add to it if I did.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
West Virginia plays host to K-State. Huggins is probably going to get in the tournament, but I'd be fine with him dropping down into the Dayton games while we ascend to the main draw. K-State winning this game helps our chances of that.
WVU jumped us with their win at ISU, so itd be great if they dropped back down with a loss to KSU.
No play-in for us.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
The Mountain West is the conference that concerns me the most. I mentioned a few days ago that Utah State was a team to keep an eye on. While I also believe Boise St. is in as well as San Diego St, Utah St. has a legitimate shot of winning their conference tournament.

Would the committee put 3 Mountain West teams in or if Utah St wins this weekend against Boise and then wins the conference tournament, would Utah St. replace Boise in the tournament?

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
The Mountain West is the conference that concerns me the most. I mentioned a few days ago that Utah State was a team to keep an eye on. While I also believe Boise St. is in as well as San Diego St, Utah St. has a legitimate shot of winning their conference tournament.

Would the committee put 3 Mountain West teams in or if Utah St wins this weekend against Boise and then wins the conference tournament, would Utah St. replace Boise in the tournament?
You also have Nevada who is in or almost in for most. They are looking at possibly four with SD State, Boise St, Nevada and Utah State. New Mexico would be the worst bid stealer. I think they were the last undefeated team this year but have struggled in conference play. But a coach named Pitino and a star player named Mashburn is a magical combination.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Priority one is to win. Win Saturday and the rest of this post only matters for seeding purposes. Lose to Vandy though, and we may find ourselves nervously watching other results all the way through Selection Sunday.

Should be pretty clear who we are cheering against this weekend - anyone who is a bubble team.

Tennessee over Auburn
Duke over North Carolina
Minnesota over Wisconsin
Maryland over Penn State
Indiana over Michigan
UNLV over Nevada

In the Pac-12, Arizona State-USC is a case of two bubble teams facing off. USC is 50 in the NET today, AZ State is 63. The game is at USC so it's a Q1 game for AZ State and Q2 for USC. If your preference is to pull for teams with a higher projected seed than us, then you are for Arizona State to beat USC. If your preference is to pull for lower projected teams to lose so they don't gain ground on us, you are for USC. I love Bobby Hurley. I hope he finds a way into the tournament, just not at our expense. (Nor do I want to play them.) This one tips off about the time ours ends. If we win, I'll be for Arizona State. If we lose, I will have to cheer for USC.

Basically the same situation happens in the Mountain West, where Boise State (NET 27) plays Utah State (22). Great example of the NET just being one metric because even though Utah State is highly ranked in the NET, they seem to be considered very bubbly by Lunardi, Palm, and Bracket Matrix. Boise State is a 10 seed for Lunardi and a 9 for Palm which seems to be about right. Utah State is Lunardi's fourth team out. Palm only lists four, and Utah State is not on that list so they are at least the 5th team out for him. This game is at Utah State, so losing on the road to a top 25 NET team probably won't hurt Boise too much. Meanwhile Utah State is 0-4 in Q1 and desperate to get their first win in that category. I think Boise State is safely in the tournament so I'll pull for them to deal a kill shot to Utah State.

Oklahoma State goes to Texas Tech. I think losing the last two to TCU and Kansas have ended the Texas Tech at-large dream, and beating a middling Oklahoma State team at home probably won't get them back in the picture. So we are for Texas Tech to win and deal Oklahoma State another serious blow to their hopes.

Maybe Northwestern and Rutgers is a bubble game? Rutgers took a loss to Minnesota last night that is Q3 by a hair and could fall to Q4 over the next several days. Another loss would not help their case. Northwestern has lost three straight after putting themselves in position to win the Big 10. I think Northwestern is the safer team here as far as getting a bid, so I will pull for them to win and keep Rutgers on the slide down.

College of Charleston has an at-large case from the CAA (Colonial). It's weak, but it's a case. Palm has them in as an at large, Lunardi does not. They tied for their league title with Hofstra but lost the only head to head matchup so Hofstra is the 1 seed in the tournament. Hofstra would not get in without winning the CAA tournament, so pull for Charleston to win it and keep it a one bid league. The CAA tournament starts today, ends Tuesday. Charleston doesn't play until Sunday.

I don't think losing to Houston would hurt Memphis at all. Lose to Memphis and then lose early in the AAC tournament though, then Memphis might be sweating.

I'm sure I missed somebody, so please add to it if I did.
Need to keep an eye on the Missouri Valley Conference Tourney. Right now Bradley and Drake are neck and neck. Will both get bids if one wins or loses the tourney? What we don't won't to happen is someone lower than them winning it all.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Need to keep an eye on the Missouri Valley Conference Tourney. Right now Bradley and Drake are neck and neck. Will both get bids if one wins or loses the tourney? What we don't won't to happen is someone lower than them winning it all.
MVC is likely a one bid league this year. C-USA is the mid major tourney I would worry about most with stolen bids.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Akron lost at Kent state in OT last night. They’re sitting at 103 NET. It’d be nice for them to move up to 100 to make that one a Q2.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I want to submit Iowa State at Baylor.

Iowa State has lost 4 in a row. A loss to Baylor would be 5 losses to end the regular season. They are probably safe to get in with a NET of 28 coming into today, but I could see the committee considering them for a play-in game with that final stretch.

That being said, they lead 33-22 at the half.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The main thing for us is we don't want a team to sneak in via conf tourney that already has a team locked in from said conference. That's the only way a Cinderella can hurt us unless that conf also had a team on the bubble like us but didn't win that conf tourney forcing us to compete with that team for a bid.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I want to submit Iowa State at Baylor.

Iowa State has lost 4 in a row. A loss to Baylor would be 5 losses to end the regular season. They are probably safe to get in with a NET of 28 coming into today, but I could see the committee considering them for a play-in game with that final stretch.

That being said, they lead 33-22 at the half.
Iowa State dominated Baylor in Waco.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If we win tonight, we're probably in, but if we lose tonight, we're probably out. People here remain too optimistic about our chances.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
FYI with Kentucky beating Arkansas we are now locked into the 8 vs 9 early game on Thursday. Will be against Florida if they beat LSU, or against Arkansas if LSU wins.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Florida beat LSU so we are locked in as the 9 seed in the SEC Tournament. Will play 8 seed Florida in the first game Thursday.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Mixed bag with results in other games today. Nevada and North Carolina losing is good, Auburn and Utah State winning is not good.

Root for USC over Arizona State in the late game tonight and then we could really use some positive results in the Big 10 tomorrow.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Really need Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan to lose tomorrow. It sucks that it seems each time we have an opportunity to get a win to really solidify a tournament spot, (Kentucky, at Missouri, at Vanderbilt) we lose, which leaves us clinging to the edge of the bubble hoping other teams around us also lose.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
USC beat Arizona State in the late game, positive result for us. Us losing today hurts but it’s cushioned some by multiple teams that are supposedly behind us on the bubble also losing.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Losing last night was the biggest result of our day, but at least it was eased a bit by Duke, UNLV and USC dispatching of their bubble opponents. Kudos to West Virginia and Auburn for winning games I thought they would lose. Would love to get more help in the Big 10 today. If I could only get one result I think I would choose Northwestern over Rutgers, although I have to think Minnesota beating Wisconsin would completely close the door on the Badgers.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Would love to get more help in the Big 10 today. If I could only get one result I think I would choose Northwestern over Rutgers, although I have to think Minnesota beating Wisconsin would completely close the door on the Badgers.

Would love Minnesota to win for our own resume, but Wisconsin is more than done. A 77 NET / 17 regular season win team is never getting in without an auto bid.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Would love Minnesota to win for our own resume, but Wisconsin is more than done. A 77 NET / 17 regular season win team is never getting in without an auto bid.
Lunardi still has Wisconsin as one of his last four in as of last night. I don’t understand why or how, but he’s had them in the last four in for a long time now, no matter how many games they keep losing.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Penn State got a tip in at the buzzer to beat Maryland at home. Not a good result for us.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Tough break for us. Doesn’t necessarily mean Penn State leapfrogs us but it’s closer now.

Would feel better if we got some help in these other Big 10 games this evening.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Minnesota winning tonight would be wild cuz they are awful this season.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Wisconsin struggled to a four-point win at horrible Minnesota while Rutgers was pretty much dominated at home by Northwestern. I still think we’re in pretty good shape as long as we beat Florida.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Wisconsin/Minnesota was hard to watch. Minnesota lost that game as much as Wisconsin won it.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Lunardi updated last night.

State still top of the last four in.

Palm updated this morning. Also in Dayton, although the #2 team sent there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login