Weekend Rotation announced…thoughts….

Jun 9, 2015
I expected 2 out of the 3. KC Hunt surprised me. I think there are 5 or 6 guys who could take a weekend spot. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

Rebeldude

Aug 22, 2012
I had heard this yesterday.
Everybody knew Sims was the Friday guy.
KC Hunt has had some very good innings in the scrimmages.
Smith was very probable for at least one of the weekend spots.
Also heard Preston Johnson first guy out of the pen, and not out of the mix for a starting spot if one of the others falter.

Sep 9, 2012
The three rotation starters on opening weekend are rarely the same three come May/June. But KC Hunt earned the opportunity. He has been phenomenal and will be a factor for us either as a starter or closer this year.

I don’t think you’re going to see us ask for more than 5-6 innings out of starters very much at all this year. With Johnson, Stinnett, Fristoe, Smith, Walling, Kohn, Tepper, Tuller, Auger, Jack Walker, Cheatham, etc. in the pen, we would rather get five good ones than have someone wear down in the seventh inning.

Jun 9, 2015
The three rotation starters on opening weekend are rarely the same three come May/June. But KC Hunt earned the opportunity. He has been phenomenal and will be a factor for us either as a starter or closer this year.

I don’t think you’re going to see us ask for more than 5-6 innings out of starters very much at all this year. With Johnson, Stinnett, Fristoe, Smith, Walling, Kohn, Tepper, Tuller, Auger, Jack Walker, Cheatham, etc. in the pen, we would rather get five good ones than have someone wear down in the seventh inning.

I could see Fox using each game as 2 “starts” to try out a couple of guys.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Hunt is a fairly safe bet to be our most improved pitcher this year. I've heard since the fall that he would be one of our top arms this year, it's just a matter of whether or not he would be starting or closing for us.

It really is absurd how much pitching talent we've amassed the last few years. Not every guy has or will pan out like we hoped, but the talent on our staff in recent years is unlike anything we've ever had. We have guys that will be on midweek duty who probably could have been a weekend starter for us in other years. Heck, we're not 5 years removed from Jake Mangum being our Sunday starter.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Even aside from protecting starters arms and keeping them fresh, we're going to have to keep them limited so we can figure out which of our other arms can be trusted in games.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
If I set the number of weekend starters used throughout the 2022 season at 5.5 - which way would you go?

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
We had a 6'5" lefty who throws in the 90s leave this off-season cause he couldn't get in the lineup. That's strong.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
C - Tanner
1b - Hancock
2b - Yeager
SS - Forsythe
3b - James
LF - Cumbest
CF - Davis
RF - Clark
DH - Alford

I would bat James leadoff. It won’t be how it is, but I would go
James
Hancock
Tanner
Clark
Yeagar
Cumbest
Davis
Forsythe
Alford

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
C - Tanner
1b - Hancock
2b - Yeager
SS - Forsythe
3b - James
LF - Cumbest
CF - Davis
RF - Clark
DH - Alford

I would bat James leadoff. It won’t be how it is, but I would go
James
Hancock
Tanner
Clark
Yeagar
Cumbest
Davis
Forsythe
Alford

That's gotta be among, if not the, tallest outfields in the country. 6'6", 6'4" and 6'2"

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Don’t tell Yancy.
Wait…how 17ing tall is Davis? The hail state app decides to keep that info private for whatever reason

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Hey...I'm just excited the season is here. Gonna be fun to be the hunted instead of the hunter. Now we'll see what we're really made of

gwadSIG

Aug 30, 2017
Lemonis said in a recent interview that the rotation might not be set until almost SEC play and we would have a lot of games where a SP throws 3-4 innings and then they bring another SP out of the pen for 3-4 innings.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login