Well Rosebowl has concluded Lem should get one more year...

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It was not a home run hire but I liked Lemonis from the start and then his result the first few years were as good as we’ve ever seen. However, the roster is a mess. We do have some young talent but roster mismanagement is causing a big problem. For example, Hancock and Highfill. No reason for a sec team to go into a season with those 2 guys as your only catcher. Some may disagree, but I think highfill is going to be a good player for us, but for the teams sake and his future prospects in pro baseball, he needs to transition to the OF now. He’s never going to be a quality catcher. He’s got a great arm, go play right field. Hancock is a DH, hunter Hines appears to be a DH, slate Alford is at best a DH (although I don’t know that he is good enough for sec baseball), kellum Clark is decent in the field but probably best served as a DH. We appear to have 2 guys that are good hitters and playing their correct position, Ledbetter and Jordan.

No need to even talk about the pitching staff. It damn near needs a 100% overhaul.

The record the past 2 years, the catcher situation, the fielding percentage and of course pitching… all that tells you to get rid of him. I personally don’t believe we will face any back lash. It’s not like he’s on the bubble for a regional. We are getting run ruled as much as we are winning sec games. Fire him, go hire the best guy for the job and let recruiting fall where it may.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Yeah, this is a guy who got his nickname by straight face predicting we would play for a championship in the rosebowl in a year we won 3 or 4 games.
Rosebowl was right one time…. About Freezus. The Rebs got a slap on the wrist, and now Freezus will probably be a mainstay in the CFP. Even when he’s right, we lose.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It was not a home run hire but I liked Lemonis from the start and then his result the first few years were as good as we’ve ever seen. However, the roster is a mess. We do have some young talent but roster mismanagement is causing a big problem. For example, Hancock and Highfill. No reason for a sec team to go into a season with those 2 guys as your only catcher. Some may disagree, but I think highfill is going to be a good player for us, but for the teams sake and his future prospects in pro baseball, he needs to transition to the OF now. He’s never going to be a quality catcher. He’s got a great arm, go play right field. Hancock is a DH, hunter Hines appears to be a DH, slate Alford is at best a DH (although I don’t know that he is good enough for sec baseball), kellum Clark is decent in the field but probably best served as a DH. We appear to have 2 guys that are good hitters and playing their correct position, Ledbetter and Jordan.

No need to even talk about the pitching staff. It damn near needs a 100% overhaul.

The record the past 2 years, the catcher situation, the fielding percentage and of course pitching… all that tells you to get rid of him. I personally don’t believe we will face any back lash. It’s not like he’s on the bubble for a regional. We are getting run ruled as much as we are winning sec games. Fire him, go hire the best guy for the job and let recruiting fall where it may.
It is kind of funny that he was brought in and hailed as a recruiter, the guy who was finally going to bring in the guys that Vandy/LSU/Florida get. In reality, he actually appears to have been better at Xs and Os, and not so much recruiting/roster management.

The future coach, when/if that happens, really needs to get back to the Cohen-type recruiting and roster management.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I said the same thing about Croomhead when ya know ya know. It is time to pull this particular Band-Aid off . I am sure he is a great guy, and watching his dad tote around a NC trophy was cute and all. But that does not justify another year of this in any way shape or form. We want to hold ourselves out as an elite program so act like one. Name one elite program in any sport that would give this man another year after what we have seen the last two years? What does another year get you at this point? Had the team improved from the disaster of last year in any real way then sure you could say he is slowly turning things around so let him have that chance. Does anybody really think we have gotten better or showed improvement in any way?

The Devil has spoken.

Reactions: josebrown

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
OK. I listened to his rational, non-emotional reasoning. Primary reasons cited were maintaining continuity of recruiting coupled with the potential of returning players particularly some that did not play this season due to injury.

All valid points but I disagree and here are my rational non-emotional reasons.

It has been my observation that coaches on a do-or-die hot seat is almost always an exercise in putting off the inevitable. I also think that we needed to see at least the tiniest spark of life this season to lend some credibility to him being able to do the job and we saw the exact opposite. What I see is a program in a death spiral and based on that the likelihood he will get us out of this is not worth the risk of the additional damage that will come from another year like these last two. We need to trust what our eyes are telling us.
The last time we had a baseball coach in a “do-or-die hot seat” we won the SEC.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Rosebowl was right one time…. About Freezus. The Rebs got a slap on the wrist, and now Freezus will probably be a mainstay in the CFP. Even when he’s right, we lose.
The only plus about Freeze is Ole Miss will have to live with Auburn making it to the playoff with Freeze. I am pretty sure 80% or more of their fan base would have loved to have him back. The scrupulous guys they have let on their team but Freeze was fired for using school phones for calling hookers. The way they think that same number probably thought he should not have been fired in the first place.

Reactions: eckie1

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Everyone said we would get heat for firing Slo Joe Moorhead after only 2 seasons. When you know its time, you know its time and even Nellie Cohen knew it was time. There is no rational reason to maintain a coach that finishes in last place in the conference TWO YEARS IN A ROW at any school, especially after winning the National Championship.
By the way, Sloppy Joe was 2-10 this past season in the Mid American Conference, we weren't wrong.....
I firmly believe if you took out the first two years of Slophead’s tenure and Croom’s tenure, and then gave them 10 years at State, Croom would have a better record. If you put Slophead and Croom at two bluebloods, Croom would blow him away.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
In reality, he actually appears to have been better at Xs and Os, and not so much recruiting/roster management.
Have you seen us play this year???? or last??? What exactly is it that gives you the impression that he has been better at X's and O's? We are an absolutely horrible team (by SEC standards). His game strategies are head scratchers, to say the least.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The last time we had a baseball coach in a “do-or-die hot seat” we won the SEC.
Yep. And think about this. Cohen made his big run in 2013. Then in 2014, we dropped. Then bottomed out in 2015. Then were great in 2016.

The difference in Cohen 2014 and Lemonis 2022 is that Cohen didn't have the injuries.

All that to say, he should get another year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Have you seen us play this year???? or last??? What exactly is it that gives you the impression that he has been better at X's and O's? We are an absolutely horrible team (by SEC standards). His game strategies are head scratchers, to say the least.
Yes?????

He also won a national title. You know - the goal.

Many of you all are emotional babies.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I wish Roesbowl would take the next train back to Louisiana or whatever he came from.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep. And think about this. Cohen made his big run in 2013. Then in 2014, we dropped. Then bottomed out in 2015. Then were great in 2016.

The difference in Cohen 2014 and Lemonis 2022 is that Cohen didn't have the injuries.

Also, the difference is it was 1 bad year, not 2. Lemonis was given a chance to right the ship and he may have even made things worse than they were a year go.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Our definition of bad in baseball has changed over the years. In the past, bad would have been missing the post season or even an early exit from it. The last 2 seasons have been "dumpster fire" bad. If he is the great coach that some of you think he is, where is the improvement?

Dumpster Fire GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
Our definition of bad in baseball has changed over the years. In the past, bad would have been missing the post season or even an early exit from it. The last 2 seasons have been "dumpster fire" bad. If he is the great coach that some of you think he is, where is the improvement?

Dumpster Fire GIF
As bad as we all say Polk II was (and it was bad), he still only missed the NCAA tournament twice, and one of those he barely missed it at 34-24-1 (14-15). We've literally never seen anything like the 6 dumpster fire seasons since 2008 in our history before then.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

There was an external reason for 2015. That was the year the baseball changed and overnight pitchers like Ross Mitchell who were previously effective were getting shelled. Cohen promptly fixed things the next year. Lem has had not one but TWO consecutive stinkers after winning the freaking NC with ZERO improvement. I am and will always be grateful for his contribution to our NC but it does not entitle him to a lifetime job. 2 years is pretty quick I will grant you but we didn't just take a step back. We fell into the grand canyon last season and started digging this year. He's got to go!

Reactions: STATEgrad04

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Also, the difference is it was 1 bad year, not 2. Lemonis was given a chance to right the ship and he may have even made things worse than they were a year go.
Dude, did you not read my post? I explained why Cohen had one bad year and Lemonis had 2.

If not for the injuries, our 2022 team would have at least made a regional and matched the 2014 team.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There was an external reason for 2015. That was the year the baseball changed and overnight pitchers like Ross Mitchell who were previously effective were getting shelled. Cohen promptly fixed things the next year. Lem has had not one but TWO consecutive stinkers after winning the freaking NC with ZERO improvement. I am and will always be grateful for his contribution to our NC but it does not entitle him to a lifetime job. 2 years is pretty quick I will grant you but we didn't just take a step back. We fell into the grand canyon last season and started digging this year. He's got to go!
If we hadn't had 14 8th inning meltdowns we'd have been fine in 2015. Sort of like this year.

The balls changing was just another excuse.

The bats changed in 2011, and we got better from 2010 to 2011. There's always excuses.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
As bad as we all say Polk II was (and it was bad), he still only missed the NCAA tournament twice, and one of those he barely missed it at 34-24-1 (14-15). We've literally never seen anything like the 6 dumpster fire seasons since 2008 in our history before then.
He also didn't sniff a national title outside 1985, and we all know the colossal choke that was. He couldn't maximize a team. I'd rather have our modern history with the down years.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
If we hadn't had 14 8th inning meltdowns we'd have been fine in 2015. Sort of like this year.

The balls changing was just another excuse.

The bats changed in 2011, and we got better from 2010 to 2011. There's always excuses.
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. You judge on results, not "ifs". It's not like we're "close" or anything. We are bad, with no light at the end of the tunnel. You have dug in on this issue, and that's fine. That's your opinion.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. You judge on results. Not "ifs". It's not like we're "close" or anything. We are bad, with no light at the end of the tunnel. You have dug in on this issue, and that's fine. That's your opinion.
I'm not the one making the excuses here, nimrod.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
OK. I listened to his rational, non-emotional reasoning. Primary reasons cited were maintaining continuity of recruiting coupled with the potential of returning players particularly some that did not play this season due to injury.

It has been my observation that coaches on a do-or-die hot seat is almost always an exercise in putting off the inevitable. I also think that we needed to see at least the tiniest spark of life this season to lend some credibility to him being able to do the job and we saw the exact opposite. What I see is a program in a death spiral and based on that the likelihood he will get us out of this is not worth the risk of the additional damage that will come from another year like these last two. We need to trust what our eyes are telling us.
If Rosebowl is for keeping him, that is probably the biggest validation for getting rid of him.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Everyone said we would get heat for firing Slo Joe Moorhead after only 2 seasons. When you know its time, you know its time and even Nellie Cohen knew it was time. There is no rational reason to maintain a coach that finishes in last place in the conference TWO YEARS IN A ROW at any school, especially after winning the National Championship.
By the way, Sloppy Joe was 2-10 this past season in the Mid American Conference, we weren't wrong.....
All very good points.

Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I don't understand when people use recruiting as an excuse for another year. Let's blow it up now or wait one more year.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

This would be an argument to keep him if Lemonis had just barely missed a Regional in 2022 and 2023. Like one of the first couple teams out with fluky losses and an RPI that crashed on us because our good wins turned out not to be that great.

It's not an argument to keep a coach who's likely in his second year of last in the SEC and uncompetitive in most of the losses. A worst case scenario where the next coach can't retain the current talent or find any replacements for them in the portal (unlikely, since we are one of only about 5 schools that care about baseball), what happens? We come in last again?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Dude, did you not read my post? I explained why Cohen had one bad year and Lemonis had 2.

If not for the injuries, our 2022 team would have at least made a regional and matched the 2014 team.
1. It sometimes seems like a waste of time, but yes, I do read your posts.
2. This is maybe the most ridiculous thing you have ever posted. And that's saying a lot.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Speaking of this subject...Starting a freahman tomorrow night. Against the best pitcher since Strasburg. Death Knell.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I wish Roesbowl would take the next train back to Louisiana or whatever he came from.
I just wish he would get a haircut and dress like a man and not some pot smoking teenage hippy. He's a grown man and how can you respect anyone who looks like a hobo. He represents Miss State in one way or another. He is embarrassing. I don't know what is worse. Him giving an interview on the SEC channel or that fat Alabama grad guy ringing a cowbell. What was his name?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
1. It sometimes seems like a waste of time, but yes, I do read your posts.
2. This is maybe the most ridiculous thing you have ever posted. And that's saying a lot.
Guess I’ll take the W on that one. Just like every other disagreement we’ve had about MSU baseball.

I will never let you forget how bad you wanted Cohen fired right up until June 2013.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Speaking of this subject...Starting a freahman tomorrow night. Against the best pitcher since Strasburg. Death Knell.
I predict a no hitter, but LSU will still win because there will be 20 walks and 7 hit batsmen****

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
I haven't quite finished the podcast, but I agree with him. I'm no fan of Lemonis (outside him winning us our first title), but at this point, considering ALL evidence, probably best to let this ride one more year. We will get heat if we fire him now, we won't if we fire him next year. I'm willing to take that chance, with how good football and basketball will be.
Get heat from whom????? And who gives a ****? Jesus. Really?

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
  • "Bianco saved his job with last year's run, but it's yet to be determined if that was a fluke or if it results in long term success (not looking positive with this season)."
Let's get something straight right now . OM won the NC in baseball not because of a fluke but because of bad MState karma. Our dead Injuns kicked us in the nuts one more time.
WRONG… Dixie won the NC last year because our 17 AD was the deciding vote to let them in. He chose Dixie over his hometown Bama team.

There is a reason he is finally gone… and make no mistake about it… That was the reason… the final damn straw…

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022

Cohen took over a program that was way behind and built it up. We made a regional in 14 and of course missed the tournament in 15. He followed that up with winning the SEC in 16.

Lemonis took over a program that was absolutely rolling and has made it the worst in the SEC. The 2 situations are not comparable.

Reactions: 8dog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I firmly believe if you took out the first two years of Slophead’s tenure and Croom’s tenure, and then gave them 10 years at State, Croom would have a better record. If you put Slophead and Croom at two bluebloods, Croom would blow him away.
Ten years of Croom? Dear Lord. Croom had two legit NFL running backs during his tenure and only went to one bowl. He had no business coaching an SEC program and was just another example of the poor leadership State had in the athletic department at the time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Cohen took over a program that was way behind and built it up. We made a regional in 14 and of course missed the tournament in 15. He followed that up with winning the SEC in 16.

Lemonis took over a program that was absolutely rolling and has made it the worst in the SEC. The 2 situations are not comparable.
Yes they are. By 2013 we were rolling as well.

It's really disappointing that some of you cannot see the obvious comparison here. But, Moo fans gonna Moo fans.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010

Actually I don't have a problem with the rotation change for LSU, I have a problem that he didn't do this sooner. Obviously our team can't hit Friday night SEC aces, so why pitch your best guy on Friday night? Concede that game and throw the few arms you have and try and win on the back end. When you waste Cade on a game you can't score runs for him, that makes no sense. Unfortunately Lemonhead is late to the party on this strategy. Throw a sacrificial lamb on Friday with your weakest bullpen arms and bring Cade in on Saturday for a chance to win one game. Then throw Gartman and Cientje on Sunday to give you a fighting chance to win another game or even win the series. Our coach doesn't even know his team.

If you had enough quality arms you could have a straight up, honest rotation. We don't.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Yes they are. By 2013 we were rolling as well.

It's really disappointing that some of you cannot see the obvious comparison here. But, Moo fans gonna Moo fans.
2013 was our 3rd straight regional, 2nd Super in 3 seasons, and first trip to CWS in 5 seasons.

2021 we had been to 5 straight regionals, 5 Straight Supers, and third straight CWS appearance.

Our program was on another level in 2021 than it was in 2013 and the fall off has been much more severe. It's really disappointing that you can't see that but goat gonna goat.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login