Went from $0.48 to $0.88 per therm

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
A little sticker shock on the gas bill. What are ya'll paying?

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Not gas but my electric department tripled their fuel surcharge that they charge per kwh a few months ago without telling anybody. My light/gas/water bill was almost more than my mortgage for several months. To answer your question, my gas is figured by units (one unit = 100 cubic feet) and it is $1.17 per unit

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I spent 2 days earlier this year splitting firewood. I use a cast iron wood stove to heat most of my house. My utility bill has never been so low.
Now if I can figure out how to train the wife to turn of a light when she leaves the room, I’ll really be on to something.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That base amount really upsets me. The only thing gas in my house is the heat. Come the months it's not cold and I use no gas I still have to pay that base amount .

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Now if I can figure out how to train the wife to turn of a light when she leaves the room, I’ll really be on to something.
2 years ago in every closet, storage room, the washroom, attic and garage I installed $10 motion detect light switches from Amazon.

It saved my marriage.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
2 years ago in every closet, storage room, the washroom, attic and garage I installed $10 motion detect light switches from Amazon.

It saved my marriage.
Going to LED bulbs knocked our electric bill way down.

changed out the thermostats to programmable ones that I can see on my phone and can change the schedule easily. That saved on gas and electricity.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Going to LED bulbs knocked our electric bill way down.

changed out the thermostats to programmable ones that I can see on my phone and can change the schedule easily. That saved on gas and electricity.
Lightning hit somewhere close to our house 4-5 months ago. It fried every LED in the house. Which was most of them. All the old school bulbs were unharmed. I spent $200+ replacing all of them. It'll take me 5 years to recoup.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Lightning hit somewhere close to our house 4-5 months ago. It fried every LED in the house. Which was most of them. All the old school bulbs were unharmed. I spent $200+ replacing all of them. It'll take me 5 years to recoup.
That’s weird. Lightning hit the house two doors down last year and didn’t mess with any of mine.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
That’s weird. Lightning hit the house two doors down last year and didn’t mess with any of mine.
Brand new Xbox Series X was toasted, garage door opener, and my ring doorbell. Luckily Microsoft replaced my xbox for free.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

It saved my marriage.

Speaking of saving marriages, I've got everything lined out to put one of these in our bedroom early next year, and I'm counting down the days. There has been nothing as taxing on our relationship during the last 2-3 years than my wife's desire to spin our electric meter like a dreidel when we go to bed every night. Every... single... night

LG put these out at some point in the last year, and it's a really cool option for those wanting hugely efficient heating/cooling for a small area without having to hang an absolute eye sore on the wall. Well, less of an eye sore at least

1671043010210.jpeg

Attachments

• 1671042180717.jpeg
    1671042180717.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 11

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I would literally kill to have an electric bill this low.
That's just my natural gas. Electric is separate. 3 AC/furnaces, 2 gas hot water heaters, gas logs, gas stove/oven. Typical hot weather is electric $200-$250 / gas <$100. Flip the script in really cold weather months, which we don't get many of.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I spent 2 days earlier this year splitting firewood. I use a cast iron wood stove to heat most of my house. My utility bill has never been so low.
Dude. I feel like I spend 43% of my time at home turning off lights.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Switch to LED lights, at 5w you can run them all day for practically nothing.
Better worry about the SEER rating on your overall HVAC system along with having variable speed fans and overall important elmination of air leaks and insulation. Penny of prevention is worth a pound of a problem.

I tell everyone, just go around your house, sealing up holes as the first step. $
Second, look at your insulation, if you can improve it, do it. $$
Third your system efficiency. $$$$

Then just cutting things off when not needed. Adjust your air conditioning to 72 instead of 68. Turn your heating to 67 instead of 72.

Insulation and air leaks are huge for hot humid areas like Mississippi.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
That base amount really upsets me. The only thing gas in my house is the heat. Come the months it's not cold and I use no gas I still have to pay that base amount .
I'm guessing that's what covers all the pipelines/lines to your house? I don't especially love it either but I ain't trying to chop firewood a few days a year like jeathroux. I cut firewood a few times and discovered I wasn't cut out for it.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Speaking of saving marriages, I've got everything lined out to put one of these in our bedroom early next year, and I'm counting down the days. There has been nothing as taxing on our relationship during the last 2-3 years than my wife's desire to spin our electric meter like a dreidel when we go to bed every night. Every... single... night

LG put these out at some point in the last year, and it's a really cool option for those wanting hugely efficient heating/cooling for a small area without having to hang an absolute eye sore on the wall. Well, less of an eye sore at least

View attachment 280033
What is it?

Reactions: Xenomorph

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I do levelized billing w/ Atmos for my gas in Starkville and its ranges from $60-$70 per month. I have gas heat, gas stove, and old style gas water heater.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
There is a certain amount of overhead to maintain the whole supply network, people, etc. It's not like they can stop doing maintenance or layoff staff in down months.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I'm guessing that's what covers all the pipelines/lines to your house? I don't especially love it either but I ain't trying to chop firewood a few days a year like jeathroux. I cut firewood a few times and discovered I wasn't cut out for it.
Yes it does. I have been paying that at my house for 17 years. I use gas three months and pay for 12 months.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Better worry about the SEER rating on your overall HVAC system along with having variable speed fans and overall important elmination of air leaks and insulation. Penny of prevention is worth a pound of a problem.

I tell everyone, just go around your house, sealing up holes as the first step. $

Then just cutting things off when not needed. Adjust your air conditioning to 72 instead of 68. Turn your heating to 67 instead of 72.

I hear you. As bulbs burn out, I replace with LED’s.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's basically your demand charge. If you want gas available, you have to help pay for the infrastructure. Not saying it's calculated fairly. But it doesn't seem like it would be way off. Costs money to have pipes in the ground and do maintenance and repairs.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

The other thing is windows. I ended up cutting windows out of my house when I realized that basically it didn't matter what else you did energy efficiency wise if you have a lot of windows. Not the wall of windows I would like, but still plenty of light and combined gas and electric never gets more than high $200's.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I live outside the city limits so I am on propane which runs my tankless heater and stove. Everything else is electric. My electric bill due end of the month is $176. In the heart of summer it will get between $250-$300.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Ask your electric company about installing a whole home surge suppressor.

Reactions: aTotal360

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
This means you need to switch to solar or else.....or else next year they'll make sure it quintuples.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Ask your electric company about installing a whole home surge suppressor.
The only problem I know if with the whole home systems, is that until someone comes home and flips the switch to reset it, no power gets in. As long as it doesn't happen when your on a trip you should be fine, and if you have any type of monitoring for your home, you could just call a neighbor then and ask them to flip the switch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login