We're not getting over mediocre

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I know, d'uh. If we're paying a mediocre head coaching salary and expecting mediocrity, then that's fine. We have limitations. I don't think that's what we're doing or expecting, though. We might need some generational change to snag some successful young coach at a small program who these guys can learn to respect and believe in and who gets them to play disciplined, team basketball. It also would help if we had reliable three-point shooters and an A.D. we can trust with a coaching search and hire.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
His prior success may have warranted that salary. Don't think it does now. It's time to move on after this season or does our AD think a few NIT wins are worth $2 mil.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
His prior success may have warranted that salary. Don't think it does now. It's time to move on after this season or does our AD think a few NIT wins are worth $2 mil.

I think it’s pretty clear our AD doesn’t give a **** about basketball.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I know, d'uh. If we're (MSU) paying a mediocre head coaching salary and expecting mediocrity, then that's fine. OK

We have limitations. (MSU?)

I don't think that's what we're doing or expecting, though. (Who is "we're?" MSU? Fans?)

We might need some generational change to snag some successful young coach at a small program who these guys can learn to respect and believe in and who gets them to play disciplined, team basketball. (What happens if the "generational change" loses? Is that acceptable to MSU? Or accepatble to the fans?)

It also would help if we had reliable three-point shooters (irrelevant) and an A.D. we can trust with a coaching search and hire. (Who is the "we?" MSU? Fans?

This reads like a mid-season hot take after a loss in a game that was a high probablility that we'd lose. It seems to me that Howland's tenure as a bridge is well-established. The question is how much longer that time frame is. Yes, that is a question for the AD to evaluate and address.

It is possible there is a larger strategy here, but, as far as fans go...well...fans want instant gratification and are agnostic to the amount of resources or other constraints that may exist.

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Yes. I mean, I'm gracious with message boards because some of the mid-game hot take stuff is what makes them, but obviously for situations like Howland's we have to let the season play out and then make the call. If we don't make the tournament this year, though, it's probably time to usher him to a nice house in SoCal

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Yes. I mean, I'm gracious with message boards because some of the mid-game hot take stuff is what makes them, but obviously for situations like Howland's we have to let the season play out and then make the call. If we don't make the tournament this year, though, it's probably time to usher him to a nice house in SoCal

This has been my position all year. Agree

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
It's more of a mid-season mild take based on an overall assessment of Howland's tenure with what I thought were obvious, implied antecedents. But o.k.

BTW, since you asked, if the new young coach doesn't win, we, and by we I mean MSU's athletic director, with the consent of MSU's college president, should fire him and replace him with someone else, something we the agnostic fans (agnostic? really? wtf?) can't do because agnostic message board fans actually aren't involved in hiring and firing coaches. At least I think that's how it works at most schools. Hopefully, "we'll" do just that. And by "we'll" I mean . . .

Feb 23, 2008
Normally I’d be level headed just like that but think about it like this. How

many seasons have we said the same thing? The last 4? That’s a sign of a problem that isn’t going away. When every year around the first of February we are saying the same thing, there’s a major underlying problem that we need to stop denying.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Not sure why we are naive enough to think it's "coaching". This isn't 1950 basketball. It's about doing what it takes to bring the best players to your school. Unless we are willing to spend 10 times more on basketball, then mediocre is what we will have.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Fires cohenz!

I like Howland. It was a good hire that turned out bad. No one can predict that.

It’s time to move on. Pretty sure we will unless we can’t afford the buy out. Before you clutch your tiny little pearls, remember our NIL deals.

Cohen has some issues but they aren’t nearly what some of you make them.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Howland is done after this year, so we'll get to see what Cohen can do with two basketball jobs.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
many seasons have we said the same thing? The last 4? That’s a sign of a problem that isn’t going away. When every year around the first of February we are saying the same thing, there’s a major underlying problem that we need to stop denying.

TRUTH

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login