West Point going workdwide

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
This isn't what Garth had in mind when he sang... “think I'll slip on down to the Oasis... yea I got friends...in low places... "

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
you boyz are lit

I think I shared the story about my first semester at State when I started out heading The Club, in Columbus, for Thursday night ladies night and ended up at The 45 Club...Easy Rider was resonating in my head as I made a hasty retreat from that place. They found a dead body in the ditch out front about two weeks after my accidental visit there...

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Same town that allowed their stations to hike their gas prices after Katrina to take advantage of traveling fans.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Several hundred clubbing on Sunday seems odd in MS

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Several hundred clubbing on Sunday seems odd in MS
I think this was Saturday night and went into the early morning hours of Sunday.
But, right on down the road in Lowndes County at Mayhew Junction, can’t remember the name of it, but a lot of Sunday afternoons back in the 80’s and 90’s, that place had hundreds of people partying and spilling into the parking lot and even onto Hwy 45 quite often.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Columbus has issues these days too.
I haven't looked at the numbers to see States enrollment from Lowndes and Clay counties. however I'm really worried about what the decay of Columbus and West Point means for the student population at MSU?

Maybe the decay of the city has resulted in the county growing. It seems Caledonia has. While new hope has seen minimal growth. So maybe the numbers haven't dropped???

I hope all this industry at GTR can save Columbus/Lowndes county.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
West Point is a contradiction. There is serious money in West Point, nice areas, nice homes and of course you’ve got Old Waverly. Then you’ve got the other side of town.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
good people should always carry --if youve ever been to the 3rd world theres a reason civil people build tall walls topped with broken glass around their property

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
But, right on down the road in Lowndes County at Mayhew Junction, can’t remember the name of it, but a lot of Sunday afternoons back in the 80’s and 90’s, that place had hundreds of people partying and spilling into the parking lot and even onto Hwy 45 quite often.

It was the Crossroads Disco when I worked at The Landing from 85-90. Same guy owned both places. I would occasionally have to take like $500-1000 worth of quarters down to the Disco when the Disco was packed on a Sunday night. A cracker walking through the parking lot and club carrying 50lbs worth of quarters in some canvas money bags wasn't in my job description. Never had any problems but I didn't hang out for drinks and disco dancing.

At Mayhew Junction there was the Gas Station/Beer Store, Crossroads Disco, and Crossroads Lounge. We used to go to the Crossroads Lounge after The Landing closed. It was after hours and stayed open until 2-4 AMish. I did see Black Oak Arkansas there. It was a **** show. A few songs in there was a fight on the dance floor that ended up knocking over the drum set. Jim Dandy (lead singer) walked out and left.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I had a guy working for me once who moonlighted as a doorman at a local "club" on weekends. They charged a cover charge of $10 to get in and would typically have 200-300 people on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was envious as hell of the owner.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I haven't looked at the numbers to see States enrollment from Lowndes and Clay counties. however I'm really worried about what the decay of Columbus and West Point means for the student population at MSU?

Maybe the decay of the city has resulted in the county growing. It seems Caledonia has. While new hope has seen minimal growth. So maybe the numbers haven't dropped???

I hope all this industry at GTR can save Columbus/Lowndes county.
It's a concern, for sure. And yes, the counties have grown because of it, but that's still not a great thing. And yes, agree on the industry, it's the only hope. Create jobs, move the middle class in.

West Point is a contradiction. There is serious money in West Point, nice areas, nice homes and of course you’ve got Old Waverly. Then you’ve got the other side of town.
Same as Starkville and Columbus, really. Not too dissimilar from many MS towns. At this point, we have to just hope we get enough of the economy going to outnumber the bad stuff.

When we talk about schools, though, Starkville is the only one that is save-able, MAYBE West Point. I don't see many middle class folks sending their kids to Columbus High any time soon. And we all know that people are swayed by public schools, right or wrong. At least there are some pretty affordable private schools are available in all 3 towns.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think this was Saturday night and went into the early morning hours of Sunday.
That was the old BP station gravel parking lot, was always full at Mayhew Junction on Sundays but nobody ever messed with anybody there. Different world now

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
It was the Crossroads Disco when I worked at The Landing from 85-90. Same guy owned both places. I would occasionally have to take like $500-1000 worth of quarters down to the Disco when the Disco was packed on a Sunday night. A cracker walking through the parking lot and club carrying 50lbs worth of quarters in some canvas money bags wasn't in my job description. Never had any problems but I didn't hang out for drinks and disco dancing.

At Mayhew Junction there was the Gas Station/Beer Store, Crossroads Disco, and Crossroads Lounge. We used to go to the Crossroads Lounge after The Landing closed. It was after hours and stayed open until 2-4 AMish. I did see Black Oak Arkansas there. It was a **** show. A few songs in there was a fight on the dance floor that ended up knocking over the drum set. Jim Dandy (lead singer) walked out and left.

In my days at State, there was the Crossroads (a truck stop, really) and Len Lew's in Columbus. Starkville/Oktibbeha were totally dry back then. They didn't even have a chain fast food joint in town, and I don't think Columbus did either.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
John's Grocery...Still remember the time one of my roommates and myself went there for a beer run and when we got in there was a deputy sheriff inside looking for whatever. We walked around that door pretending to be interested in snickers, bags of potato chips and single dose packs of Pepto for what felt like an eternity. I think the deputy was in no hurry to leave and was aware we were waiting for him to leave so of course he didn't leave. After about 10 minutes he called out to us across the store saying that they had Natty Light on sale in the far cooler. We took that as our hint and walked over to the cooler, got the beer, and then checked out with it and left with a Clay county deputy just a few feet away.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
John's Grocery...Still remember the time one of my roommates and myself went there for a beer run and when we got in there was a deputy sheriff inside looking for whatever. We walked around that door pretending to be interested in snickers, bags of potato chips and single dose packs of Pepto for what felt like an eternity. I think the deputy was in no hurry to leave and was aware we were waiting for him to leave so of course he didn't leave. After about 10 minutes he called out to us across the store saying that they had Natty Light on sale in the far cooler. We took that as our hint and walked over to the cooler, got the beer, and then checked out with it and left with a Clay county deputy just a few feet away.
If you knew the right place you could buy beer in Clay Co at 16…..with an extra 20$ MAYBE 15. Maybe, depending on the night.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Also a large police presence at The Links in Oxford tonight with people advised to stay clear of the area.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
In my days at State, there was the Crossroads (a truck stop, really) and Len Lew's in Columbus. Starkville/Oktibbeha were totally dry back then. They didn't even have a chain fast food joint in town, and I don't think Columbus did either.
Len Lews and the Triangle Club were across the highway from each other roughly a mile North of the crossroads. Spent about half of my College career hanging out in those two places. Good times. 1973-1976.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Anyone of you bums ever go to Max Supper Club? Me and some buds shut it down a few times back in the late 1980s.
I was too young to go at night. But... my dad knew Mack. We went in the joint one day, in the day hours. I saw, just beyond the chicken wire, Roberta's giant panties.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Len Lews and the Triangle Club were across the highway from each other roughly a mile North of the crossroads. Spent about half of my College career hanging out in those two places. Good times. 1973-1976.
& Echols, about half mile South of the Cross Roads.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I used to work in West Point and I can tell you it could have been a better place if they had let Highway 45 build a bypass around the town. I'm probably wrong, but I thought it would give them more areas to develop east and west from the main downtown area.

Reactions: patdog

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I was too young to go at night. But... my dad knew Mack. We went in the joint one day, in the day hours. I saw, just beyond the chicken wire, Roberta's giant panties.
Mack Banks was from WP and lived there until he passed away

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login