What’s going on with our search for a pitching coach?

patdog

May 28, 2007
You’d think if it was the Okie St guy, he’d have been announced by now. But things are so quiet, you think the deal may be done but waiting to announce it.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have no inside knowledge but I just assumed our guy is on a team that is still playing right now. That could be way off but odd to not announce it if our guy is done with his season.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have no inside knowledge but I just assumed our guy is on a team that is still playing right now. That could be way off but odd to not announce it if our guy is done with his season.
You would think. But I’m not sure I see us taking the pitching coach from many of those teams. Maybe Alabama if the interim coach doesn’t get the job, but I think he’ll probably get the job. Maybe oral Roberts pitching coach?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Steve talked about it on the OOB show, Thursday. Take a listen.

But what I took from what he said.... It seems we are slow playing the OkSt guy and still looking around a PCs still in the playoffs.

Reactions: patdog

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Live look in at the MSU Athletic Dept Baseball Headquarters

patdog

May 28, 2007
All I can say is next season is shaping up to be a bigger disaster than the last two seasons if you can even believe that is even possible.
Yeah. Our season ended 3 weeks ago & there’s been virtually nothing from the transfer portal or pitching coach search. I don’t want to think our coach is just sitting on his bucket, and I really don’t think he is. But it’s hard to be optimistic right now.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Steve talked about it on the OOB show, Thursday. Take a listen.

But what I took from what he said.... It seems we are slow playing the OkSt guy and still looking around a PCs still in the playoffs.
That’s concerning in my opinion. I would have hoped we had someone identified. Not sure if that is the case or not

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It may be time to discuss what coaches might be available after next season. If anyone in the AD department is listening, it might make some make them rethink what they're doing before next season.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

You also assumed we have a guy?

I think the pool is VERY small. Its limited to guys that got fired or at a smaller school and tired of that scene and want to move up. Put yourself in the place of a pitching coach that is still coaching and in a Super Regional possibly about to go to a CWS. Why would you leave that job security to come to the worst team in the SEC the last 2 seasons for what could easily be just 1 season?

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007

I think the pool is VERY small. Its limited to guys that got fired or at a smaller school and tired of that scene and want to move up. Put yourself in the place of a pitching coach that is still coaching and in a Super Regional possibly about to go to a CWS. Why would you leave that job security and leave that to come to the worst team in the SEC the last 2 seasons for what could easily be just 1 season?
I can’t see why any established coach at a good program would take our job right now unless he’s on the verge of getting run out of his current job. This has 1 year & then you’re looking for a job again after being fired.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah. Our season ended 3 weeks ago & there’s been virtually nothing from the transfer portal or pitching coach search. I don’t want to think our coach is just sitting on his bucket, and I really don’t think he is. But it’s hard to be optimistic right now.
I may have completely misheard this, but I believe I also heard T&L mention this week that Lemonis has been at the beach with his family.

I mean, far be it from me to tell a guy how to relax, but when it is nothing short of a miracle that you’re still employed, and you’ve got a small window of opportunity to get a leg up on teams that are still playing postseason ball, I’m not sure I’d be heading to the coast to catch some rays

patdog

May 28, 2007
I may have completely misheard this, but I believe I also heard T&L mention this week that Lemonis has been at the beach with his family.

I mean, far be it from me to tell a guy how to relax, but when it is nothing short of a miracle that you’re still employed, and you’ve got a small window of opportunity to get a leg up on teams that are still playing postseason ball, I’m not sure I’d be heading to the coast to catch some rays
Un-freaking-believable if true. We truly just don’t care about baseball anymore.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
For context, this time last year we had Ledbetter and Gartman committed. Dohm was committed 6/10. I cant imagine Lem thinking waiting on someone else is a good idea.

• Sad

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I sure as hell wouldn't let anybody know that's what I'm doing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I think the pool is VERY small. Its limited to guys that got fired or at a smaller school and tired of that scene and want to move up. Put yourself in the place of a pitching coach that is still coaching and in a Super Regional possibly about to go to a CWS. Why would you leave that job security to come to the worst team in the SEC the last 2 seasons for what could easily be just 1 season?
The only thing I think we could do that would make it really desirable would be to give a 2 year fully guaranteed contract with no offset if he is fired and gets another job and automatic termination if Lemonis is fired. So if the most likely scenario happens and Lemonis is fired after next year, he just pocketed two years of salary for one year of work and gets to go try and get a new job. And would probably need to tie his termination to Lemonis getting fired because if I were coming in, I sure as hell wouldn't want a new coach to be pressured to keep me to save money.

That'd be some weird incentives for the pitching coach though. He'd probably want Lemonis to get fired unless he was really, really wanting to stay in Starkville.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
For context, this time last year we had Ledbetter and Gartman committed. Dohm was committed 6/10. I cant imagine Lem thinking waiting on someone else is a good idea.
This is a bigger concern for me. We've had 1 guy commit to transferring in, right? I'm fine with the excuse that our next pitching coach may still be coaching (yeah, right) but we can't sit around all summer and end up with only 2 or 3 new guys from the portal.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The only thing I think we could do that would make it really desirable would be to give a 2 year fully guaranteed contract with no offset if he is fired and gets another job and automatic termination if Lemonis is fired. So if the most likely scenario happens and Lemonis is fired after next year, he just pocketed two years of salary for one year of work and gets to go try and get a new job. And would probably need to tie his termination to Lemonis getting fired because if I were coming in, I sure as hell wouldn't want a new coach to be pressured to keep me to save money.

That'd be some weird incentives for the pitching coach though. He'd probably want Lemonis to get fired unless he was really, really wanting to stay in Starkville.
I hope the last 2 years have taught us our lesson about big guaranteed multi-year contracts for assistants. Puts us in a situation with only bad options if year 1 doesn’t pan out.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Lets look at who is still playing

Nope
LSU - pitching coach to GA
USM - pitching coach to head coach

Not likely
Every SEC teams pitching coach (Bama pitching coach possibly HC) (Bama, KY, SC, FL, TN)
Stanford - west coast guy
Oregon - west coast guy
TCU
Virginia
Texas

What's left
Wake Forest
Oral Roberts
Indiana State
Duke

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The other board is saying Mascara at Wake Forest. Rosebowl casually mentioned his name on Bo Bounds show too.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Don't get your hopes up. And if we wait a couple more weeks just to talk, that's a killer. Just can't see it.
I think people misinterpreted Rosebowl’s comment. He was saying as a hypothetical that’s a guy we would wait on. Not that he is the guy we’re waiting on. I think if we’re waiting on a coach still playing, it’s the Oral Roberts coach or maybe the Bama coach.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I could see Jackson, Davis, Parker, & maybe even Kirkpatrick at Duke. That's about it. We already know Walton and Yeskie.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

It’s the dead period for recruiting. Do you want him to stay on his office all week and watch film? Even people who are ****** at their jobs need some time off

Reactions: AROB44

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm thinking we could possibly steal a guy from Oral Robert's if we wanted to. Who really wouldnt like to leave there for the SEC ? I could be wrong but I have to think Peeper is right. Nobody is leaving a team that is playing in the CWS to come here for Lemonis. It has to be someone looking to move up to a bigger school. Look at how well we did getting Lemonis. A mid tier B10 coach ?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It’s the dead period for recruiting. Do you want him to stay on his office all week and watch film? Even people who are ****** at their jobs need some time off
Rosebowl was on Bo Bounds on Wednesday or Thursday, I thought he said Lemonjuice was out recruiting? I wasn't dialed in paying attention though, so I may have that wrong.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login