What’s going on with our search for a pitching coach?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
We can get guys in the portal. Players have been moving this week.
And if you're a fan of OSU's pitching coach, you'll probably be happy in a couple days.
I don’t know enough about him to have an educated opinion. People’s opinion I value seem to think he’s a home run hire. He’s got an enormous task ahead though. Has to recruit way more talented kids than we currently have while developing what’s currently there to its absolute maximum potential. And developing the current talent to its full potential still may not be all that great. It’s a damn mess.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t know enough about him to have an educated opinion. People’s opinion I value seem to think he’s a home run hire. He’s got an enormous task ahead though. Has to recruit way more talented kids than we currently have while developing what’s currently there to its absolute maximum potential. And developing the current talent to its full potential still may not be all that great. It’s a damn mess.
His recent results have been very mediocre. Last 3 years regionals, they’ve given up 14, 3, 13, 5, 20, 10, 15, 7, 6, & 18 runs.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
nervous cricket GIF by KingfisherWorld

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I can't imagine us hiring a PC that's above mediocre. Unless he is some lower level up and comer. So he is probly our guy.

Reactions: patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Good chart. And just FYI on “Dead period” from the NCAA site:

While the term “dead period” makes it seem like all recruiting stops during this time, that’s actually not the case. Athletes and coaches are still allowed to communicate via phone, email, social media and other digital communication channels.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
You’d think if it was the Okie St guy, he’d have been announced by now. But things are so quiet, you think the deal may be done but waiting to announce it.

For some reason I think many, including myself, are going to be severely disappointed in this hire.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For some reason I think many, including myself, are going to be severely disappointed in this hire.
I think it’s going to be the Okie St coach. We’ll strike out with the super regional coach & he’ll be the fallback. Not a bad hire, unless we’re dumb enough to give him a 2-year guaranteed contract, but nothing to get excited about.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If we can get him, he is well worth the wait. He would definitely be my Plan A.
Other than this year, which is outstanding, he's just been a little above average. In 4 years at Maryland, the best he did was 4th in conference ERA, and last year at Wake, he was 5th. Doesn't really matter though. He's not coming to Starkville unless we offer him head coach job.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I may have completely misheard this, but I believe I also heard T&L mention this week that Lemonis has been at the beach with his family.

I mean, far be it from me to tell a guy how to relax, but when it is nothing short of a miracle that you’re still employed, and you’ve got a small window of opportunity to get a leg up on teams that are still playing postseason ball, I’m not sure I’d be heading to the coast to catch some rays

Do you really think he just left his cell phone in Starkville and is just going off the grid?

People worry about all the wrong things. A pitching coach search is not Lemonis jetsetting across the country and doing face to face interviews with dozens of candidates. In fact, no search of any kind in any industry works like that anymore.

An SEC head coaching job in every sport is 24/7. He’s still going to be doing texting / social media stuff with recruits / portal guys and touching base however is currently necessary with the coaching search (even though there is a good chance that’s a done deal already).

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I hope the last 2 years have taught us our lesson about big guaranteed multi-year contracts for assistants. Puts us in a situation with only bad options if year 1 doesn’t pan out.

2 years guaranteed for a good pitching coach for like $500k - $600k per year is not going to be a problem for us at all, if that’s the route we go. Not sure why anyone would be worried about that.

If Lemonis is fired in 2024, new guy can decide to keep the pitching coach - which might happen if its a good hire. If not, costs us $500-$600k and that’s it. And if we make a good hire, there’s a pretty strong chance Lemonis doesn’t get fired anyway.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Its still unreal to me how bad our baseball program has been the last 2 seasons when you look at teams this year like Oral Roberts, Indiana State and so on that we are way worse than. You almost have to try to be as bad as we've been given the resources we spend on the sport.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Other than this year, which is outstanding, he's just been a little above average. In 4 years at Maryland, the best he did was 4th in conference ERA, and last year at Wake, he was 5th. Doesn't really matter though. He's not coming to Starkville unless we offer him head coach job.
I'll take a little above average and a fantastic, top rated year this year over Lemonhead's last 2 seasons which couldn't find above average with a long range telescope.

I'm not sure what his issues were at Maryland, but his pitchers were amazing this year pitching in that little league park against some very good ACC competition.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Its still unreal to me how bad our baseball program has been the last 2 seasons when you look at teams this year like Oral Roberts, Indiana State and so on that we are way worse than. You almost have to try to be as bad as we've been given the resources we spend on the sport.
Same Indiana State that got swept by Kentucky, Michigan State and TCU (the only P5 weekend series they played)? Interesting. They had a cakewalk regional too.

Oral Roberts is just a pretty good team this year, which is why they came through against big boy competition. It happens in college baseball.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll take a little above average and a fantastic, top rated year this year over Lemonhead's last 2 seasons which couldn't find above average with a long range telescope.

I'm not sure what his issues were at Maryland, but his pitchers were amazing this year pitching in that little league park against some very good ACC competition.
B1G competition. How can we take your opinion seriously when you can't even get that basics right?

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Same Indiana State that got swept by Kentucky, Michigan State and TCU (the only P5 weekend series they played)? Interesting. They had a cakewalk regional too.

Oral Roberts is just a pretty good team this year, which is why they came through against big boy competition. It happens in college baseball.
Bottom line is we have been way worse the last 2 years than a lot of programs that really don't even try very hard to be good.

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Hiring Nichols HC to be the pitching coach is the equivalent to hiring Indiana’s HC to take over as HC

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Hiring Nichols HC to be the pitching coach is the equivalent to hiring Indiana’s HC to take over as HC
The positive is he turned us down! He was going to bring 4 arms. We were so close to being the next Nichols St. But oh well. Maybe next time

Now Walton may be out. June 12th and no PC.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login