What’s up with the fad with no knee pads?

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Similar reasoning to why Tanner Allen liked shorter shorts in baseball. Feels more open and mobile around his knees to feel like they can run faster.

Tbh those thin tiny knee pads aren’t gonna do crap for those players if they take a hit there anyways. The most useless pad in football.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Similar reasoning to why Tanner Allen liked shorter shorts in baseball. Feels more open and mobile around his knees to feel like they can run faster.

Tbh those thin tiny knee pads aren’t gonna do crap for those players if they take a hit there anyways. The most useless pad in football.
I’ve heard this too (last two sentences) but I don’t see the logic. Some protection is better than no protection.

I don’t see the risk/reward here. I think it’s a fashion thing. Same with TAs shorts. That was dumb too.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve heard this too (last two sentences) but I don’t see the logic. Some protection is better than no protection.

I don’t see the risk/reward here. I think it’s a fashion thing. Same with TAs shorts. That was dumb too.
You don’t see the logic of discontinuing something that does no good. When I played, we all spent half the game adjusting the pads because they never stayed in place. They are useless

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You don’t see the logic of discontinuing something that does no good. When I played, we all spent half the game adjusting the pads because they never stayed in place. They are useless
Pads are better than no pads. There’s no logic that says otherwise.

The NFL still requires padding I believe. They are built in the pants.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Pearsall looks like he's wearing shorts.

I thought it was just a couple years ago that a point of emphasis for refs was making sure pads covered the knees to protect knee caps. I spent a few minutes in the first half looking up any recent rule changes on pants.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yeah I hated when the holders got below the bottom of the pants if they rose up and were flailing all over the place.

Reactions: paindonthurt

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
A few years ago they were very strict on knee pads and actually enforced it.
Now it’s not even a thing.
I did like the knee pads of the 80’s where they extended even above the knee and slightly below the thigh pads.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Both Deion and Bo were very slow with those knee pads.***

Let someone take a helmet shot straight to the kneecap and see how quick they would start wearing them.

We used to get flagged for illegal equipment when our mouthpieces were dangling, now these guys can wear football shorts during the game.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
20+ years ago, Ed McCaffrey played without knee, thigh and hip pads.

The only padding McCaffrey wears is a discontinued model of
shoulder pads (Wilson's 77-I Aggressor) that, according to
Broncos equipment manager Doug West, "you wouldn't even put on a
junior high kid. I've tried to take his pads from him, because
they're right on the borderline of safety, but he won't let me."

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Yep.

This ain’t a fad.

It’s Tradition.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Both Deion and Bo were very slow with those knee pads.***

Let someone take a helmet shot straight to the kneecap and see how quick they would start wearing them.

We used to get flagged for illegal equipment when our mouthpieces were dangling, now these guys can wear football shorts during the game.
Ok Dan, we’re not falling for “football shorts”. No such thing!***

Reactions: dorndawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, but what is a tradition? Just a long lived fad.
Much like the Lost Cause.

Exit Strategy Life GIF

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

You should have seen Kenny Stablers “pads”
Wouldn’t have let your kid wear those in a 5th grade football league.

Aug 28, 2018

I'm with you. Will the pad keep your knee in place when hit? I doubt it, but it will protect the surface.

Most bomb suits are not intended to save your life from the explosion of a large bomb. All they do is keep your body intact so your family can have an open casket funeral.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah I hated when the holders got below the bottom of the pants if they rose up and were flailing all over the place.
This man played football in the late 80s to mid 90s or at a school with a low budget!

Flopping knee pads are worse than no knee pads.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The fad will continue till a high profile player breaks a kneecap.
If the juice is worth the squeeze let them do what they want within reason.

most of the people not wearing knee pads don’t often get hit in the knees.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Can you find a story on any players that broke their patella or can you recall any players that broke their patella in the last 10-20 years? That pad isn’t gonna do a damn thing lol. That knee pad sure helped that direct shot Marcus Lattimore took to the knee that folded his leg up. If your foot is planted and you take a direct shot that pad is not gonna help you in any way. Watch NFL ball this weekend too. Every knee pad will be well above the actual knee. Those are there to help reduce the amount of soft tissue damage done throughout the game. Not gonna save you from any major injuries

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login