What a damn treasure Jack Cristil was...

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024

This is not a knock on Neil Price - he does a great job - but we could have our pick of the best broadcasters in the nation and none would come close to filling Jack's shoes. He is the only person associated with Mississippi State that multiple generations of fans can relate to. He was Mississippi State personified - dry, blunt, not a homer (looking at you Kellum), but also true maroon to the core.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
How we don't have a statue on campus with him sitting in a broadcast booth, cigarette in hand, and you can take a picture next to him.

I was lucky enough to get a picture with him in Jacksonville in Jan 11’. Was outside of the alumni party at that watering hole next to the river smoking a cigarette. Went up and asked if he was taking up the money for the gate and he said “Hell no! But I’ll take any you wanna give up!”

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Jack was fantastic. I can't tell you how many times I listened to him call Mississippi State football and basketball games on the radio when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s.

Jack's voice was so distinctive and immediately recognizable. I listened to him call the entire 6-3 Alabama game. (No, I wasn't there.)

My father played basketball at State back in the early 60s, and Jack called his games. Jack was so very special to all of us, and I miss him too.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

My dad (and I) grew up in Natchez, so he was an LSU fan because that’s what he heard most often on the radio. But I remember if we found ourselves in Jackson on a fall Saturday evening, dad was scanning the radio just to listen to Jack Cristil because he was that good. I went on to graduate from State in 08.

Jim Hawthorne and Jack Cristil were the football voices of my childhood.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
One of best friends and I flew up to Syracuse for the 1986 fb opener (Rocky's first year). At the time, my late father-in-law was quite ill (cancer). We were seated across the Carrier Dome from our broadcast booth, but I walked around the bleachers and walked up to the broadcast booth, scratched out a brief get-will to FIL with a pencil and paper, and Jack read it on the air during the game!! He could not have been more gracious, and needless to say FIL and family were thrilled!!

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
The way he would let you know how how both sides were lining up pre-snap was amazing. He knew how to put words together with fast precision to pull it off.

Reactions: Dawg84

GoDawgz52

Aug 21, 2023
"HE CANNOT GO"
I remember the tornado warning game with Troy......he said something like, "As you can hear, there are sirens here at Davis Wade Stadium...there is a tornado warning for Oktibbeha county, I dont know when we will be back on the air, all I know is im getting the H$LL out of here."
2001 lost that game 21-9.
I wish Jack could have been around for 2014.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This is not a knock on Neil Price - he does a great job - but we could have our pick of the best broadcasters in the nation and none would come close to filling Jack's shoes. He is the only person associated with Mississippi State that multiple generations of fans can relate to. He was Mississippi State personified - dry, blunt, not a homer (looking at you Kellum), but also true maroon to the core.
Neil is the unfortunate one that has had to follow a legend. A legends shoes are hard to fill i.e. Bear Bryant, John Wooden, Nic Saban, John McKay, Woody Hays, Bo Schembechler, Pat Summit, etc etc etc. Someone has to do it and Neil has done an admirable job, but you have to face it, he followed the legend. I'm 62 years old and for over 40 of those years I almost exclusively heard Jack call almost every major MSU sporting event there was. Then all of a sudden he was gone and somebody had to take over and it takes awhile to get accustomed to it but Neil's done well. I hope that when Jim retires that he will take on baseball broadcasting as well.

[email protected]

Oct 27, 2013
I was in high school in the late 60’s in North Mississippi and Jack would broadcast high school games and make them sound as exciting as a college game. He was the best.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I worked parking at Football and Basketball 94-96. We had the Media lots. Jack would come out the back of the Hump and smoke cigs. Don’t know if ever had conversations or not but I was in awe like he was the President.

Reactions: Guy From Gulfport

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
"HE CANNOT GO"
I remember the tornado warning game with Troy......he said something like, "As you can hear, there are sirens here at Davis Wade Stadium...there is a tornado warning for Oktibbeha county, I dont know when we will be back on the air, all I know is im getting the H$LL out of here."
We were playing Auburn a long time ago, and they were trying a sweep to score and go ahead. One of our better defensive guys, can't remember his name, came charging through and knocked the lone defensive lead guy back into the runner, knocking both of them down and saving the game. Jack shouted "He cannot go, he cannot go he cannot go ..." I think we won 10 to 9.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I had the pleasure of being taught Sophomore HS English by his daughter all the way in Augusta, GA. Unfortunately, I only met the legend himself once.

My father used to take a note to him during a time-out of basketball games so that he'd say on the air "so and so in Batesville, your son John Doe is here and sends his regards." Or something along those lines. He told me he used to do it as a student as well. Back then I was always at the games so I never heard this on the radio.

Does anyone have a similar experience or knowledge of this practice or is this one of my old man's exaggerated stories?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I had the pleasure of being taught Sophomore HS English by his daughter all the way in Augusta, GA. Unfortunately, I only met the legend himself once.

My father used to take a note to him during a time-out of basketball games so that he'd say on the air "so and so in Batesville, your son John Doe is here and sends his regards." Or something along those lines. He told me he used to do it as a student as well. Back then I was always at the games so I never heard this on the radio.

Does anyone have a similar experience or knowledge of this practice or is this one of my old man's exaggerated stories?
Can confirm, yes

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
"HE CANNOT GO"
Loved hearing Jack say that phrase.
Speaking of the game v Troy,
I’d rank that right up there with Maine, Alabama and UAB as 4 of the worst losses in football in my lifetime.
Memphis St at home in one of Jackie’s early years wasn’t too great either.

Reactions: eckie1

cling84

Aug 22, 2012
Had the great pleasure to interview him as Reflector sports editor in 1983. Always the best broadcaster while on the air; everyone young and old could get the game story and the atmosphere just by listening to him. Off the air he was a hoot... very humorous, a little profane but always able to tell you every time he felt State got shafted in games he called. Said he always had to have a cutoff switch nearby for those occasions.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I had the great pleasure to work as a spotter with Jack from 1969 to 1974. The entire time I worked with him, I marveled at him because I had been listening to him since I was seven years old and he had always been one of my idols. One of my fondest memories in life. Hated to see him leave us.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
i liked it when he would say "Mississippi State lined up going left to right on the radio dial"... that really helped you visualize it as a kid riding down the road with your pop.....

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

Jack would take messages either on Friday night at the team hotel or on the way to the game on Saturday and read those out on the radio pregame and even sometimes throughout the early 1st Qrt.
It would be like “John Doe from West Point would like to say a big hello to the Robert’s listening in Greenwood MS”

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login