What Alabama transfers have been good?

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
I'm racking my brain trying to think of Alabama transfers that have been successful at their next school? Alvin Kamara I guess, but was he even good at Tennessee?

I wonder if not making it at Bama destroys the confidence & bravado of most of these players? Kind of like a prize fighter that finally loses & can't ever get it back.

Maybe I'm wrong, but does anyone have a decent list of Bama transfers that have done well at other schools?

For us, Shavers didn't make it, Banks was average, Lashley stunk

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I guess the real question is what backups have gone somewhere else and done well.

same could be said for maybe Georgia and LSU and it’s worth learning if highly rated HS recruits that leave because they are blocked work out better than productive g5 players that transfer up to p5.

Using our history, our blue blood transfers seem to be solid SEC players. Good enough to get on the field and make some plays but don’t turn into impact players.

Reactions: ntzdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm racking my brain trying to think of Alabama transfers that have been successful at their next school? Alvin Kamara I guess, but was he even good at Tennessee?

I wonder if not making it at Bama destroys the confidence & bravado of most of these players? Kind of like a prize fighter that finally loses & can't ever get it back.

Maybe I'm wrong, but does anyone have a decent list of Bama transfers that have done well at other schools?

Nigel Knott is one who never did anything. Transferred to East Carolina and Ole Miss, never started anywhere.

As far as Shavers, I do think he was talented. Had we not had all the COVID stuff, I'm betting he would have had a big year in 2020. He at least made the Bills practice squad. Banks and Lashley were at least good enough to start. And as mentioned, Jalen Hurts.

So it seems to me, Bama is a viable place to get some transfers, maybe not superstars, but viable 2-deepers. And really any high-level recrootin blue blood. Robinson has been good from Georgia.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Are you just trying to remember some transfer successes, or are you suggesting that Jeff Lebby should turn his nose up at a formerly highly-ranked player just because he played for Nick Saban at Bama, like some stupid people have suggested?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Marcus Banks was solid for us.

I think we’ll have to take it case by case. If a kid is buried on a depth chart at Alabama, I’ll be skeptical of his impact at MSU.

BTW, that’s one of the things that makes me optimistic about Stone Blanton.

Reactions: Faustdog

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
There are 2 primary reasons for a player to transfer. 1. Isn't getting playing time. 2. Wants to play for a better program and/or more NIL money. The best players are typically going to come from Category 2, but that's not relevant for Bama. As for Category 1, there is typically a reason why the player wasn't getting played in the first place. That's not always the case, but it's true more often than not.

In general, transfers are unlikely to set the world on fire for us. The same goes for High School recruits. We sign ~25 recruits per year, how many of those end up being really good/great players? Maybe 3 or 4 per class? And that's probably generous. I'm not saying we shouldn't utilize the portal, we absolutely should. But just like any recruiting, most of the guys we sign are going to be average or not that good.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are 2 primary reasons for a player to transfer. 1. Isn't getting playing time. 2. Wants to play for a better program and/or more NIL money. The best players are typically going to come from Category 2, but that's not relevant for Bama. As for Category 1, there is typically a reason why the player wasn't getting played in the first place. That's not always the case, but it's true more often than not.

In general, transfers are unlikely to set the world on fire for us. The same goes for High School recruits. We sign ~25 recruits per year, how many of those end up being really good/great players? Maybe 3 or 4 per class? And that's probably generous. I'm not saying we shouldn't utilize the portal, we absolutely should. But just like any recruiting, most of the guys we sign are going to be average or not that good.
That's why the strategy should be:

Group 1 players - they must be from winning, blue blood, elite level programs, since they are likely behind other good players;
Group 2 players - likely are going to be coming from G5, for us. This is just our reality. I know folks see Ole Miss buying these P5 starters and think we can do it too, but I don't. Perhaps we do land a graduate QB once in a while, like Shapen or Costello, who is looking for a fit.

I honestly don't see us being able to have a bunch of superstar players moving forward. I think our best course of action is to keep a consistent, deep inventory of very solid players, who know and run our schemes very well.

That's why I'm not too fond of the UNC and Purdue DL transfers. They don't really have an excuse.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007

Group 1 players - they must be from winning, blue blood, elite level programs, since they are likely behind other good players;
Group 2 players - likely are going to be coming from G5, for us. This is just our reality. I know folks see Ole Miss buying these P5 starters and think we can do it too, but I don't.

I honestly don't see us being able to have a bunch of superstar players moving forward. I think our best course of action is to keep a consistent, deep inventory of very solid players, who know and run our schemes very well.
For Group 1 players, I also want to see some production as a backup if they've been there more than 1 year. Like the LSU offensive lineman we picked up. Experienced player who has seen a good bit of time as a backup and started a few games. If you're a 4* players who's been there 3 years and not seen the field, we need to pass.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think a good strategy is instead of going after players that can’t get off the bench at BAMa, UGA etc would be to go after the best players at Memphis, Troy, Tulsa etc

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think a good strategy is instead of going after players that can’t get off the bench at BAMa, UGA etc would be to go after the best players at Memphis, Troy, Tulsa etc
Why not both? Why limit yourself? It's not like we have an abundance of guys lining up to play for us. Besides instate high school guys and JUCOs, we have no real advantage.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Group 2 players - likely are going to be coming from G5, for us. This is just our reality. I know folks see Ole Miss buying these P5 starters and think we can do it too, but I don't. Perhaps we do land a graduate QB once in a while, like Shapen or Costello, who is looking for a fit.

That's why I'm not too fond of the UNC and Purdue DL transfers. They don't really have an excuse.
I don't think you can Group them that way, needs to be more case by case. Who is ahead of them that they can't beat? Did they make a stupid decision and find themselves blocked by a 5* for several years? Are they a prior coach's recruit who now can't see the field despite being better? Are they a solid contributor but just don't like where they are?

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think you can Group them that way, needs to be more case by case. Who is ahead of them that they can't beat? Did they make a stupid decision and find themselves blocked by a 5* for several years? Are they a prior coach's recruit who now can't see the field despite being better? Are they a solid contributor but just don't like where they are?
That should be the case for all transfers.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Nigel Knott is one who never did anything. Transferred to East Carolina and Ole Miss, never started anywhere.

As far as Shavers, I do think he was talented. Had we not had all the COVID stuff, I'm betting he would have had a big year in 2020. He at least made the Bills practice squad. Banks and Lashley were at least good enough to start. And as mentioned, Jalen Hurts.

So it seems to me, Bama is a viable place to get some transfers, maybe not superstars, but viable 2-deepers. And really any high-level recrootin blue blood. Robinson has been good from Georgia.
I relatively certain that Shavers had a case of "Boswell Migraines"

Reactions: Darryl Steight

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Just some quick research:
Javon Baker had 1,000 yards at UCF this year.
Drew Sanders was an All American LB for Arkansas in 2022.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Jerome Ford. Excellent RB at Univ of Cincinnati and now doing well with the Browns. He started his college career at Alabama.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Lashley may not have been great, but he did start for us for multiple seasons. He was better than anybody else on the roster at his position.
You may be getting him mixed up with someone else. He was here 2 years as grad transfer and only started in 2021. Think he sat out 2020… I don’t remember if it was actual injury or Covid related

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Marcus Banks was solid for us.

I think we’ll have to take it case by case. If a kid is buried on a depth chart at Alabama, I’ll be skeptical of his impact at MSU.

BTW, that’s one of the things that makes me optimistic about Stone Blanton.
Has Stone had a visit yet? I know he's been here before, but who all is he looking at to transfer to? Are we sure he's coming here? I know it makes sense but NIL can make things not make sense.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
A bench player at Alabama would be a starter at most SEC programs. Ever since Bear "I recruit 'em so I don't play against 'em" Bryant they've swept up most of the good Southeastern talent. Thank goodness for roster limits. Of course there is also the greyshirts at Alabama too.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
The Bamas and Georgias miss on guys in recruiting like everyone else. The difference is their recruits get bumped up in the ratings because they are signing with Saban and Kirby, so they are overrated due to lazy analyst. These overrated players get pushed out because both Saban and Kirby are signing a lot of talented players that show out quickly. The busts hit the portal fast when they see they are nowhere near the talent level. Also, I'm sure Saban tells them they gotta go.

Both Knott and Lashley are perfect examples. Bama had slots to fill and if they can fill them late and hurt a divisional opponent, they gonna do it. Both players proved they were not going to sniff the 2 deep, so they moved on.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Bamas and Georgias miss on guys in recruiting like everyone else. The difference is their recruits get bumped up in the ratings because they are signing with Saban and Kirby, so they are overrated due to lazy analyst. These overrated players get pushed out because both Saban and Kirby are signing a lot of talented players that show out quickly. The busts hit the portal fast when they see they are nowhere near the talent level. Also, I'm sure Saban tells them they gotta go.

Both Knott and Lashley are perfect examples. Bama had slots to fill and if they can fill them late and hurt a divisional opponent, they gonna do it. Both players proved they were not going to sniff the 2 deep, so they moved on.
Exactly. If you're a 4* and can't get into the 2-deep at Bama or another elite program, you're probably not going to be a good pickup for a school like Mississippi State. Now, if you're like the lineman we got from LSU and seeing action as a backup and spot starting when needed, you could be a fantastic pickup for a school like Mississippi State.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Yep, elite programs like Bama basically get to oversign talent (because 85 is a bloated number) and then try them out on campus. If it's obvious a player is not as good as thought just send them out the transfer portal. Sweet gig if you can get it. Really nice to have that advantage on people when u can sign 25 high 4 star and 5 star recruits every year.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Does anyone really know? We in MS know about the guys from MS that went to Bama, Georgia, etc.... and we know about the ones the leave those schools for MSU, UM or USM. But does the average MS guy really keep up with the low 4 star Florida kid that transfers from Bama to Cincinnati?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login