What are your most and least favorite MSU traditions?.....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
No wrong answers. Doesn't have to be an 'official' tradition. Controversy allowed.

And I fully expect someone's to be polls like this one. Just getting in a pre-emptive post.

Mine are;

Most - State in Omaha

Least - maroon white chant

Reactions: Poppy IV and MSUGUY

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
No wrong answers. Doesn't have to be an 'official' tradition. Controversy allowed.

And I fully expect someone's to be polls like this one. Just getting in a pre-emptive post.

Mine are;

Most - State in Omaha

Most - Our fans treating visiting fans like guest and even feeding them
Least - Rude fans that think they are above everyone else.

Polygonal

Sep 29, 2014

Mine are;

Most - State in Omaha

Least #1, by far - MaroonWhite cheer during pregame
Least #2 - Bad to the Bone song

Most - when that garage door opens slowly and the players walk out

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't know if I'd say the most, but I do hope saying "Hail State" to other fans, eventually sticks permanently. We need something like that.

Least? Probably the need for so many in the fanbase to get affirmation from other fanbases, and police what is cool and what isn't. We definitely need more diversity (not talking woke stuff, just more of thought), but it's getting there. Is this a tradition? No, but it's something I've seen from State fans forever until maybe just lately.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I cant stand the forced "Hail State" greeting that Cohen tried to get started,
I think that was Stricklin that started that.

I don’t hate it. But I’ll admit, I’m always caught off guard when I’m out of town wearing something State related and a random person walks past me and let’s out a “hail state”

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Most: The cowbell, and watching opposition cover their ears in the statidum
Least: Definitely the maroon white fight fight fight cheer. just horrible
Least2: That silly dance the football team does on the sideline after scoring right before taking the field to kick off
Least3: The lack of interest and sheer laziness of MSU grads across the US where we have active chapters and won't get involved in chapter activities. When LSU fans have 500 people, when vandy alums have 75-100 people, or kentucky alums have 200 at a watch party and MSU alums can't get 6-7 to show up, it's freaking EMBARRASSING.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Least2: That silly dance the football team does on the sideline after scoring right before taking the field to kick off
Least3: The lack of interest and sheer laziness of MSU grads across the US where we have active chapters and won't get involved in chapter activities. When LSU fans have 500 people, when vandy alums have 75-100 people, or kentucky alums have 200 at a watch party and MSU alums can't get 6-7 to show up, it's freaking EMBARRASSING.
We don't even have a chapter that does anything.

• Sad
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Most - the MSU family and the way everyone can be a part of the family.

Least - Maroon-White

I also don't like living too far away. I'm going to try to change that in the next few years by moving to East Texas... but I gotta stay in Texas.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
A-freakin'-men. I never say "Hail State". I grew up a "Go Dawgs!" person and always will be.

Hail is a bit too close to Heil for me . . .
Hail State is by far the worst attempt at a tradition. It's as stupid as when somebody walks by and says "Roll Tide", "War Eagle", and "Hobby Lobby"

Reactions: dawgman42

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Most: general gameday atmosphere, MSU ice cream from the MAFES store before or after a football game, Don’t Stop Believing OR the Sweet Dreams remix before the 4th quarter of a big game (2017 Bama game is the gold standard for this)

Least: this is gonna be unpopular, but I’m not a cowbell fan. I find them inconvenient to carry to a game and feel like it has created somewhat of a lazy or unengaged fan culture at times. Nothing like hearing the student section ringing loudly after a two yard gain on 3rd and 5.

Least #2: We are the Bulldogs, not the Bulldawgs. I have always been more of a “Dogs” guy and therefore “Dawgs” is a pet peeve of mine.

Least #3: Go into a clothing store in town and in some cases even on campus, and there are 15 different shades of maroon to choose from. The maroon polo section of my closet makes me shake my head because none of them are the same shade.

And add me to the list of being anti-Hail State. Always have been a Go State or Go Dogs guy.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Most of my favorite ones are things that grew organically and even may run their course and aren’t done anymore. Some of my favorites.
In the mid 90’s there was a We Will Rock you Dominos commercial that ended with “Buffalo Wings!” whenever we played that at basketball games the students started shouting Buffalo Wings during the chant and it was hilarious. i think it stopped after the 96 season.
For an evening of basketball, Mississippi State style.
The Mack Truck flag.
I may be in the minority but i like another T.
Don't Stop Believing.
Your Love at a baseball game.
LFL.
Beer in cups.
Mississippi State wooo you damn right.
Rick Stansbury tweeting Great Win for Mississippi State.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Tell me you're a young nimrod without telling me.

But I will say this, since you don't know the name of the dance, I won't tell you. You can go figure it out. But I will also say - it is definitely watered down now and not nearly as cool as when Kenzaki started it. It was revived again during 2009 but hasn't really stuck since then. We need real dawgs to lead it. Anthony Dixon gave it a little juice but since then....nope. Jeffrey Simmons brought back a little swagger too, I should add.

Last edited:

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

Mine are;

Most - State in Omaha

Man there are folks hating things in this thread that I love. Maroon-White cheer? That’s just classic. It can be lame when- particularly at basketball- they try to force it. But when it happens organically, like a timeout or a pitching change when we have the momentum? Incredible.
And I get the hate for the bad to the bone song. It’s cheesy- but I love it. When Bully rides out on the dog house like he has since I was a kid, and I get to share that with my boys the same way- that’s what makes traditions special.
I guess that’s part of asking for “least favorite traditions”, they wouldn’t be traditions if some people didn’t love them.

I guess my favorite tradition is Left Field Lounge, and I think it’s even better now than the old one. It’s much more accessible. Even though they should have at least doubled the bathroom space, and I have no idea why there aren’t screens to watch while you’re in line in basically the only spot in the stadium where you can’t see the field.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Most of my favorite ones are things that grew organically and even may run their course and aren’t done anymore. Some of my favorites.
In the mid 90’s there was a We Will Rock you Dominos commercial that ended with “Buffalo Wings!” whenever we played that at basketball games the students started shouting Buffalo Wings during the chant and it was hilarious. i think it stopped after the 96 season.
I was at most every on-campus game as a student from '91 to '96, and I don't remember this happening EVER.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008

But I will say this, since you don't know the name of the dance, I won't tell you. You can go figure it out. But I will say this - it is definitely watered down now and not nearly as cool as when Kenzaki started it. It was revived again during 2009 but hasn't really stuck since then. We need real dawgs to lead it. Anthony Dixon gave it a little juice but since then....nope. Jeffrey Simmons brought back a little swagger too, I should add.
I thought the same thing when I read that comment, but the next complaint feels like such a boomer thing I wasn’t sure.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Man there are folks hating things in this thread that I love. Maroon-White cheer? That’s just classic. It can be lame when- particularly at basketball- they try to force it. But when it happens organically, like a timeout or a pitching change when we have the momentum? Incredible.
And I get the hate for the bad to the bone song. It’s cheesy- but I love it. When Bully rides out on the dog house like he has since I was a kid, and I get to share that with my boys the same way- that’s what makes traditions special.
I guess that’s part of asking for “least favorite traditions”, they wouldn’t be traditions if some people didn’t love them.

I guess my favorite tradition is Left Field Lounge, and I think it’s even better now than the old one. It’s much more accessible. Even though they should have at least doubled the bathroom space, and I have no idea why there aren’t screens to watch while you’re in line in basically the only spot in the stadium where you can’t see the field.
LFL was just amazing and special. I loved the discussion about it during the "Thunder and Lightning" SEC Storied episode. No one in sports had something like it. Combine that with cowbells, and we are/were truly set apart.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Most favorite: cowbells at football, a legit bulldog mascot, listening to the bell tower, msu fans taking over omaha, huge crowds at the dude

Least favorite:
-Glad I'm not the only one who hates the m/w cheer. I'm ok with it starting during a game by the fans, but seems so lame doing it pregame.
-Sadly the cowbell SNL skit is getting a little old. But it does fit well. I'm kind of on the fence about that one.
-Do we still play who let the dogs out? I tune it out if we do.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022

But I will say this, since you don't know the name of the dance, I won't tell you. You can go figure it out. But I will say this - it is definitely watered down now and not nearly as cool as when Kenzaki started it. It was revived again during 2009 but hasn't really stuck since then. We need real dawgs to lead it. Anthony Dixon gave it a little juice but since then....nope. Jeffrey Simmons brought back a little swagger too, I should add.
You clearly have no idea what you're babbling about. I'm sure I'm old enough to be your father, luke...maybe your grandfather, Rey. And i really don't care to know the name of that silly song or dance, hopefully it will go the way of the dinosaur.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Mine are;

Most - State in Omaha

Least:

AHHHHAAAYYYYCH - O - L -D, hold that line ....
Mic man
Rushing the tempo of the fight, fight, fight, Mississippi State, Damn Right cheer. That $h!+ pisses me off to no end.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Least:

Rushing the tempo of the fight, fight, fight, Mississippi State, Damn Right cheer. That $h!+ pisses me off to no end.
I always kidna assume folks who are super into that bit, are simply jealous of Hotty toddy.

Polygonal

Sep 29, 2014
and right after the spellout we get the "rousing rendition of the original fight song Madeliiiiiiiine......"
I’m thinking of changing my Least #1 and #2 to one:

Least - The ENTIRE Pregame up to the team walking out

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Most - the fact your first cowbell shouldn't be purchased but gifted; something I've proudly done with both my children

Least - STATE spellout pregame (another T ...)
When I was in the student section the "nuther T!" was prevalent. I loved that. Now that I'm sitting with the blue hairs I think I'm the only one.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Will echo the Maroon/White cheer. It is great once it gets going, but because there is no definitive end to it, it always just peters out and sounds very weak at the end.
All they have to do is hammer the big drum three times after the 5th "White" and everyone chant "Hailstate" Seems too easy.

Most - The MSU spell out at basketball games right after we nail a huge three and the other team calls a timeout.
Least - The announcer coming over the PA to get the maroon white cheer started.... why the hell do we have cheerleaders if some rando can get the microphone.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login