What causes these horrendous baseball stats?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
  • ERA last in the SEC (232 out of 295 teams in the nation)
  • Passed balls: last in the SEC
  • Runs alllowed: last in the SEC
  • Walks allowed: last in the SEC (280 out of 295 teams in the nation)
  • Home runs allowed: next to last in the SEC (Ole Miss)
  • Hit batters: next to last in the SEC (Georgia)

• Fielding %: last in the SEC
  • Errors: last in the SEC

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Apparently, at the Mississippi schools, a Natty has an opposite negative effect on recruiting and coaching than at most other schools. The spirits of dead Indians and Rebels is strong here in the state. Karma is a beech.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Poor talent evaluations.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

You left out that we led the conference, in grounding into double plays........

patdog

May 28, 2007
Apparently, at the Mississippi schools, a Natty has an opposite negative effect on recruiting and coaching than at most other schools. The spirits of dead Indians and Rebels is strong here in the state. Karma is a beech.
Could be another long year for the Rebels next year. I believe they lose their entire starting lineup from this year. Which may not be such a bad thing, but they'll be basically starting over next spring.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My opinion and mine alone, just my theory. We started the year with little to no pitching depth. Injuries, lack of personal development by individual pitchers, or whatever. The position players knew that they had to create outs that the pitchers couldn’t and tried to do too much which never turns out good. At the plate they knew they had to out score the other teams because the pitching staff couldn’t stop anyone And they swung for the fences rather than trying to get on base. They pushed too hard and this led to mistakes and errors. I believe that if we had a servicable pitching staff all the defensive errors and lack of production at the plate would have be negligible. The whole team got the Yips and I feel like Lemonis punched every button he knew to punch and nothing worked. Once the season was essentially over in the last two series and the players just started playing baseball rather than being hero’s, the position players actually kinda looked like a baseball team. I think a lot of what plagued this team was mental rather than abilities. The players that return need a good sports psychologist and a leader or leaders need to emerge in the clubhouse to put the last two years in the rear view mirror. Of course I could be wrong and we just suck.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The players definitely "pressed" and tried to do too much at times, both in the field and at the plate.

I cannot fathom a reason why we have an entire pitching staff and bullpen that are worse than all but 15 teams in the nation. That is a colossal failure.

patdog

May 28, 2007
My opinion and mine alone, just my theory. We started the year with little to no pitching depth. Injuries, lack of personal development by individual pitchers, or whatever. The position players knew that they had to create outs that the pitchers couldn’t and tried to do too much which never turns out good. At the plate they knew they had to out score the other teams because the pitching staff couldn’t stop anyone And they swung for the fences rather than trying to get on base. They pushed too hard and this led to mistakes and errors. I believe that if we had a servicable pitching staff all the defensive errors and lack of production at the plate would have be negligible. The whole team got the Yips and I feel like Lemonis punched every button he knew to punch and nothing worked. Once the season was essentially over in the last two series and the players just started playing baseball rather than being hero’s, the position players actually kinda looked like a baseball team. I think a lot of what plagued this team was mental rather than abilities. The players that return need a good sports psychologist and a leader or leaders need to emerge in the clubhouse to put the last two years in the rear view mirror. Of course I could be wrong and we just suck.
The number of hoops you just jumped through to try to justify this season is impressive.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We totally whiffed on the 2020 and 2021 signing classes in terms of pitching. I’m sure COVID didn’t help but everyone else had to deal with it too.

Passed balls I think you can chalk up to having a true freshman catcher most of the year. I like Highfill though and think he’s got a chance to be really good for us. In hindsight, it was a mistake to plan on Hancock being the primary catcher. It flopped horribly in nonconference play and then we had to play the freshman out of necessity. Probably should’ve brought in a portal catcher last year.

Defensively we were a disaster early in the year but I thought we got a little better as the year went on. Never could defend third base well and our middle infield defense was weaker than it’s been in a while. Also, we’ve never actually defended super well under Lemonis, outside of Omaha 2021 where just out of nowhere we were incapable of making an error for two weeks.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
All of us saying, “Lord, just give us this NC and we can suck in baseball for the next 10 years?”
There we wuz, sitting in the outfield under the Omaha sun. Beseeching our Heavenly Father to afflict the devils in black and gold. To allow the just into the promised land. As the setting sun peeked through the big hole behind home plate at TD Ameritrade we knew our prayers had been heard and basked in the glow. We rejoiced. We have eight more years to wander in the wilderness so who the coach is is irrelevant.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Could be another long year for the Rebels next year. I believe they lose their entire starting lineup from this year. Which may not be such a bad thing, but they'll be basically starting over next spring.
Losing Gonzo and Kemp to the draft for starters. Cant recall what other positional players they lose too.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Aside from the underlying coaching deficiencies all of the pitching stats are obviously related to having terrible pitchers.

The passed ball stat was related to having to play Highfill sooner than we would have liked. He did get better.

Fielding was a combination of things but I do think it was affected by pitching. The worst offender was Lane Forsythe who as a freshman and last season was good. In the CWS he was flawless. The other was not having a serviceable third baseman who could also hit.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The number of hoops you just jumped through to try to justify this season is impressive.
agreed. Impressive take.

The last line summed it up.. maybe we just suck. Suck is a harsh word, but thats the truth in the entire post. Maybe we just simply werent very good.

And if a struggling pitching staff gives the entire team the yips. Our mental toughness is worse than a local 12 year old team and we need to re-evaluate who we are recruiting.

Reactions: patdog and onewoof

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We totally whiffed on the 2020 and 2021 signing classes in terms of pitching. I’m sure COVID didn’t help but everyone else had to deal with it too.

Passed balls I think you can chalk up to having a true freshman catcher most of the year. I like Highfill though and think he’s got a chance to be really good for us. In hindsight, it was a mistake to plan on Hancock being the primary catcher. It flopped horribly in nonconference play and then we had to play the freshman out of necessity. Probably should’ve brought in a portal catcher last year.

Defensively we were a disaster early in the year but I thought we got a little better as the year went on. Never could defend third base well and our middle infield defense was weaker than it’s been in a while. Also, we’ve never actually defended super well under Lemonis, outside of Omaha 2021 where just out of nowhere we were incapable of making an error for two weeks.

Hancock not being able to catch set the team back in numerous ways. Not only with what you mentioned but also not allowing Hines to get valuable reps at 1b and open up the DH position for another bat.

The D got better when Forsythe went to the bench, but hes still out of position. He needs to be at second. Same with ledbetter. He should be a corner guy, but we didnt have another quality CF.

Also I'm not as sold on Highfill as you. I'd like to see us get into the portal and bring in an older Catcher for depth and competition.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Also I'm not as sold on Highfill as you. I'd like to see us get into the portal and bring in an older Catcher for depth and competition.
Batted .189 in the SEC and was below average defensively. He's got some potential to maybe be a good player in the future, but he should have been a redshirt or bench player this year.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
ngl, playing at The Dude can feel like a fishbowl for the new guys at times. Takes a while to feel comfortable for some guys.

Losing is one thing. Not making routine plays? Leading the SEC in errors? That is not State baseball. You can lose a game by who is pitching for the opponent on the mound. You cannot lose a game fumbling balls like a high school freshman. Polk knew how to coach and address those mistakes - they happened yes at times but were very minimal.

I guess we have players that may believe they only have to show up and crush a ball at the plate to "be the man".

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Batted .189 in the SEC and was below average defensively. He's got some potential to maybe be a good player in the future, but he should have been a redshirt or bench player this year.

Probably not redshirt. But should have been a role type guy here and there. Been a good, young, promising back-up to a veteran. You know catch a mid week. Get some at-bats at DH. Maybe catch a sunday game here or there.

20-25 games. 70-80 At-Bats.

Had Hancock been able to catch-- thats probably what you wouldve seen out of him. However we dropped the ball on the entire Hancock situation.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Baseball is truly a simple game to breakdown. Now I played baseball but not a D1 level. So maybe there is a fine line between teams there and it comes down to instruction and coaching. However I am a firm believer it is the guy on the mound v the guy hitting. It is that simple and all starts there.

With that said, hitters and pitchers get better with experience. State will be better next year assuming everyone returns and we fill the hole at SS.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Baseball is truly a simple game to breakdown. Now I played baseball but not at the sec level. However it is the guy on the mound v the guy hitting. It all starts there.

with that said, hitters and pitchers get better with experience. State will be better next year assuming everyone returns and fill the hole at SS.

Hancock and Forsythe got worse from last year to this... so???

I mean i get what your saying, but facts are if these kids arent talented enough to be productive at this level, then they arent talented enough. Ive said it all year and i'll say it again... I dont see the talent... especially if you compare it to other players in the SEC

Reactions: patdog and Maroon13

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

Poor coaching
Poor development
Poor evaluation
Poor recruiting

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Baseball is truly a simple game to breakdown. Now I played baseball but not a D1 level. So maybe there is a fine line between teams there and it comes down to instruction and coaching. However I am a firm believer it is the guy on the mound v the guy hitting. It is that simple and all starts there.

With that said, hitters and pitchers get better with experience. State will be better next year assuming everyone returns and we fill the hole at SS.
A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Reactions: cowbell88

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I can't think of one area on defense (pitching included) where we could hang our hats. Just very sloppy play, even from the veterans. Whatever Lemon is doing, please do the opposite next year.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Character Check In GIF by Little Lemon Friends NFT

• Haha
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
bottom line: our players are not as good as the other teams players. if we want to improve we need better players - coaching is worth less than 5% of the total wins.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Hancock not being able to catch set the team back in numerous ways. Not only with what you mentioned but also not allowing Hines to get valuable reps at 1b and open up the DH position for another bat.

The D got better when Forsythe went to the bench, but hes still out of position. He needs to be at second. Same with ledbetter. He should be a corner guy, but we didnt have another quality CF.

Not having a catcher in the plan for this year was ridiculous. Hancock was never the actual plan. He was a bail out that didn’t work.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Fielding was a combination of things but I do think it was affected by pitching.
Definitely can have some affect. Pitchers giving out free passes is frustrating to your fielders and puts them in high pressure situations. You see it all the time in college and high school ball - that kind of stuff just snowballs. It would suck playing with pitchers who can't throw strikes, and catchers who can't throw anyone out.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
There we wuz, sitting in the outfield under the Omaha sun. Beseeching our Heavenly Father to afflict the devils in black and gold. To allow the just into the promised land. As the setting sun peeked through the big hole behind home plate at TD Ameritrade we knew our prayers had been heard and basked in the glow. We rejoiced. We have eight more years to wander in the wilderness so who the coach is is irrelevant.
I mean I was envisioning getting knocked out of regionals as a three seed, not this level of sucktitude.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I like highfill but he can’t be the plan for a starting catcher next year. I would honestly go as far as to permanently move him to RF. He’s athletic and has a very good arm but he’s just not an SEC catcher. I like his bat though. He’s probably not going to be a a super high average but he had a good slugging percentage this year. Cut down on strikeouts some, walk a few more times and he’s a good OPS guy. I see him as a high teens HR type guy.

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
All the pitching stats are mostly bad evaluations. Too many recruits were high velocity, high spin rate but had known control issues. We thought we could fix them. Nothing wrong with taking a guy or two like that. Sometimes it works out like Ethan small. Most of the time it does not.

The fielding, errors and passed balls were mostly a result of us recruiting hitters first and trying to figure out a position later. That applies to everyone except SS. I have to think Forsythe was never really recruited to a be a starting SS, except for maybe other than a 5th year senior.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
All the pitching stats are mostly bad evaluations. Too many recruits were high velocity, high spin rate but had known control issues. We thought we could fix them. Nothing wrong with taking a guy or two like that. Sometimes it works out like Ethan small. Most of the time it does not.

The fielding, errors and passed balls were mostly a result of us recruiting hitters first and trying to figure out a position later. That applies to everyone except SS. I have to think Forsythe was never really recruited to a be a starting SS, except for maybe other than a 5th year senior.
Totally agree on pitching but you also had a pitching coach doing literally nothing. Like seriously- nothing. So I’m hopeful a new PC will have a big impact as we prop Bernie up

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Dead Confederate Indians you say?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Walks and hbp caused most of what’s listed there.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Our pitchers trying to peg the radar gun on 7, 8, & 9 batters and giving them a free bag on walks. Loading up the bases for the top of the order. Placement and defense is what was needed at the bottom of the order. Let them hit it if they could.
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Our pitchers trying to peg the radar gun on 7, 8, & 9 batters and giving them a free bag on walks. Loading up the bases for the top of the order. Placement and defense is what was needed at the bottom of the order. Let them hit it if they could.
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF
I'm not sure we were trying to "peg" the radar gun. Maybe, but it seems like we tried to get too fancy instead of just throwing strikes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login