What changed where our running game is non-existent?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Did Sharp and Johnson's injuries make that much of a difference? Are people playing differently and we won't adjust.

Discuss.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Did Sharp and Johnson's injuries make that much of a difference? Are people playing differently and we won't adjust.

Discuss.

Probably a little of both between injuries and scheme. Johnson was certainly our bellcow, and even though he was back against Auburn he didn’t seem to be 100%. Rogers seems to check to the run more often with him out there.

I also think more 4 man fronts and disguised 3 man fronts are fooling Rogers a bit. Hopefully we can pick up some tendencies there to get back to the levels of success we had against A&M and Arkansas.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Here's a thread hijack - does Leach gameplan for each opponent? Does he throw in any wrinkles?

Or is it all scheme and execution on the same plays?

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Here's a thread hijack - does Leach gameplan for each opponent? Does he throw in any wrinkles?

Or is it all scheme and execution?
I wish I knew the very specific answer to this question.

I do know, last year, in the middle of the 1Q against OM, our OL coach vociferously asked for schematic help in blocking that incredible DE that OM had. Leach shot it down and went with what they always do on OL. After the game, the next week, Leach admitted that was probably a mistake on his behalf.

So, when I hear stories like that, it makes me think Leach doesn't really scheme for the opponent. He does what he's going to do and hope it works. If an opponent has a strength or weakness, it doesn't appear that we necessarily plan specifically for that.

Reactions: #ShowOff

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
10 carries for 44 yards agin AU. 7 from Marks for 45 (long 14) & 3 for -1 for Johnson. Those numbers tell me we didn't run it enough based on how our O was sucking for a while during the game. It seems we should do it more to create uncertainty that woluld open things up more.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

I do know, last year, in the middle of the 1Q against OM, our OL coach vociferously asked for schematic help in blocking that incredible DE that OM had. Leach shot it down and went with what they always do on OL. After the game, the next week, Leach admitted that was probably a mistake on his behalf.

So, when I hear stories like that, it makes me think Leach doesn't really scheme for the opponent. He does what he's going to do and hope it works. If an opponent has a strength or weakness, it doesn't appear that we necessarily plan specifically for that.
This is the reason Leach has so much freakin time to watch Netflix and read history books.
He doesn’t think he needs to prepare like normal HC’s bc his “scheme” works against any opponent if the players just “execute” it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is the reason Leach has so much freakin time to watch Netflix and read history books.
He doesn’t think he needs to prepare like normal HC’s bc his “scheme” works against any opponent if the players just “execute” it.
And when it doesn't, it's always the players' fault.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think its from the 4-3 defense with disguised pressure, forces us to pass mostly and pass quickly
Yep, Kentucky, Alabama and Auburn all played 4-3 defense to stop our running game and force the pass. All of them had good enough talent to play man-on-man against our receivers. My biggest gripe about our play calling is all the runs up the middle. Earlier in the season when we ran just outside the tackles we were getting 5-7 yards per carry. Running up the middle on Alabama and Auburn was fools gold. With that said, Marks scored the game winning TD running up the middle.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
When they put a bunch in the box we aren't and should not run the ball. When they don't do that (Arkansas / A&M) we are going to run it down their throat. Our problem is that Will Rogers can't handle pressure at all. He folds and sees ghosts and doesn't know where his hot routes are most of the time (or our OL completely whiffs and makes the DE look like an all american and sometimes they are actually all americans). My biggest complaint is that it's year 3 and we still have the same quarterback not knowing how to recognize pressure or have any feel within the pocket and the fact that we don't give our tackles any protection at all when they are continually getting their asses handed to them.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
He does what he's going to do and hope it works. If an opponent has a strength or weakness, it doesn't appear that we necessarily plan specifically for that.
I generally like Leach but that's not something that fills me with a lot of hope in terms of consistently getting over the 6-7 win hump.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

That's a question I've wondered about for a time now. How does a HC prepare both sides of the ball when your own O & D do as$ opposite of what your next opponent is gonna do?

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

Naked Gun Movie GIF
Everything Is Fine GIF by The Good Place

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
During the Kentucky game, it was situational as to why we did not run more. Look at the drive charts.

We had a few good runs early. Kentucky adjusted. The runs then became minimal creating Longer down and distance. And/Or we got penalties to put us behind the chains, creating longer distance in later downs.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The OL was fine. We flat refused to run it. Dillon being hurt is part of it but AU gave up almost 300 yards rushing against OM and haven't good good be the run. Heck, we averaged good yards we just refused to run it.

Nov 25, 2019
Yep, Kentucky, Alabama and Auburn all played 4-3 defense to stop our running game and force the pass. All of them had good enough talent to play man-on-man against our receivers. My biggest gripe about our play calling is all the runs up the middle. Earlier in the season when we ran just outside the tackles we were getting 5-7 yards per carry. Running up the middle on Alabama and Auburn was fools gold. With that said, Marks scored the game winning TD running up the middle.
that was an audible from Will on a pass play that had been called.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
10 carries for 44 yards agin AU. 7 from Marks for 45 (long 14) & 3 for -1 for Johnson. Those numbers tell me we didn't run it enough based on how our O was sucking for a while during the game. It seems we should do it more to create uncertainty that woluld open things up more.
Here's what those runs looked like per play-by-play. Marks had 7 runs, 3 go for over 10 yards and 1 for the game winning TD. It's really head scratching when a guy averages over 6 yards / carry and picks up a first down on half his carries --- but we refuse to run him more.

Marks 2nd & 1: 11
Marks 1st & 5: 1
Marks 3rd & 1: -1
Johnson 2nd & 10: 3
Marks 2nd & 10: 12
Marks 2nd & 20: 3
Johnson: 1st & 10: -3
Johnson: 3rd & 1: -1
Marks: 2nd & 1: 14
Marks: 1st & 5: 5 / TD

WutheringDawg

Dec 4, 2010
Probably a combination of a lot of things. At Kentucky Johnson and Marks get banged up and Kentucky holds the ball for 40 minutes. We false start on 5/11 third down attempts (not all would have been rush attempts but definitely took the option away). Our average down and distance in 2nd down was a little more than 8 yards (not sure how to phrase that). All of that is to say, the Kentucky game we basically took the run game ourselves.

Not even gonna analyze Alabama. We hoist the **** stained white underwear flag before we get off the bus with that one.

The auburn game is weird though. Sure we didn’t run much in the first half. We didn’t really need to. 24 points and cruising on like 6 carries. We all know the fiasco that was the 2nd half last Saturday but constant sacks do not lend to many rushing downs. Something like 5 straight drives where Will took a huge loss.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

WutheringDawg

Dec 4, 2010

Hijack hijack - is there a coach that you can show (preferably with examples) that does gameplan his offense for each opponent?

But to answer your question, no I don’t think so. The only time in thirty five years of watching this team that I can remember a coach actually drawing up an off the wall gameplan for one team was Moorhead in that Auburn game where we motioned a runner into the backfield all game long.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
a few things.

our line can't block 4-5
Will can't read the defense correctly
Leach doesn't fix either issues
Leach and Will face adversity and default to base offense and just pass.
Leach doesn't just call a damn run.
We must not have a coach in the booth helping to read coverages and radioing down.
Johnson has been banged up.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

This is depressing to think about. In a conference with a high concentration of really good coaches and really good players, you are going to get ****** more often than not doing it like this.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
If an opponent has a strength or weakness, it doesn't appear that we necessarily plan specifically for that.
Don't good football coaches scout their opponents to develop plans for beating each of their opponents?

Surely they do, right?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't good football coaches scout their opponents to develop plans for beating each of their opponents?

Surely they do, right?
ALL coaches do this. Pretty sure even Croominator did it (he just didn’t start until Tuesday or so).

Rosey say, Leach requested 11 am for ETSU in order to get a head start prepping for Ole Miss, and to watch them, etc.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Discuss.

I really think it's 3 issues that pop up at times. Defenses are changing the way they play us. We forced them to. So now the new looks sometimes throw Will off in his reads. Next is that the the right read is made (turns out to be pass), wrs are not fighting to the open position. Injuries in some games limited us. Games like UK where both backs were injured and we had to reshuffle the OL.

People are going to stop playing that rush 3 drop 8. It's not working due to our ground game. And that's good. But when you miss on a few reads on passing it changes play calling.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

He Game plans the looks and tendencies out of the looks and then game day calls are based on the looks they get at that specific time or yards needed. Then Will can audible out if he reads something different. That is why there is little room for lack of execution or bad reads/audibles. It's a concept offense designed to attack space.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I think it comes down to Rogers making the reads at the line. He’s been off for a few games now and I hope he gets it straightened out.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
ALL coaches do this. Pretty sure even Croominator did it (he just didn’t start until Tuesday or so).

Rosey say, Leach requested 11 am for ETSU in order to get a head start prepping for Ole Miss, and to watch them, etc.
I think Leach gets sleepy during those night games....

DawgAmerica

Oct 18, 2013
I think it pretty simple:

Teams know how to line up to make us check out of a potential run.

Good defenses who have confidence that they can cover the receivers long enough to get pressure can make us (even more) 1 dimensional simply by how they line up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login