What changed where our running game is non-existent?...

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Hijack hijack - is there a coach that you can show (preferably with examples) that does gameplan his offense for each opponent?

But to answer your question, no I don’t think so. The only time in thirty five years of watching this team that I can remember a coach actually drawing up an off the wall gameplan for one team was Moorhead in that Auburn game where we motioned a runner into the backfield all game long.
I'm not going to go back looking for examples - but I feel Mullen did this at times, maybe more so in his early years. Best example off top of my head, Florida 2010. You could tell our strategy was to simply not screw up. Run the ball and chew up clock. I don't think it always worked out so well but we definitely went into games with different strategies. Nothing really "off the wall" but we seemed to go into games looking to either run or pass more based on who we were facing.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Probably a little of both between injuries and scheme. Johnson was certainly our bellcow, and even though he was back against Auburn he didn’t seem to be 100%. Rogers seems to check to the run more often with him out there.

I also think more 4 man fronts and disguised 3 man fronts are fooling Rogers a bit. Hopefully we can pick up some tendencies there to get back to the levels of success we had against A&M and Arkansas.
It’s the second part. The presnap looks.
It’s the talent on the dline combined with the defensive alignment. Auburn was loading the box forcing a pass, and disguising their coverage. When we snapped they dropped back and changed coverage.
I think it comes down to Rogers making the reads at the line. He’s been off for a few games now and I hope he gets it straightened out.
Which is why it’s criminal not to have an RPO package.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It’s the talent on the dline combined with the defensive alignment. Auburn was loading the box forcing a pass, and disguising their coverage. When we snapped they dropped back and changed coverage.
And Like Leach Said that they also will line up like cover 8 then send 2 or so firing off towards the LOS at the snap. Would like to see more draws and shovel passes which I think would make play action more effective. Anybody remember that 3rd and long draw Croom called @ AU?

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
My guess is the coaches had several games to review tape of our "newfound running game" and figured out what Will is looking for when he audibles to a run. They can disguise the look pre snap so he picks pass them they back out to cover pass.
It was pretty obvious based on number in the box that we were going to run (or at least should). Last year it still didn't work so no one had to even worry about disguising. This year as coaches saw it working too good they adjusted to once again take the run away.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
The frustrating part is our run game is still working, we just never do it unless Will likes what he sees. We need to use it a little more against "bad" numbers in the box just to keep teams guessing a little more.

Reactions: Anon1667145881

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
The frustrating part is our run game is still working, we just never do it unless Will likes what he sees. We need to use it a little more against "bad" numbers in the box just to keep teams guessing a little more.
Nah we really don't. It's working because we are running the ball at the correct times. Running into a brick wall just to make sure the bricks are real isn't going to help our offense.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Nah we really don't. It's working because we are running the ball at the correct times. Running into a brick wall just to make sure the bricks are real isn't going to help our offense.
Im not advocating for much more but we cannot go 27 straight passes just because we don't get the pre snap look we want. If we've gone 10 straight passes call a damn run just to keep them on their toes (obviously not on 3rd and 10). Sometimes a 1 yard gain is worth a lot more than 1 yard.

Reactions: patdog

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I think it pretty simple:

Teams know how to line up to make us check out of a potential run.

Good defenses who have confidence that they can cover the receivers long enough to get pressure can make us (even more) 1 dimensional simply by how they line up.
Just think if we actually used motion etc. to help better identify things. We literally do nothing to help ourselves.

Reactions: patdog

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Oh gosh, an offensive genius is in the house
Considering motion would help our extremely below average QB read a defense a little better, I'd say he's pretty smart considering our offensive savant hasn't realized that yet. High School coaches are smart enough to realize that.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Considering motion would help our extremely below average QB read a defense a little better, I'd say he's pretty smart considering our offensive savant hasn't realized that yet. High School coaches are smart enough to realize that.
Is that your experience in peewee football ? What d one colleges have you been an offensive coordinator for ?

are defenses playing man coverage ?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login