What cool places on campus did you find as a student?

Bigleachguy24

Apr 11, 2022
We thought we were big stuff when we climbed up through Swalm's penthouse and onto the roof overlooking the drill field. Beautiful view. Wondering if anybody else found some cool openings or if we were just reckless. Always heard rumors about the Hump or Leo Seal being left open. There were always some cool things that someone left unlocked

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Private stall. Third floor Lloyd-Ricks. View of DWS with window raised.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Periodical storage in the library circa late 90's.

Single-person elevator complete with industrial-style safety equipment up to a large, dusty room full of old magazines that felt totally out of place in Mitchell and in my memory was only lit by the sun streaming in through the windows. After I found what I needed, I spent a while leafing through old issues of Sports Illustrated.
Looking at the floor plan online now, it either doesn't exist anymore or isn't marked.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
The stairwell to the Jumbotron was frequently left unlocked in DWS prior to the horseshoe. Student section was simply bleachers. We'd climb up the ladder and peek through the maroon screens on the left and right hand side of the jumbotron at what felt like 1000 feet above the field.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I heard about some great minds that got up there. We used to get into the Palmero Center at night
I heard some other great minds liked to go out to the practice field as well… the equipment team used to be really bad about picking everything up after practice

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That area was publicly available when I was a student and a lot of the books I used in grad school were shelved there. The renovation in the mid-90s changed that.

I’m wondering how much the Grant Library changed things up.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Top floor on back side of Montgomery Hall. Had to go through ceiling of 3rd floor. Awesome view. Was closed off because of fire safety codes.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I was recently on campus and went to the Grant Library and the Lincolniana exhibit. The 4th floor was added to the library to house them. Also on the 4th floor is the Templeton music museum. I enjoyed spending some time touring each exhibit. The Templeton Museum was a pleasant surprise. I'm sure the addition changed a lot of things in the floors below.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We thought we were big stuff when we climbed up through Swalm's penthouse and onto the roof overlooking the drill field. Beautiful view. Wondering if anybody else found some cool openings or if we were just reckless. Always heard rumors about the Hump or Leo Seal being left open. There were always some cool things that someone left unlocked

In the late 80s/early 90s, the Hump was almost always open during the day.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Me too.

Top floor on back side of Montgomery Hall. Had to go through ceiling of 3rd floor. Awesome view. Was closed off because of fire safety codes.
We went up the outside ladder fire escape and in through the window. Was padlocked at the top of the stairs inside.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
We went up the outside ladder fire escape and in through the window. Was padlocked at the top of the stairs inside.

Access was open late 80’s - early 90s. After countless hours in that building there were breaks that turned into an exploration.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Cobb Institute Museum (Cobb Hall)

Also, was there during the stadium expansion which was an amazing playground for drunk college students when they were building the upper deck.
Montgomery Hall was interesting too, near McCool/Cafeteria. Simrall Hall's high power lab was cool.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Yep, used to watch Coach Williams coach/build that SEC Championship team in the late 80s/early 90s. His practices were intense.
MSU: 1991 SEC Champs!

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
South End Zone scoreboard was almost always open at night until 2015 or 2016 when the student fell from way up inside it and died. There was lots of graffiti up there of people that had climbed it to that point, or so I'm told.................

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
It's not that it's a "find", but eckies pond. I like it so much that we got a memorial tree planted for my son last year. We went a visited it in May 21, and I couldn't have asked for better.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I didnt go onto campus often enough or stay there for long enough periods of time to find cool places.
#5yearplan

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Eckie's pond is an awesome little spot. I worked for the school while i was in school and always enjoyed doing the landscaping around the pond and the guest house that's right next to it

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Not on campus, but the old golf course behind the Highlands could be accessed via Blackjack Rd. "heard" it made for a great spot to go shooting/mudriding/fishing and when you saw the flashing no-no lights from the highlands, just cut out onto Blackjack

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
There were rumors of seances being held up there. When some friends and I broke in (mid 90s), it wasn't as creepy as we had been told.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I was waiting for this one. At one point there were tunnels that lead into Perry. You could access it from behind Montgomery Hall.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
it's out that general direction, yeah. Just went back and took a gander at the maps and it seems right.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Did the recent project they did At Eckie's Pond kind of ruin it? Just looking at aerials, it looks like they cleared all the trees between the pond and the parking lots and added bulkheads or other hard edge to the pond.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I found a private bathroom that was my own for 3 years. I'm trying to remember now exactly where it was but I'm pretty sure it was hiding somewhere in the cafeteria close to the ice cream shop. I've been a professor for 20 years now and that was the first thing I scouted when I came to my current institution - a man needs some privacy for his morning constitutional, and undergrads are pretty damn gross.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I worked at the library right before the renovation, those stacks were crazy. Used to just go exploring around in there; some really cool old volumes. Every now and then I'd happen upon a couple getting busy.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Stayed in Hathorn overnight one time. Had to pee in the middle of the night and snuck to the bathroom. A girl walked in when I was walking out, luckily she didn’t narc on me.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I remember getting to the top floor of Montgomery a few times. Ppl kept saying that their were seances and cults held there......
The hump "supposedly" was left open a few times and things could be removed there "supposedly'.
For some reason a lot of the exploring that i did i don't remember very well.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
There were rumors of seances being held up there. When some friends and I broke in (mid 90s), it wasn't as creepy as we had been told.

That rumor existed in the 80's too...explored it in '86...total yawner

But that building is an architectural wonder

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Too many to list here...Sneaked into the stadium (before it was DWS) at Scott Field one night in '86 (?) when the upper west deck was under construction. Was trying to a better view of Halley's Comet

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
I was waiting for this one. At one point there were tunnels that lead into Perry. You could access it from behind Montgomery Hall.

We got into perry via the tunnels one night....or maybe ot depending on if there are any authorities reading.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
Not really. It was their dry storage.

The security guard on campus that resembled Lou ferrigno (if it was dark, you were drunk and squinting) would tail us around campus most of the time so it wasn't easy to just go back

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
The old stacks in Mitchell with my then girlfriend who was open to new ideas and suggestions. New ideas found in those books, of course.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login