What did Vandy do to get where they are?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
He has been 2-10, 5-7, 2-10 at Vandy. Is Pavia that much of a difference maker?

Kentucky isn't great but they beat them at Kentucky. Then of course you have the Bama win.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Is Pavia that much of a difference maker?
Yes, he is.

Pavia has some quickness that permits him to run away from trouble. Also, he can throw a good ball if his receivers get open.

I watched all of the Vanderbilt-Virginia Tech game, and Pavia made play after play after play to win that game.

That's what good players do . . . when a big play is needed, they make plays that win the game.

And Pavia is a good player that makes plays.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Pavia was the QB at New Mexico St. when they crushed Auburn in 2023. So he seems to be a difference maker.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The thing that jumps out to me most about Vandy is that they've actually paid attention to defensive guys in their portal recruiting during the last few years, and it shows in the stats. Their last 3 transfer classes are littered with LBs, DLs, and secondary guys.

They're basically the exact defense that we hoped we have this year at #54 in total defense while giving up 340 yds and 23 pts/gm. Meanwhile, our a$$ defense is #125 while giving up 466 yds and 32 pts/gm. The funniest part about looking at the numbers this morning was seeing that Vandy is actually one spot ahead of almighty Bama

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Quote from Tim Beck from the article. I’ve been saying this forever because we’re not far off from Vandy with regards the the rest of the SEC. He changed his offense approach and philosophy this year.

Beck says,
"We dont want to be like everybody else," Beck says. "We don’t want to run the same exact plays as everybody else, we feel like we have to be a little bit different. To turn things around here I think it’s extremely important to be different." Beck has embraced that reality as he's made an effort to overhaul Vanderbilt's offense…”

Most Stat fans, especially on this board haven’t embraced the same reality yet. To be different also can include the other side of the ball that has been forgotten as well. This is the reason Leach hired Arnett. Leach said it was because his 3-3-5 at the time was different. Leach said it was essentially like him but on the other side of the ball. Leach understood the reality and embraced it.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
It really probably is that simple. That and a little luck.
Their portal finds included an offensive coordinator. The portal finds fit the new scheme. The portal finds wouldn’t start for the SEC teams they’ve beaten. They put 40 on Alabama not by luck. Go up and read my article I posted.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Quote from Tim Beck from the article. I’ve been saying this forever because we’re not far off from Vandy with regards the the rest of the SEC. He changed his offense approach and philosophy this year.

Beck says,
"We dont want to be like everybody else," Beck says. "We don’t want to run the same exact plays as everybody else, we feel like we have to be a little bit different. To turn things around here I think it’s extremely important to be different." Beck has embraced that reality as he's made an effort to overhaul Vanderbilt's offense…”

Most Stat fans, especially on this board haven’t embraced the same reality yet. To be different also can include the other side of the ball that has been forgotten as well. This is the reason Leach hired Arnett. Leach said it was because his 3-3-5 at the time was different. Leach said it was essentially like him but on the other side of the ball. Leach understood the reality and embraced it.
Bingo.

You can see it already. No one, even in this thread, wants to face and accept this fact/reality. Didn't even acknowledge your article.

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldoghair

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Their portal finds worked out. It’s a crap shoot and they rolled a 7.
Pavia wouldn’t start for Alabama or Kentucky this year. However he is perfect for their new offensive coordinator and scheme this year. In the same way Chris Relf wouldn’t have started for anyone we beat. But Mullen that year, ran the same approach or basically fundamentally similar to the way in which Vandy has gone. That is to be different. Be tough and different when you’re the underdog. Otherwise you have no chance.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The answer no one wants to hear is they are doing a $300M upgrade and that gets you things in both college football and the NFL (the NFL would need to be $3B upgrade). Yes there are very real short term rewards for the long term investing in your program by the league you are in (i.e. officials, Vegas, other teams having to take the L)

And then yes just outbid the other guys by 20% to get the linemen you want and a few key skill players. It' s not difficult.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
The new Vandy OC is Jerry Kill, the former coach at Minnesota and New Mexico. Kill has epilepsy. He quit at NM because of the stress. Vandy doesn’t care if you win, you know, less stress, less seizures.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rumor is Vandy has started pouring a lot of money into their NIL.
The answer no one wants to hear is they are doing a $300M upgrade and that gets you things in both college football and the NFL (the NFL would need to be $3B upgrade). Yes there are very real short term rewards for the long term investing in your program by the league you are in (i.e. officials, Vegas, other teams having to take the L)

And then yes just outbid the other guys by 20% to get the linemen you want and a few key skill players. It' s not difficult.
Vanderbilt does not have better players than their opponents. At least, not thought to be at the time of signing. What I'm saying is, NIL is not what is causing this.

They simply had some older players, coupled with some transfers and coaches that worked out. And again, it's not like they are elite or something. They still lost to Georgia State.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Bingo.

You can see it already. No one, even in this thread, wants to face and accept this fact/reality. Didn't even acknowledge your article.
Reminds me of talking to my wife ha. You can’t change what you don’t acknowledge. It just takes some people longer to see and accept the truth. Then there are others who are just retarded, so we pray for them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Reminds me of talking to my wife ha. You can’t change what you don’t acknowledge. It just takes some people longer to see and accept the truth. Then there are others who are just retarded, so we pray for them.
It goes pretty deep with our people. I mean you won't find 20% of our fans that acknowledge how incredibly STUPID it was to change our primary athletics logo way from the primary school logo. I'm not talking about the helmets, uniforms, baseball hats, merch, whatever, those can change, vary, stay the same, etc. I'm talking about the primary, visible logo - that is seen on the side of the stadiums, 50-yard line, midcourt, on websites, on TV next to the score, etc. Just a fundamental misstep on all counts and NOBODY will acknowledge this. People want us to pick a logo and stick with it. Well, we did, for 25 years. And promptly went straight back to our previous, unsuccessful ways.

So if we can't even acknowledge that.....I don't expect much self analyzation anywhere else. Remember, Cohen tried to talk about these things, and was hated for it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Jerry Kill and Diego Pavia. Kill is an excellent head coach but has had health issues that have made him step down from a couple of different roles. Lea getting him on his staff was an absolute steal.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Certainly better. QB matters. But also the win over Bama isn’t like a win over Bama was in the past.

Reactions: patdog

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Vanderbilt does not have better players than their opponents. At least, not thought to be at the time of signing. What I'm saying is, NIL is not what is causing this.

They simply had some older players, coupled with some transfers and coaches that worked out. And again, it's not like they are elite or something. They still lost to Georgia State.
I’d also argue that Vandy doesn’t have to worry about the bigger schools wanting and buying there offensive players as much as we do. That’s also a big plus in going with an against the norm offense. Our approach translates to what most everyone else is doing, thus, we will have more guys looking around or we’ll have to pony up much more than Vandy to keep our good guys on offense. In the same way if NIL transfer portal was a thing back when we had Relf ect, not one SEC school would be trying to buy him from us. So if you don’t have the same pocket book as everyone else, you best find a way to succeed with a scheme that doesn’t translate to the same as what others are doing except with more money to spend.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He's there dan mullen. He's figured out how to win 7-8-9 games for a long time at a place no one else really could. He's not someone I go after to win at a bigger school, but hes dang good at what he does at where hes at.
He hasn't come close to doing that yet.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He's talking about Stoops at Kentucky, not Lea. Stoops has absolutely been very Mullen-like.
For the record. Mullen at MSU - 7.7 wins per season. Stoops at Kentucky - 6.9 wins per season (probably slightly less after this year). So, Stoops = Mullen lite.

Reactions: L4Dawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
For the record. Mullen at MSU - 7.7 wins per season. Stoops at Kentucky - 6.9 wins per season (probably slightly less after this year). So, Stoops = Mullen lite.
Does this take into account that Kentucky and stoops has always had to play Louisville. A quality program in the OOC schedule that Mullen was never made to play?

Also stoops took over a 2-10 program. Went 2-10 in year 1. You take that year out.. and their numbers are basically identical... a few 5 win seasons.. one-two really good seasons... and a lot of 6-7-8 win years

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Does this take into account that Kentucky and stoops has always had to play Louisville. A quality program in the OOC schedule that Mullen was never made to play?

Also stoops took over a 2-10 program. Went 2-10 in year 1. You take that year out.. and their numbers are basically identical... a few 5 win seasons.. one-two really good seasons... and a lot of 6-7-8 win years
I forget Mullen only played P5 OOC in 2016 and 2017 - BYU.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I think Jerry Kill is playing a major roll there, regardless of his title. He's a damned good football coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login