What do you think about college basketball coaches dressing down?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
They started it last year with Covid and no crowds and most of them have continued it this year. Not many suits and more polos, pullovers and hoodies. I hate the casual look. It looks like they’re coaching a rec game at the YMCA on a Saturday morning. Go back to the suits.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If Howland coaches the team into the NCAA tournament, I don't give a blue 17 what he wears.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I couldn’t care less. Never saw the need for them to wear a suit to begin with. You don’t see baseball or football coaches doing it

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
They started it last year with Covid and no crowds and most of them have continued it this year. Not many suits and more polos, pullovers and hoodies. I hate the casual look. It looks like they’re coaching a rec game at the YMCA on a Saturday morning. Go back to the suits.

They're showing kids how to put a bouncy ball in a hoop in the air. What part of that involves wearing semi-formal attire?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Bob Huggins hasn’t worn a suit in years. I don’t ever remember Bob Knight wearing one either.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Howland dresses like he's ready for an early morning...

shuffleboard match at an "Independent Senior Living Community" in Sarasota. Very appropriate if you ask me...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think it's ridiculous for skippers to wear a baseball uniform.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

As long as they don't wear shorts.**

I think a suit is somewhat ridiculous. I think slacks and a blazer is a good professional look, but it obviously really doesn't matter. I think if I were a coach starting out, I'd probably go with slacks and a blazer, just because some people care for whatever reason. If I were successful, I'd probably work my way to golf pants and a polo.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Coaches outfits have always fascinated me. Baseball coaches dress like the players, football normally slacks & a polo or something similar, while basketball coaches wear suits & ties.

And yet basketball coaches are normally the ones we see soaked in sweat. If anyone should be dressed like the players, it's a basketball coach who's constantly up & down his side of the court screaming & yelling. Let them wear shorts & a t-shirt.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I watched a 40 year old man coaching an 11 year old travel team do it, and get mercy-ruled after 2 innings.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What's the history on basketball coaches wearing suits. Had to start somewhere

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What's the history on basketball coaches wearing suits. Had to start somewhere

Probably similar to the history of football coaches wearing a suit or a tie and sweater, etc.
I would guess it started 90 whatever years ago when wearing thst stuffy **** was normal.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I hate the casual look. It looks like they’re coaching a rec game at the YMCA on a Saturday morning. Go back to the suits.

I love it. A suit isn't comfortable. Coaches were constantly taking their jackets off due to heat/restriction. Shirts were comically sweated thru.
It was an absurd look and the change is for the better.

Huggins has terrible fashion, but it looks like he was ahead of the curve on this one.
Jay Wright can keep rocking his $5000 suits if he wants.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've always thought it was ridiculous for any coach to wear a coat and tie no matter what sport. I think baseball managers wearing a uniform is just as dumb or worse. What if a basketball coach wore baggy *** shorts and a wife beater like his team?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm not sure Jackie Sherrill ever coached a game NOT in a shirt and tie.
I remember when Al Golden rocked out in a shirt and tie in like 2010, and he looked like an idiot even then.

I think there's some new guy trying to do it now too, somewhere in P5. Can't remember who it is.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You're young.

He wore jacket and tie in the 1970s and maybe even early 80s.

Let's see if this embed works (if it doesn't show up, just click the link):

Gah. The post looks messed up to me. My apologies if it's the case for y'all.

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I couldn’t care less. Never saw the need for them to wear a suit to begin with. You don’t see baseball or football coaches doing it

CagerMania

Feb 27, 2008
Not basketball, but a few years ago Jack Del Rio (when he was the jags head coach) wanted to wear a suit on the sideline as an homage to his father. The NFL wouldn’t let him, presumably because Nike doesn’t make suits.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What if a basketball coach wore baggy *** shorts and a wife beater like his team?

What is this, the late 90s?
Have you seen basketball in the last decade, and especially the last 5 years?
Baggy *** shorts?...keep up.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don’t understand the purpose of ties anymore. They were used to hold your shirt collar together. We have buttons now. Everyone should just be comfortable. I know I’m in the minority there.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I’m cool with casual coaches. Some of these guys dress like pimps with their $4000 designer suits and alligator loafers. It’s a sport-not a banker’s convention. I get a mental picture of Rick Pitino in his Brooks Brothers finest-his fancy clothes didn’t take away from the fact that he was a low-down cheating POS, in my opinion. Not necessarily an opinion shared by everyone, I realize.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login