Dec 23, 2023
The thief returns to the scene of the crime this Saturday
Are you gonna:

1. cheer him
2. Boo him
3. Hope Meg gives you a lip lock

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
They prefer msu to be ****** like we were on the 60s. I guess 60s dog hates seeing us with all kinds of nfl stars the past 14 years. Also hated us going 10-3. Being ranked number 1 and having a bowl streak. 60s dog enjoys being 2-10 and being home on new years.
i might have missed it and could very well be wrong but what proof does anyone have that Dan was texting on the sidelines about another job during the EB?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
i might have missed it and could very well be wrong but what proof does anyone have that Dan was texting on the sidelines about another job during the EB?
They don't have any. They don't want to admit ole miss had one of the best defenses in 2014/2015. In 2017 they broke our qbs. I blame 2014 finish on collins having one foot out the door already by the egg bowl

Reactions: BulldawgFan

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He absolutely deserves cheers.
I have no problem with Dan but I’m not going to cheer him. He was a highly compensated employee and MSU was his employer. I appreciate that Dan did a really good job for MSU and would definitely say hi and be friendly if I came across him. But I’m only going to cheer an ex coach if it’s a coach who came to see MSU as more than just an employer (which again, is fine. I’d rather have a good coach that didn’t love the school than a bad coach who does). I’ll cheer the Kang, Polk, probably even the intense bastard eventually, as he did at least view MSU baseball as something special even if his shortcomings as AD caused some resentment on both sides. Richard Williams and stansbury also.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have no problem with Dan but I’m not going to cheer him. He was a highly compensated employee and MSU was his employer. I appreciate that Dan did a really good job for MSU and would definitely say hi and be friendly if I came across him. But I’m only going to cheer an ex coach if it’s a coach who came to see MSU as more than just an employer (which again, is fine. I’d rather have a good coach that didn’t love the school than a bad coach who does). I’ll cheer the Kang, Polk, probably even the intense bastard eventually, as he did at least view MSU baseball as something special even if his shortcomings as AD caused some resentment on both sides. Richard Williams and stansbury also.
What makes him any different than the others you named.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Not so sure about statues, but he indeed got us to #1 and held it, I believe until the Alabama game that year.
For all of Ole Miss's supposedly storied history, we've spent exactly the same number of weeks ranked #1 in the AP poll - 5. We did it in the modern era of football (not just white boys) while ole miss was last ranked #1 in 1961. Dan did pretty damn good.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
If he would have stayed through 2018 I would feel differently but he didn’t so 17 him. And my mind won’t change. Again 17 him.

Reactions: RopeDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I believe, rightly or wrongly, that MSU became something more than just another employer to them.

that’s not a criticism of Dan. That’s a perfectly reasonable position and I’m fine if Lenny’s the same way. All but one of my employers have just been employers. I think they’ve appreciated me and I’ve appreciated them. None of us will be clapping or cheering each other though.

ETA: if we were honoring the 2014 team, I’d absolutely cheer him. Not going to cheer him just because he’s in the stadium though.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I won't give him or her a 2nd thought. I think you have to have a pair of Beats on your ears and get off the bus to get a kiss from Miss Meagan, never saw her randomly kiss anybody else

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I believe, rightly or wrongly, that MSU became something more than just another employer to them.

I dont recall how I met them, but I met their starkville neighbors shortly after they left for Florida, and yes, the indication was that it was a tough separation as they'd all become close friends and despite the lack of a Target, they did love being at State.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

that’s not a criticism of Dan. That’s a perfectly reasonable position and I’m fine if Lenny’s the same way. All but one of my employers have just been employers. I think they’ve appreciated me and I’ve appreciated them. None of us will be clapping or cheering each other though.

ETA: if we were honoring the 2014 team, I’d absolutely cheer him. Not going to cheer him just because he’s in the stadium though.
That’s why he will be there.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am old enough now to see how our fans consistently treat the good coaches we have. We are very quick to raise expectations and when they aren’t met, we blame the coach who raised them to begin with. So in that vein, I understand why he left and will now cheer him. I mean look at Jackie, he had chances to leave, didn’t, and the job eventually ate him up and ended his career.

I didn’t cheer for him at Flarrda though, because his success there helps build the narrative that it’s harder to win at MSU, even if it’s true. Perception matters.

But our fanbase really needs to look inwards and get real about our toxic tendencies when it comes to football.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He lost the Eggo Bowl three too many times --- maybe four. He choked against Bama twice.

He's dead to me.
It’s pretty nuts to me that a majority of our fans, and much our leadership and boosters, actually agree with your take. Totally delusional and unable to see the big picture. Not to mention the obsession with Ole Miss. I mean our president actually overruled our AD in 2019 because we got in our feels over a game that Ole Miss literally pissed away.

You know, most coaches don’t get the chance to “choke” because they never get us in that position to begin with.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Well I’m an idiot. I was assuming he was going to be there for color commentary. Didn’t think about this being 10 years.

can’t put my finger on why, but I haven’t been paying a ton of attention to football this year.
Now I agree with you about just being there for commentary etc.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well I’m an idiot. I was assuming he was going to be there for color commentary. Didn’t think about this being 10 years.

can’t put my finger on why, but I haven’t been paying a ton of attention to football this year.
Just a little historical factoid. Last time I remember us celebrating a team was the 1998 team. Jackie came back and was cheered…..I was curious what type of reception he would get.

The game? 3-2.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
If he would have stayed through 2018 I would feel differently but he didn’t so 17 him. And my mind won’t change. Again 17 him.
He could have named his next job had he stayed for 2018. I’ll never get over that season. That was our chance.

BulldawgFan

Oct 7, 2013
The difference is Dan was good enough to be offered a promotion to a “better” school. The others were not.

Apparently a big part of our fanbase prefers a coach that does a mediocre or poor job and has no other options than to stick around until we have to fire him.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login