What do you think about NBC broadcasting the playoff game only on Peacock?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I just have YouTubeTv and ESPN. As far as streaming apps, they all let you pause them. Jump on one one month and pause and jump to another the next month. I'm not paying a boat load to get a bunch of streaming of 8-10 show seasons. Regular tv gives you double the shows in a season. I'll pick and chose one streaming service and that's it for the month.
By the way, the NFL is rigged. From setting up Stafford at Detroit, Tyreek at KC, GB and McCarthy, to the Steelers making the playoffs all of a sudden, to the Super logo colors matching SF and Baltimore colors. Vegas owns the NFL.
I don't know if it's a conspiracy, sure is a good coincidence that all those things happened in one year.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I just have YouTubeTv and ESPN. As far as streaming apps, they all let you pause them. Jump on one one month and pause and jump to another the next month. I'm not paying a boat load to get a bunch of streaming of 8-10 show seasons. Regular tv gives you double the shows in a season. I'll pick and chose one streaming service and that's it for the month.
By the way, the NFL is rigged. From setting up Stafford at Detroit, Tyreek at KC, GB and McCarthy, to the Steelers making the playoffs all of a sudden, to the Super logo colors matching SF and Baltimore colors. Vegas owns the NFL.
Streaming is on to the 1-month and switch tactic. They're not going to let people binge watch all episodes of a show in a single month like they've been letting them do.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Streaming is on to the 1-month and switch tactic. They're not going to let people binge watch all episodes of a show in a single month like they've been letting them do.
Then I'll shut it down when they don't let me. But right now, they still allow it. Plus, you can always cancel after a month and then come back anyway. They'll lose money bigtime if they shut that down. Streaming isn't exactly killing it anyway. People are tiring of it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. Netflix is about $20 per month now and have cracked down on the password sharing. Peacock/Hulu/Paramount are all about $6/mo with commercials, double that if you want ad-free. Prime is nearly 150/yr now. Throw in a streamer like YTTV and you are nearly $150 bucks a month. There is not cord cutting for savings anymore.
There is if you're willing to get rid of live TV, which obviously includes live sports. I'm close to that, but it would be cool to still be able to watch some NFL on the local networks.

Reactions: Dawgg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
People will then do, and currently do, what they used to do when this is a concern- wait until the season is over and binge.

Netflix is still very much bought into dropping an entire season/series at once.
Others that also have a cable/sat channel have stayed with the weekly release, like HBO and Showtime.
Then others like Amazon, Hulu, and Peacock have some original series over the last few years that release weekly and other original series that drop and entire season/series at once.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don’t think I’ve watched an NFL game this season.
Same here, actually its been several seasons for me back to 2020 I believe. Sunday on the couch watching the Saints early and the Cowboys later was always my routine but since most all players became overpaid pre-Madonna** mercenaries I lost interest which is also whats happening w/ me and the NCAA as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Same here, actually its been several seasons for me back to 2020 I believe. Sunday on the couch watching the Saints early and the Cowboys later was always my routine but since most all players became overpaid pre-Madonna mercenaries I lost interest which is also whats happening w/ me and the NCAA as well
I like the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament. Lots of action and never have to worry about watching Mississippi State, and whether we're gonna be in it or not.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Can't you just get Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS over the air (plus a plethora of others on the sub channels)? Or are you too far away from the stations to get a signal? That's one drawback to digital television over analog - the signal just doesn't travel as far.
This is the right answer for network stuff. Even in Starkville I can get 19 channels over the air and in better quality than my inlaws get their cable from MaxxSuck

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I signed up for Paramount just to finish watching Halo after they had a free preview on Amazon Prime. It's only 2.99 for the first two months cancel anytime. If you are a Sci fi junkie like me Halo is binge watchable. New season starts next month.

But the streaming bidness is a huge cluster right now.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Can't you just get Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS over the air (plus a plethora of others on the sub channels)? Or are you too far away from the stations to get a signal? That's one drawback to digital television over analog - the signal just doesn't travel as far.
Too far away to pick them up with a standard antenna. I used to be able to pick them up with a 2-prong directional antenna hooked up to a powered amp/filter. But I had to reposition the antenna for each channel (towards the tower). I quickly reset up that setup a few weeks ago but couldn't get my new TV to pick up any signal. Not sure if that's a change to the tower or just a crappy aspect of an otherwise excellent TV.

ABC, CBS, and Peacock are set up so you can view sports without a "provider", at least in part. They want to show their ads to people that want to watch their shows. Fox does not. Provider-only interface.

Reactions: RocketDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
People will then do, and currently do, what they used to do when this is a concern- wait until the season is over and binge.

Netflix is still very much bought into dropping an entire season/series at once.
Others that also have a cable/sat channel have stayed with the weekly release, like HBO and Showtime.
Then others like Amazon, Hulu, and Peacock have some original series over the last few years that release weekly and other original series that drop and entire season/series at once.
Netflix on occaision will spit a season into 2 parts. The Witcher did this, and I think Stranger Things.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yeah, I’m really considering jumping back to directv. I’m shocked i typed that
I’ve had Directv for 20 years and haven’t left. We went down through the list of different streaming services and couldn’t find one that had what we wanted (none of them carry Bally Sports for one) so we just stayed. Their streaming service is good and you have the ability to use it on your devices like AppleTV even if you still have the dish and receivers. You can use it in rooms where you don’t have a receiver or just want to cut down on the number of receivers you have in your house.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
meh it's more overpaid a55holes slowly digging their graves

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’ve had Directv for 20 years and haven’t left. We went down through the list of different streaming services and couldn’t find one that had what we wanted (none of them carry Bally Sports for one) so we just stayed. Their streaming service is good and you have the ability to use it on your devices like AppleTV even if you still have the dish and receivers. You can use it in rooms where you don’t have a receiver or just want to cut down on the number of receivers you have in your house.
Bally’s, for Cardinals games, is the main reason. I think dtv is the only option for ballys.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I am currently looking for a way to cut out all cable, so I have to say I kind of like this. And Peacock is cheaper than Prime, and has other shows I watch. You can already stream NBC on there, and CBS on Paramount.

Only thing really left is figuring out ESPN/ABC and Fox. Of course I understand that this is the very beginning, and live sports won't be exclusively streamed for a while.
I like Peacock. They also stream all the live golf coverage that the Golf Channel carries. Which is a biggie for me. Supposedly ESPN will stream direct to the consumer in 2025. I cut the cord some time ago and I have been subscribing to Sling Orange for ESPN during the Fall. So there are ways to dump cable and get most of what you want. I love not having to deal with Comcast.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I like Peacock. They also stream all the live golf coverage that the Golf Channel carries. Which is a biggie for me. Supposedly ESPN will stream direct to the consumer in 2025. I cut the cord some time ago and I have been subscribing to Sling Orange for ESPN during the Fall. So there are ways to dump cable and get most of what you want. I love not having to deal with Comcast.
I’ve looked into Sling . I like to have it for baseball too, though I’m considering just streaming the radio for that, when I can’t go.

TilloDwg

Aug 25, 2012
Still no comparison for the Firestick we got from the place in Tupelo....around 100 bucks for equipment and activation, then a whole 20 bucks a month for every, show, movie, sporting event, and ppv in the world. Literally 12000+ channels.

I'm more pissed about the ridiculous Monday night playoff game again this year....ought to be 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Puts the winner of that game at a severe disadvantage.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I forgot the Bengals were recently in a Super Bowl. Seems like bizarro world. 🤣
Being a Steelers fan, for most of the last 22 years it was a given that I would mostly only have to really care how Baltimore did. The first 19 years after realignment in '02, the Steelers or Ravens won the division 15 of the 19 seasons, won 3 Super Bowls, and played in 4 SBs.

But then Cincy cranked it up these last couple years, won the division, and even went to a SB! And now the 17ing Browns are in the playoffs for 2 out of the last 4 seasons when the last time they were in the playoffs before then was 2002! The Browns? I cant take them also being not terrible!

Bizarro for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: GomJabbar and Dawgg

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
Still no comparison for the Firestick we got from the place in Tupelo....around 100 bucks for equipment and activation, then a whole 20 bucks a month for every, show, movie, sporting event, and ppv in the world. Literally 12000+ channels.

I'm more pissed about the ridiculous Monday night playoff game again this year....ought to be 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Puts the winner of that game at a severe disadvantage.
Where is this place?
Name?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I’m already paying for Hulu live Disney espn bundle, Netflix, Amazon, and HBO max. The whole reason I started streaming is to save money. I’m at the point it will be cheaper to go back to cable/direct.

17 buying peacock to watch. Even if it’s just 1 month.

Reactions: boatsandhoes

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I don't know if it's a conspiracy, sure is a good coincidence that all those things happened in one year.
desert flying GIF by South Park

Reactions: HammerOfTheDogs

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I read that a legislator from NY is threatening to 'look into' revoking the NFL's waiver the gvt gave to legally run a monopoly and negotiate broadcast rights as a league(vs team by team).
He said that either the NFL stop bleeding peoole dry by streaming a game on Peacock, or he will push to investigate.

The NBA, NHL, and MLB have regular season and post season games on paid platforms(cable, streaming).
The NFL has had regular season fames on paid platforms for years now(cable/sat and streaming Amazon).

But apparently this is too much.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Peacock offers a student discount I believe. All you parents tell your kids to sign up with their school email and get it for $2.99 one day. Then cancel. The game isn’t that entertaining so far.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
It’s so cold that a helmet to helmet hit broke a chunk out of Mahomes’ helmet. Legal hit but that’s cold to make the plastic that brittle.

IMG_4381.jpeg

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
When I cut Direct TV I lost my satellite in the motorhome. I figured that I could use the over the air antenna and get at least a couple of channels anywhere but I was wrong. We took a six week trip last fall and couldn’t get any channels at more places than places I could get channels. It has a good boosted antenna, I can get fifteen or so sitting in my driveway. We weren’t staying in the boondocks either.

alumnidawg

Apr 30, 2023

Ours from there will like randomly pause/glitch in the middle of a game. Like multiple times. Have y’all had that problem?

TilloDwg

Aug 25, 2012
Across from west main walmart. Believe they also have one in Saltillo now
2305 W Main in Tupelo....

"Cox Firesticks LLC is the only business in Mississippi to offer LEGALLY Unlocked Amazon Fire TV Sticks. Our company has been creating Unlocked streaming units since April 12th, 2014 when Amazon released its first unit. We can provide you legal software that will allow you access to over 1 million movies and tv shows as well as live tv. Units range from $85-$200 depending on features of the unit you select. We also offer a partnership with a Premium tv service that offers over 400+ live HD tv channels for $25 PER MONTH! Please feel free to reach out to us to get started today."

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
As far as I know, there is no trial membership you have to pay to stream Peacock.
Yeah, I was “hell no” I’m not paying for that ****** streaming service…but when my 13yo daughter said she would pay me to watch, I caved. I mean I pay $6+ for a can of Copenhagen. I never thought this girl would ever have any interest in football.
How it happened. iMO

1. T Swift probably started it.
2. The Chick Berrios dates is apparently a huge social media thing.
3. we watched Dolphins Hard knocks, which sold her. I have to say, back in the day, getting my wife to watch all the HBO Boxing lead ups, got her into it, and got is the PPVs.

Anyway, it wasn’t worth it…

• Haha
Reactions: kired

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So... 23 Million viewers across Peacock and local NBC. The total population of the KC and Miami metros combined are about 8 million, so even if 100% of households in those metros were tuned in to the game, that's 15 million viewers on Peacock. The local affiliates were obviously not 100%, so you could probably estimate a Peacock only audience of about 18-20 Million. This was an unmitigated success for NBC and means we're very likely going to see more streaming only content in the future.

Saturday’s Dolphins-Chiefs AFC Wild Card Game averaged 23.0 million viewers across Peacock and the NBC affiliates in Miami and Kansas City, per Nielsen fast-nationals — up 6% from Chargers-Jaguars on NBC last year (21.8 million across Nielsen and Adobe Analytics) and the most-streamed live event ever in the United States. In an unusual, perhaps even unprecedented move, NBC announced the numbers on-air during the Rams-Lions playoff game Sunday night.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login