What happened after 1991 with MSU vs LSU football?

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
the all-time record was relatively close at the end of 1991: LSU 48 wins MSU 34 wins. Did hiring JWS sell our soul to the devil? LSU just began dominating that game from thence forward. i went to a lot of those games up until about 2003-04 and we would show up and just fall apart.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
LSU made a ton of bad coaching hires. Then Saban showed up. Plus, they started stealing from children's hospitals etc. Saban organized that cluster17 of coonasses.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Under Sherrill, I always chalked it up to some teams just have your number. Jackie could not beat LSU when he was at A&M either. By the time JWS was out of the picture, Saban had turned LSU into a top tier program.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
the all-time record was relatively close at the end of 1991: LSU 48 wins MSU 34 wins. Did hiring JWS sell our soul to the devil? LSU just began dominating that game from thence forward. i went to a lot of those games up until about 2003-04 and we would show up and just fall apart.
Well over 50% of that time (2000 - present) has been since Saban woke the sleeping giant, and we’ve never really had a chance since then.

Besides that, they’ve always had way more talent than us, even when the W-L record didn’t reflect it due to awful coaching hires like Hallman and DiNardo. In 1993 and 1995-1997, they were just better than we were across the board. 1991 and 1999 we were better, and beat them in close games. 2000 I think we were a slightly better team, but refs 17ed us hard in the pre-replay era in a Baton Rouge night game, and we lost in OT.

The only real WTF years were 1992, 1994, and 1998, where we had better teams but still lost to them by fairly convincing margins. I think that was more of a Jackie lack of focus thing than anything else. Other than those 3 games, the series has gone about as you’d expect based on the talent gap. They are just another Alabama that we didn’t pull quite as many upsets on in the 90’s when they were still somewhat vulnerable.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Mississippi has always spread it's football talent too thin (more so since the mid 70's) while Louisiana has always concentrated theirs in one place. The only thing that's ever really held LSU back is LSU.
Yeah, I don’t know that either program necessarily did anything good or bad to cause the disparity. I think it was more a matter of one school having more money, support, and a grasp of an entire state of HS talent, and as soon as college football started to morph into the animal that it now is, it was inevitable that LSU would turn into power.

Now, there were definitely some years when LSU hasn’t been great, and we still got our butts whipped, and I don’t have an answer for that other than fear of the uniform. However, I think the separation makes perfect sense. Louisiana may not be rich, but it has 2x the GDP that MS does, and LSU basically gets it all while we have to share our pot

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Mississippi has always spread it's football talent too thin (more so since the mid 70's) while Louisiana has always concentrated theirs in one place. The only thing that's ever really held LSU back is LSU.
Exactly. Not only is it more concentrated, but there is twice as much of it in Louisiana

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The 2000’s are what they are simply because our program stunk and they had arguably the most talent in the country for most of that decade.

The 90’s are more puzzling because 90’s LSU largely stunk and we just couldn’t handle them for some reason. That was the one team Jackie couldn’t figure out. Even our win in ‘99 was by the skin of our teeth, and that was a 10-2 State against a 3-8 LSU.

Reactions: LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Saban bought talent from all over the country at MSU, LSU and Bummer. He set up the booster network first at each stop to establish funding. He could coach at any big name program with wealth boosters and win. LSU does get the best talent from LA, East Texas and Southern MS. It always made me sick to see all those coastal MS players going to LSU.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Saban bought talent from all over the country at MSU, LSU and Bummer. He set up the booster network first at each stop to establish funding. He could coach at any big name program with wealth boosters and win. LSU does get the best talent from LA, East Texas and Southern MS. It always made me sick to see all those coastal MS players going to LSU.
This AND for years i still get irate when there are so many people around Mississippi who have never paid for a college course anywhere will spend 2/3 of their paychecks to see and support an LSU game or an Alabama game.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
This AND for years i still get irate when there are so many people around Mississippi who have never paid for a college course anywhere will spend 2/3 of their paychecks to see and support an LSU game or an Alabama game.
I don't think it's as bad as it used to be but OM used to have a ton of "fans" who couldn't find Oxford with a map.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
LSU made a ton of bad coaching hires. Then Saban showed up. Plus, they started stealing from children's hospitals etc. Saban organized that cluster17 of coonasses.
Happened before Saban. Bill Arnsparger, Mike Archer, Curley Hallman, and Gerry Dinardo all had winning records over us since the mid-80s (and Dinardo owned us until 1999).

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Sherrill was 2-14 against LSU, and we played some pretty terrible LSU teams in the 90s that whipped us. Our SEC West champion team got beat by a 4-7 LSU team 41-6. In 1992, LSU went 2-9, but handled us 24-3. Just some inexplicable losses during those years.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think they beat us 7 straight with those bad hires from 92-98. At least a time or two when they had losing seasons. It was frustrating to live through.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Sherrill was 2-14 against LSU, and we played some pretty terrible LSU teams in the 90s that whipped us. Our SEC West champion team got beat by a 4-7 LSU team 41-6. In 1992, LSU went 2-9, but handled us 24-3. Just some inexplicable losses during those years.
Thank God recent results are better. I actually believe we can beat them Saturday. We have the defense to neutralize them and an OC that is used to going against more talented teams.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login