What has to occur this football season where you worry about Lebby?

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Just off the top of my head:
1. Right side o-linemen pulling left and left side o-linemen pulling right on the same play.
2. QB dropping back to pass with every receiver at the line blocking and nobody running a route.

Both of these things happened multiple times last year.

Sep 29, 2022
If he tries to force square pegs into round holes. The best offensive coaches are able to adapt their system to the strengths of their personnel, while others are totally married to their system and too proud/stubborn to adapt. See Moorhead, Joe. Lebby supposedly is more former than latter.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Ole Miss starting 6 and 0 (they will, very easy first 6 schedule) and we starting off 3 and 0 and then losing the remaining games other than UMass

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have no expectations. We have done this before in our football program; we have had success with coordinators in the past, but there is nothing to base our expectations on. I expect us to have a much different and successful offense. I just don't know what we're going to do on defense because we have so little.

I just hate we're having to start from scratch on the entire team.

Reactions: dorndawg

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Sloppy play. It was obvious in the first game last year there was a lot to clean up. Second game was no improvement. I knew it would be a long year.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not difficult to know if we have a functional football team or not. As far as on the field, I'm not as worried about Ws and Ls, I just want to see competence.

If you need this illustrated, it's pretty simple. Croom/Moorhead/Arnett = incompetence, from the word go. Mullen/Leach = competence, from the word go. Remember how we were always hoping for next year with Croom/Moorhead/Arnett? Have to get HIS QB in there, have to get HIS pieces, etc. Well, Mullen and Leach inherited rosters down on talent and immediately looked, at minimum, competent. Moorhead/Arnett inherited good rosters and immediately tanked. Croom inherited more talent than we want to admit, and was terrible. Like a -4 Coach Effect in 2004, seriously. Just plumb terrible. Bad discipline all the way around, players looked out of shape. Again....it's easy to see these things.

Your potential ultimately rises or falls with the talent you accumulate. But if you don't have coaching competence, it's a long damn ride. Coach Effect, as Dave Bartoo says.

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
if we don't start 4-0
I think you're right about that. If he starts 4-0, then you've got a chance to beat both Arkansas and UMass. That gets you to six wins right there with two wins in conference. If he does that and plays well in the Egg Bowl, then wins the Music City Bowl or whatever it will be then you've got 7 wins and a winning record in his first year as HC. I just don't think you'll be upset with that kind of campaign even if State shows competency in the losses.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Not worried about Lebby. I expect nothing but indignity, pain, and suffering.
And I do not anticipate enjoying the 2-4 wins we might have.

The real question is what's he have to do to make you excited about MSU football again?

Depressing just thinking about the level of futility we are likely to experience.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

The season is a hard reboot.

I’m not worrying about 2024. We’ll be bad.

Ask me again in a year about 2025.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
What if the offense actually shows real improvement AND he goes winless in conference? I think it is a possibility, but I think we beat Arkansas and/or Florida.
If the Offense shows real improvement and we still lose to Arky and Florida then that probably means the defense sucks. I want to see noticable improvement across the board. Of course it would be hard not to see improvement over last year.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I think you're right about that. If he starts 4-0, then you've got a chance to beat both Arkansas and UMass. That gets you to six wins right there with two wins in conference. If he does that and plays well in the Egg Bowl, then wins the Music City Bowl or whatever it will be then you've got 7 wins and a winning record in his first year as HC. I just don't think you'll be upset with that kind of campaign even if State shows competency in the losses.
We should expect 6-6. We just fired a coach for going 4-6 (probably would have gone 5-7). Our non-con record should be 4-0. We get Florida and Arkansas at home, who are both in shambles. Maybe we slip up in one of those games, maybe we pick up one we aren't expecting, but 6-6 sounds about right.

patdog

May 28, 2007
4-8 or worse. He’s not gonna have much to work with & the schedule is brutal.

Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
We should expect 6-6. We just fired a coach for going 4-6 (probably would have gone 5-7). Our non-con record should be 4-0. We get Florida and Arkansas at home, who are both in shambles. Maybe we slip up in one of those games, maybe we pick up one we aren't expecting, but 6-6 sounds about right.
Arkansas is a 6-6 team based on who they have added on the roster and the coaching staff, they will be improved. not a great team but quite a bit better than last year. Enos was a disaster.

Florida is about tired of Billy and his schedule this year is brutal. They look like a 5-7/6-6 team. that however doesnt Change the fact Florida has a lot of talent, more than we do on both sides of the ball.

id favor arkansas and florida right now over this team Lebby is putting on the field. are those two games winnable ? Of course but both are less than 50% IMO.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
He will be hard pressed to be worse than last year on offense. But I’m thinking Peter
Sirmon bad or worse on D. Like we lose 60-30 kinda bad …we have zero on D. Our two best d linemen have never been healthy and we have nothing behind them alr LB or DB Portal d recruiting was terrible….thankfully one daughter went to Bama and one goes to Texas. I can bandwagon my way to only pissed not fing miserable

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Honestly, win less than three games. I don't expect much at all this season.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm going to give him a lot of leeway this year, but even with that, any one of these things would still be rough to endure:
1. We lose to EKU.
2. We get embarrassed, like 20 point difference, by Arizona State.
3. We don't win a single conference game. Lose to Florida OR Arkansas, sure, but both? Oof.
4. We lose by more than a touchdown to Toledo.
5. We lose to UMass.
6. We don't score more than 3 in the Egg Bowl.
7. More than anything, I think if we roll into Austin averaging less than 20 pts/game, I'm going to have the most immaculate yard in the neighborhood by the time November rolls around.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If we don't make it to Atlanta, imma need a strongly worded email from salmon to right things.
If we lose to EKU, I want an apology for this extremely tough out of conference schedule. Stricklin probably still has that template somewhere.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
In classic State style we do the following -

an offense that can't put points on the board
a defense that can't keep points off the board

simple, no?

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog