What is the first Alabama win you remember?

What is the first Alabama win you remember?

• 1957 or earlier

• 1996-2000 Sherrill winning 4 out of 5

• 2006-2007 Croom winning streak

• I don't remember Mississippi State ever beating Alabama.

Results are only viewable after voting.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The discussion about Alabama not being a permanent opponent after SEC expansion got me thinking about the series.

When I was a kid, we beat Alabama for the first time in 16 years (longer than my life). From my perspective, 16 years was a ridiculous amount of time. It might as well have been 100 years.

Somehow I missed until now that we have matched that losing streak (15 in a row).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Same. I didn't think we'd ever beat them after 1992 and 1994. Then it came from nowhere in 1996 when we weren't very good.

Kind of similar now, with the only real close games we've played with them being 2014 and 2017.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Same. I didn't think we'd ever beat them after 1992 and 1994. Then it came from nowhere in 1996 when we weren't very good.

Kind of similar now, with the only real close games we've played with them being 2014 and 2017.
Yea, we beat bama w/ Derrick Tate & Michael Henig as QB's....WTH?

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
There are about a half dozen games we could have and should have won.
The game where their defense used a fake count to get us a false start penalty, when were inside their 5 driving for a winning TD, still eats at my craw. 91, I believe.
Refs giving them a bogus first down on a fumble out of bounds in 81 that led to their only touchdown.
and of course Dum Mufflin choking twice when we had the teams that could beat Bama.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The discussion about Alabama not being a permanent opponent after SEC expansion got me thinking about the series.

When I was a kid, we beat Alabama for the first time in 16 years (longer than my life). From my perspective, 16 years was a ridiculous amount of time. It might as well have been 100 years.

Somehow I missed until now that we have matched that losing streak (15 in a row).
1980. It's the game that made me fall in love with MSU football as a kid.

Awesome in the moment.....living hell for a lot of the rest of it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
2014 kills worse than any. We lost the Heisman and the SEC West that day. And then obviously the chance of the overall SEC and playoff berth. And that Bama team wasn't as elite as normal.

And it was just another day to them.

Reactions: jwbigcreek

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
It had to be 1980 for me because that was the first time we beat them after I was born. I was 20 years old at the time.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm the second person seen rushing the field at the end of the game in 1980 on the Emory Bellard show running behind my Dad.

Reactions: hdogg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Has anyone told Gen Z about SixPack?

ETA: nm, they have made a showing.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We should’ve beat them in 2017 but Dan started coaching scared in the fourth quarter. Tied 24-24 and Bama misses a field goal with about 1:30 left. We’ve got all the momentum to try and take it down the field and score. Dan calls two running plays and a shovel pass, which get nowhere. Bama uses their timeouts and gets the ball back with about a minute left and of course drive down and score. Such a bitter defeat.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
2000, I was 7 years old. I believe that’s the only time I’ve ever seen us beat Bama in person, I was not at either of the Croom wins.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018

In 1980 I was 12 and I listed to it over the radio. I can still remember every detail of where I was that day like it was yesterday.
1980 kinda spoiled me because the US Hockey team beat the Russians to win the gold medal that year in Lade Placid and Miss Mississippi (Cheryl Prewitt) won Miss America all in that year. After it took another 16 years to beat Bama again I grew to realize things wouldn't go my way like it did back in 1980.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
1980 I was working, hanging aluminum siding with my boss, one of those Monroe County Ole Miss/Alabama fans. It only makes sense if you have lived there and know what I'm talking about. I hate those people. I almost fell off the roof when we recovered the fumble to seal it. He just let me go party because I wouldn't be worth a crap the rest of the evening. He absolutely could not believe Alabama had lost. I went to celebrate Tupelo that night, and half the people around the club were Bama fans and acted as if we had shot them.

Air Raid 2.0

Nov 4, 2022
1980 Don Jacobs is my friend. In my wedding. Bama fans rode him hard. He fumbled but was short on 4th and goal.

jwbigcreek

Feb 26, 2008
96' Didn't a skydiver almost die flying in pre-game?
Yep. I got into the stadium a little late & missed it. But there's a video of it somewhere. Looked terrible. I was going back to sleep at ex inlaws that night but my bammer friends that came had to drive back to Huntsville. Think they got home around 4 AM.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
1980 for me. I was 26 at the time driving a Mazda RX7. That was a fun car. I remember driving from the area and everyone was going ape **** along the way honking their horns at the Bama fans. They were number 1 so it was a special day.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Funny, I'm seeing/answering this as I stand in line at CFA Tuscaloosa - on my way back from V'burg.

"What is the 1st Alabama win you remember?"

Sugar Bowl January 1, 1979....vs Penn State while shooting pool with Mickey & Scottie Pinson in Silver City.

1st STATE win over Alabama I remember was 1980.

Last edited:

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
November 1st, 1980. One of the best days of my life.
In 1981, we were inside the 5, going in, and got a motion penalty, imagine that, at BAMA.
Would have won that one. It was at the end of the game.
We had a closed circuit viewing, in the HUMP.

Last edited:

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I remember the 1980 win, with a but..

I was 7 and And admit i was not there. But my parents were! And I vividly remember them coming home, the happiest I had ever seen them. They were still ringing cowbells Somein the house. Babysitter laughed. I wasn't there but it was aw.

Admit

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Fyi, my scattered reply is because this site sux with a samsung phone an on3 now

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yep. I got into the stadium a little late & missed it. But there's a video of it somewhere. Looked terrible. I was going back to sleep at ex inlaws that night but my bammer friends that came had to drive back to Huntsville. Think they got home around 4 AM.
I was there. It was way too windy. It didn't look very good. The game was great. After the game, I went on the field with everyone else and gave my cowbell to one of the offensive linemen so he would remember the game. I did the same thing when we beat Arkansas in 1998, except it was a defensive lineman. He gave me one of his gloves. I used to have one of his gloves and my son caught one of the wristbands that Scott Westerfield threw to the crowd. My mother-in-law actually lived next-door to Lynn Amedee the OC and he got Westerfield to sign it, but... I lost them both after so many moves. If you look at the MSU yearbook with pictures from that game, there's a photo showing him walking off the field ringing that cowbell. I would be surprised if both players still didn't have those cowbells to remind them of that game.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
1980 Don Jacobs is my friend. In my wedding. Bama fans rode him hard. He fumbled but was short on 4th and goal.
1999 playing golf at Riverchase CC in Bham and end up playing with a couple of guys and their guest - Don Jacobs.
They introduce themselves and after a couple of holes I ask Don how about that MS State game back in 1980?!?!
They kinda thought it was funny but ol Donnie boy did not. He didn’t say much at all to me the rest of the day and I was fine with that.
And I beat him by a few strokes as well so State got him twice!

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
2014 kills worse than any. We lost the Heisman and the SEC West that day. And then obviously the chance of the overall SEC and playoff berth. And that Bama team wasn't as elite as normal.

And it was just another day to them.
I was there that day, with my brother and my son, and I thought we were going to do it in the fourth quarter.
It was a dagger to the heart, and it will be the last time I enter Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
1980 I was working, hanging aluminum siding with my boss, one of those Monroe County Ole Miss/Alabama fans. It only makes sense if you have lived there and know what I'm talking about. I hate those people. I almost fell off the roof when we recovered the fumble to seal it. He just let me go party because I wouldn't be worth a crap the rest of the evening. He absolutely could not believe Alabama had lost. I went to celebrate Tupelo that night, and half the people around the club were Bama fans and acted as if we had shot them.
There was no fumble at the end, the line judge saw the nose guard pop the ball outta Kent's hand pre-snap. The game was over. I didn't know this until I bumped into Kent's brother Maury the next season at Davis Wade who told me. If you watch the replay, you can see the refs showed no effort to see the "recovery" and are basically exiting the field while the huge pile of humanity was still fighting for the ball.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was there that day, with my brother and my son, and I thought we were going to do it in the fourth quarter.
It was a dagger to the heart, and it will be the last time I enter Bryant-Denny Stadium.
As much as many say that the Mullen Era was the greatest era of MSU football, damn it came with some true daggers. 2009 had the LSU loss, 2010 brought the Cam drama, 2011 goal line stand, 2012 we believe, 2013 building to 2014 only to be dashed by Bama, 2015 brought the LSU loss and Ole Miss rise, 2016-2017 ended with Bama loss and Fitz' ankle.

He brought some good times but much of it will remembered as 'what could have been'. Guess you can't look at it that way, though. The reason so many of those were actual daggers is because he built us up in the first place.

I just don't remember the Alabama 1999 loss hurting as bad.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
As much as many say that the Mullen Era was the greatest era of MSU football, damn it came with some true daggers. 2009 had the LSU loss, 2010 brought the Cam drama, 2011 goal line stand, 2012 we believe, 2013 building to 2014 only to be dashed by Bama, 2015 brought the LSU loss and Ole Miss rise, 2016-2017 ended with Bama loss and Fitz' ankle.
Ole Miss rise started as soon as Freeze came to Oxford. Beat us in 2012. In 2013, Dak Prescott telling Mullen to put him in and our D won that game. Mullen had given up. He was afraid of Hugh Freeze and wanted out of Starkville, because he knew Freeze was a better coach, motivator, and recruiter --- particularly with the OM Network willing and ready to go the extra mile.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Mullen had given up. He was afraid of Hugh Freeze and wanted out of Starkville, because he knew Freeze was a better coach, motivator, and recruiter --- particularly with the OM Network willing and ready to go the extra mile.
Well, I can’t really disagree BUT I would like to see the man get a rematch vs Freeze.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
1980... i was 10. my best friend ,who lived down the street brother played for State. i was playing football in the backyard and one of the other kids came running up and down the street yelling that we won. then we were all running up and down the street yelling "State beat alabama, State beat alabama"

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
In 1981, we were inside the 5, going in, and got a motion penalty, imagine that, at BAMA.
Would have won that one. It was at the end of the game.
We had a closed circuit viewing, in the HUMP.
Yes, I was in Tuscaloosa that day. My wife said she would never go to a game with me in Tuscaloosa again. ( I didn’t handle it very well ) . Still married and still haven’t even back to Tuscaloosa. Number one rule for being married 46 years, don’t go to games in Oxford or Tuscaloosa. That is all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login