What is the worst fantasy football league you've ever played in?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
One of my business partners invited to me join his league, so I did...

It's a 20 team, NO PPR league with a 10 man bench.

The best part is that it was autodraft only. You could only set positional priority. So I set up RB #1 and WR#2 and so on.

I had the #1 overall pick and the cpu gives me Jonathan Taylor. He's been banged up, but I'm not mad at the pick. Makes perfect sense.

For my 2nd round pick, the draft gods give me Nyheim Hines. Taylor's backup. I guess since I had RB prioritized, that what I got. So my #2 pick is the backup to my #1. FML.

To make matters worse, the talent is spread so thin, you have to start questionable and doubtful players. Every team is littered with players scoring 0 points. And it's not all the fault of poor roster mgmt, there's simply no one left to start.

I have 4 players on my team that are rostered by less than 1% of the fantasy owners. I'm forced to start 3 players that are started by less than 40% of teams. It's awful. Instead of picking who's going to have a breakout game, you have to figure out who the hell is going to get snaps.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
No idea why people set up FFL’s like that. Its more or less just like buying a lottery ticket when you join, but it seems people do it all the time. That type of set up you mention is pure luck of the draw as to which team has a scrub WR turn in a 1 catch for 8 yards and a TD line….that will literally win you a week. You can also have the opposite problem where there are too few teams / players, and its just luck of the draw as to which group of superstars goes off the most. In neither case are you spending more than 30 seconds per week actually checking your roster, evaluating trade possibilities, streaming options, or what have you.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The one I won and never got paid. I moved away mid season. Never got got my money after winning. Favorite part is they asked me to join the league again the next year.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
I joined an existing league one time. My first draft the commissioner set the draft order as previous year's standings. He won the league and got first pick but I didn't think anything of it. The first season I am in the league I get second. The commissioner is second to last and his good friend was in last place. The draft order for the next season was set as the inverse of the standings.

I don't care either way about how you choose draft order but it better be consistent.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Man, that sounds awful. People can recover from a messy draft, but not when there’s a 10-man bench spread across 20 teams. I’ve never completely quit on a league, but that would have me considering it

The worst one for me was my one and only attempt at NBA fantasy, and things started out great. It was a bunch of high school friends and spouses doing it, so we met up at Huey’s to do a live draft over beers. Fast forward to a month later, and one guy gets inexplicably pissed about waiver rules, so he just releases his entire roster to the masses. We somehow got through that and then another month later, another dude gives up and trades 3-4 studs to his brother for some scrubs. I can’t even remember how it made it through the league vote, but this is the kinda stuff that really pisses me off. That is, when things aren’t going well for somebody 6 weeks into the season, so they just 17 it up for everybody

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Oh yeah, had that crap too. One league the commissioner’s wife wanted to play. He changed the rules twice during the season to accommodate her injuries and then he prevented a trade I was making because I was playing her the next game. That’s the last time I played FF.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Man, that sounds awful. People can recover from a messy draft, but not when there’s a 10-man bench spread across 20 teams. I’ve never completely quit on a league, but that would have me considering it

Yeah, I did some quick math on that. That’s an overall number of 380 rostered players, assuming standard roster positions.

As commissioner of my office league, I had to reset the league roster sizes to account for adding two new teams (to go from 12 to 14). Did some research and found that there are, in any given time, a MAX of about 200 players worth rostering at any time, with about 20 or so one-week streamers that fluctuate from week to week. So I set our rosters to 5 bench spots (plus one IR). That yielded 196 roster players, plus 14 extra for injured players. The league mentioned above has almost double the number of players that should ever be rostered for FF, let alone put into a starting lineup at any point. Just ridiculous.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We do ours using one of those draft lottery programs. The worst team from the previous years has the most chances etc.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login