What is up with Entergy?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The amount of time it's taking to restore power seems abnormal. My parents have been without power since early Friday AM. Is it just too many homes and the weather hasn't cooperated?

Reactions: CMSMITHIII1959

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
The amount of time it's taking to restore power seems abnormal. My parents have been without power since early Friday AM. Is it just too many homes and the weather hasn't cooperated?
If you can figure out what has happened to Entergy please share it with the board. From my experience, everything now runs thru 17n New Orleans. You can’t get any local people who know s h i +. They have become an even worse example of corporate welfare monopoly than ever.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
So my neighborhood is split. About 1/4 is on enetergy, the rest are Yazoo valley. Enetergy customers are running generators and mad at the rest of the neighborhood because we have power.

Last edited:

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
This is correct. Go look at their push for being path to a premier utility and look what it's about. People are being hired that have no idea what they are doing for the sake of esg scores. They sub out everything because they have no one that knows how to complete the work anymore. The people with all the knowledge retired in the last 5 years and Entergy just thought they could hire anyone to replace them. There is also no personal responsibility/consequences if someone is bad at their job. Entergy doesn't care about residential customers anymore, they only care about industrial customers. Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: SixtonPackerish

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Certainly seems abnormal to me. My issue is the lack of communication.

Their outage map is usually helpful, but they've been intentional in not giving estimated repair times, which is now understandable with the long delays.

What's not understandable is not letting people know that multiple day outages are likely so they can make plans for living and food storage.

This is not typical when we're not dealing with impassable roads due to winter weather.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Entergy doesn't care about residential customers anymore, they only care about industrial customers. Sorry for the rant.

Well, if this is true then this is a place where government intervention is actually vital. Lives are lost when power to residences is not available for extended periods. Especially in high or low temp periods.

If this is happening because of incompetent management, they need to answer for it. They are a public utility supplying an essential service.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
As the storms were coming through last night I was praying that a tree didn't hit a line somewhere near me. Figured it would be days if it did. I was fortunate.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I posted this yesterday. I personally don't think they spent the money to mitigate storm damage that they should have in the first place. These were some serious thunderstorms but what the hell's gonna happen if we have an big tornado, severe ice storm or another Katrina.

And while we're on the subject my neighborhood lost about half our water pressure late one afternoon. I called Bear Creek's after hours number and and young lady answered and asked me enough questions to get me admitted to a hospital, the last question was "now what zip code are you in ?" .

Reactions: GomJabbar

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My take is that while this is not a record number of customers, there are a lot more spread out places that have to be fixed, large trees down, poles snapped, etc. Storms less strong than a tornado except in a few instances, but very wide wrecked a lot of stuff. Combine that with a round or two coming through daily that creates more outages and keeps them off the repairs until those clear. Typically we see a point event and recover. One lineman I know has eaten one meal at home the last 12 days.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I saw a graphic last week showing Entergy has either purposefully cut or simply lost 2,500 employees in the 3 years. We have family in NE Jackson who’ve been out since Thursday night… and it ain’t like they live out in the sticks.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Certainly seems abnormal to me. My issue is the lack of communication.

Their outage map is usually helpful, but they've been intentional in not giving estimated repair times, which is now understandable with the long delays.

What's not understandable is not letting people know that multiple day outages are likely so they can make plans for living and food storage.

This is not typical when we're not dealing with impassable roads due to winter weather.
This is what pisses me off most, and what the pSC needs to look into. I can understand that when 120,000 lose power & you have dangerous storms moving through every day, it’s going ti take a while. Big the communication was worse than non-existent. They intentionally tried to hide the status from us. Didn’t even let us see the outage map for 2 days. Then last night, my house suddenly goes from not even an estimate of when power might be restored to “Congratulations, you have power.”

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
My take is that while this is not a record number of customers, there are a lot more spread out places that have to be fixed, large trees down, poles snapped, etc. Storms less strong than a tornado except in a few instances, but very wide wrecked a lot of stuff. Combine that with a round or two coming through daily that creates more outages and keeps them off the repairs until those clear. Typically we see a point event and recover. One lineman I know has eaten one meal at home the last 12 days.

You're probably right and I know those lineman work their asses off in dangerous situations.

But they should be clearly communicating this to their customers in as many places as possible. We shouldn't be having to guess what's going on.

Reactions: J-Dawg and patdog

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
I was told several larger transmission lines damaged, along with reoccurring storms knocking out restored areas, it's been rough. Had one power company friend tell me the damage is second only to Katrina.
All the transmission lines are back up. There was only 1 or 2 lines in very rural areas that caused outages. All the outages in the Jackson metro area were caused by distribution

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Well, if this is true then this is a place where government intervention is actually vital. Lives are lost when power to residences is not available for extended periods. Especially in high or low temp periods.

If this is happening because of incompetent management, they need to answer for it. They are a public utility supplying an essential service.
This would probably be the right thing… or at the very least some sort of inquiry into what caused the issue with power being off so long and how entergy will not allow that to happen in the future. And then make those findings public.

But what will happen is someone’s campaign fund will receive a nice donation from entergy or their lobbying firm and if there are real operational issues at entergy the public will never be informed.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Got this from a buddy of mine...

This isn’t typical severe thunderstorm recovery. This is hurricane level damage with all parts of our service territory being hit at some point over the last week. Not just trees on lines and damaged poles but also damaged and broken transformers that have to be replaced and repaired. Culminating in the Friday morning round in the metro area Entergy had around 100,000 without service.

Unlike a hurricane, the recovery effort keeps having to start and stop when another round of storms rolls in because we have to pull damage scouts, line and vegetation crews back in until it finishes rolling through.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
If you can figure out what has happened to Entergy please share it with the board. From my experience, everything now runs thru 17n New Orleans. You can’t get any local people who know s h i +. They have become an even worse example of corporate welfare monopoly than ever.
Just a reminder, it isn't government that 17n sucks at everything. It is always the people.

Reactions: PRAVan1996

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You're probably right and I know those lineman work their asses off in dangerous situations.

But they should be clearly communicating this to their customers in as many places as possible. We shouldn't be having to guess what's going on.
Their initial outage map was detailed, but when they switched to the generic map with no street addresses is when I think they hit the oh **** moment of it being so widespread that they couldn't even get accurate damage assessment done to have the data to communicate.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Entergy and my power was only out until 11AM Friday morning, however, I've had extended family staying with me until late last night when they finally got power, so not completely unscathed...

ETA: I'm also consistently amazed at how quickly they are able to unwind all the mess and get power back on. It's not a trivial matter.

Reactions: She Mate Me

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I was told several larger transmission lines damaged, along with reoccurring storms knocking out restored areas, it's been rough. Had one power company friend tell me the damage is second only to Katrina.
Not arguing about the damage but if was that bad did they call in crews from other areas as the normally do ? I haven't seen any out of state power company trucks.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not arguing about the damage but if was that bad did they call in crews from other areas as the normally do ? I haven't seen any out of state power company trucks.
I bet that is another issue. When a Katrina rolls in, trucks from all over are staged and ready to come assist. This was "just thunderstorms", and is a very odd weather pattern. I saw some weather guy name the pattern we are in and I've never heard of it in my 50+ years on earth.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Supposedly they brought in crews from Louisiana by Saturday. And I’m guessing maybe neighboring states had their own outages to deal with?

Feb 25, 2018
I never saw an entergy truck in the madison/gluckstadt area. All I see is the work being contracted out to different companies, which makes sense with such a large portion of the state being hit on multiple days. I noticed in gluckstadt a line/pole had fallen on a natural gas relay station, which probably added to the extended outage in that area.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
1687183799863.png

That's about 35K homes without power. 1200 lineman working around the clock. Need lineman from Louisiana pulled in but the governor hasn't asked for federal funding.

That red area from Jackson to Vicksburg is worse than Katrina. Blocked roads. It will be a month of no service. And no emergency vehicles. In 105 heat index. Elderly will die.

Maybe MEMA is just waking up and realizing this? Crazy that this isn't a federal disaster area. Just unreal.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Y’all lucky. I live in Marshall, tx. They telling us a minimum of 2 weeks with no power.
When the tornado hit us a couple of weeks ago in Monroe county Ms it wiped out all the main lines. About day three a guy from the electric company showed up and said it would be two weeks, get prepared, and get a generator. I had two generators so I was ok, it wasn’t hot so we could sleep with the windows open. We would drive to my brothers every night and take a shower. The day after the visit from the electric company a crew showed up in my driveway, set a new pole and had our power on in an hour.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The rural areas did. I would assume Entergy did. Probably contractors as well.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Time to start looking into a natural gas standby generator folks.
I’m debating now between a LPG generator or a three point hitch PTO generator. The stand alone generator is more convenient but the PTO generator is about a third of the cost.

msubrave

Nov 17, 2015
Sounds like your parents need to ask their neighbor with a generator powering the pool if they can run an extension cord...

Reactions: dawgstudent

msubrave

Nov 17, 2015
Henry road had a tree take down a power line. Entergy says they can't do anything until the tree is removed and the county says they can't remove the tree until the lines are fixed.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Looks like a certain comment got deleted, and I get it. It will cause this thread to become political, but it’s the truth.
Those 3 letters that I won’t mention. It’s a problem nationwide. And it’s the consumer that suffers.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m debating now between a LPG generator or a three point hitch PTO generator. The stand alone generator is more convenient but the PTO generator is about a third of the cost.
Surely the LPG generator is more efficient? Unless you have farm diesel to run the tractor, then it might be a no brainer.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Looks like a certain comment got deleted, and I get it. It will cause this thread to become political, but it’s the truth.
Those 3 letters that I won’t mention. It’s a problem nationwide. And it’s the consumer that suffers.

STD??

Reactions: 57stratdawg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Call the CEO. He's an MSU alum*****

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login