What is up with Entergy?...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We looked at it and basically determined that if we took the money a whole house generator would cost, we could probably invest that money and every time we actually had a significant power outage we could take decent vacation until the power came back on and never have to touch the principal. That said, all we really to keep it from being miserable is a generator that can run a window unit and a coffee maker. We have a gas hot water heater, gas stove, and a grill obviously. Sucks to have a freezer full of meat thaw out, but there are worse things than hanging out and cooking out and being hot. As long as I have AC to sleep in and can wake up to hot coffee, I'm good.

That said, I'm not on Entergy's service or in the country. If we keep loading up our grid with enough solar to make it unreliable, the calculations on that will change. I would do the whole house generator with an underground tank if it were an option if I were in California or even Texas. If underground tank is not an option, I'd at least want dual fuel.
Good critical thinking here. If your power is only out once per year for more than a couple of hours, then $10k for a whole house (plus maintenance, etc.), seems like a very poor investment. Now if you live in a rural area (or coast) in your forever home it may make sense. My mom likely lives in a more rural are than anyone on this board and her power rarely stays off more than a day

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Good critical thinking here. If your power is only out once per year for more than a couple of hours, then $10k for s house (plus maintenance, etc.), seems like a very poor investment. Now if you live in a rural area (or coast) in your forever home it may make sense. My mom likely lives in a more rural are than anyone on this board and her power rarely stays off more than a day.
I’ve been in my house for 25 years. The only times my power has been off for 24 hours were Katrina and last weekend. If you want a generator for those very few times, get one. But it’d be cheaper in the long run to eat the cost of food going bad & get a hotel for the times the power is out.

Reactions: AROB44 and onewoof

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Those things work really well when you get baseball-sized hail.
Out here in the DeeEffDub, I saw a neighbor with half (8) of his panels busted beyond repair with the golf ball-to-baseball sized hail we got last week. Very nice art-deco impact patterns, but they sure don't let you get that 20% efficiency you paid all that $$$ for.

Reactions: Drebin
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login