What next?

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
We've wiffed on Malik Clark. Seems we will not be getting Jared Smith. We at once held big leads for both of these prospects only to be overtaken by programs with better tradition and deeper pockets (shocker) Unless Shane can pull off some miracles this year, I don't see him lasting beyond this year. I know Spurrier had great success for 4-5 years here but that was before NIL became a huge thing. Now you have to kiss all of these athletes tails 24/7, 365 in order to get them to play and stay with your program. We know Ray Tanner is not a competent AD and cannot make a great football hire if his life depended upon it, so if he let Beamer go, who'd even want to come here? No proven coach would want to come here. Surely you'd have to start with a lower ranked school head coach or an offensive coordinator at a school before you'd even dream of offering a bigger fish. We are in the toughest conference and the best conference but there isn't much hope for us moving forward I'm afraid. That's not doom and gloom. That's just the facts.

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
There's always the portal! Recruiting has changed drastically.
I get that and unless you're like and Ole Piss who get snag all the past 4 and 5 star recruits, we are lucky to get a past 4 star recruit and fill out the rest with diamonds in the rough like a Juice Wells who overperforms and then leaves us for an Ole Piss. We can only hope to recruit 3 stars, coach them up, hope they overperform and then stay with us. If they overperform, then you have the risk of bigger programs that come to poach them like Georgia, Ole Piss, Oregon, and so forth. We become a feeder program sadly.

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
That's the problem right there.
We don't have the right coaches to coach them up. We can never attract the right coaches because we don't ever pony up the money to do so because we are never serious about football. We should have never pissed off Darla Moore either. That was a big mistake.

Reactions: Mountain guy

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
We've wiffed on Malik Clark. Seems we will not be getting Jared Smith. We at once held big leads for both of these prospects only to be overtaken by programs with better tradition and deeper pockets (shocker)
To say we "wiffed" on these two recruits is implying that we committed some king of error(s). Which I don't believe is the case.
As you stated we were overtaken by programs with better bloodlines and deeper pockets. There is a very little to nothing we can do about those two components at this time.
The Beamer staff will have to somehow convince prospects on the "part of the foundation for a better product". Not an easy sell

Reactions: vacock

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
To say we "wiffed" on these two recruits is implying that we committed some king of error(s). Which I don't believe is the case.
As you stated we were overtaken by programs with better bloodlines and deeper pockets. There is a very little to nothing we can do about those two components at this time.
The Beamer staff will have to somehow convince prospects on the "part of the foundation for a better product". Not an easy sell
And I get that. But then why would a Dylan Stewart and a Nyck Harbor want to come here? They most certainly could have went ANYWHERE but they believed in something here. Not saying they will stay here all 2,3, or even 4 years but they chose us and we didn't have a good history or bloodlines.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

And I get that. But then why would a Dylan Stewart and a Nyck Harbor want to come here? They most certainly could have went ANYWHERE but they believed in something here. Not saying they will stay here all 2,3, or even 4 years but they chose us and we didn't have a good history or bloodlines.
I may have answered that in my original post.

Reactions: TheRev

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
We've wiffed on Malik Clark. Seems we will not be getting Jared Smith. We at once held big leads for both of these prospects only to be overtaken by programs with better tradition and deeper pockets (shocker) Unless Shane can pull off some miracles this year, I don't see him lasting beyond this year. I know Spurrier had great success for 4-5 years here but that was before NIL became a huge thing. Now you have to kiss all of these athletes tails 24/7, 365 in order to get them to play and stay with your program. We know Ray Tanner is not a competent AD and cannot make a great football hire if his life depended upon it, so if he let Beamer go, who'd even want to come here? No proven coach would want to come here. Surely you'd have to start with a lower ranked school head coach or an offensive coordinator at a school before you'd even dream of offering a bigger fish. We are in the toughest conference and the best conference but there isn't much hope for us moving forward I'm afraid. That's not doom and gloom. That's just the facts.
Recruiting news these days is total bs. Kids are using offers from teams like ours as leverage against schools that will pay them more money. It’s all a game and we’re not in it. It’s back to the old days for us, prior to cell phones and laptops. Just get Kornblut to tell us who shows up at camp.

Reactions: gamecock stock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
You believe RT is incompetent, and while you are entitled to that opinion, please don't foist it on everyone.

The AD is responsible for all varsity sports USC sponsors, not just ones you apparently like.

Reactions: 3USC1801

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
We don't have the right coaches to coach them up. We can never attract the right coaches because we don't ever pony up the money to do so because we are never serious about football. We should have never pissed off Darla Moore either. That was a big mistake.
We should be serious about all sports USC sponsors....

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I say keep Beamer indefinitely and just go for the occasional entertaining game. He's a good, likeable guy. There's no use changing coaches in our situation. We need rich boosters and corporate sponsors. We need billionaires and conglomerates supporting us.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I say keep Beamer indefinitely and just go for the occasional entertaining game. He's a good, likeable guy. There's no use changing coaches in our situation. We need rich boosters and corporate sponsors. We need billionaires and conglomerates supporting us.
Then we should have kept Muschamp.

Reactions: bayrooster

01Fatboy

Joined May 23, 2009
Jan 24, 2022
well, I'm trying to understand why you brought it up and then responded with this

Reactions: scbeachboy

scbeachboy

Feb 22, 2022
Mazeo Bennett committed to Tennessee...WIFF...until it wasn't a wiff...I'll wait till ink is on paper...things change with these young kids...Beamer ain't going anywhere no matter what happens this year...25 will be his do or die year.

Reactions: Tngamecock

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Why? Muschamp wasn't nearly as likeable and obviously didn't want to be here.
I was responding to a post that suggested that we keep coaches indefinitely because we have no billionare benefactors. I'm glad you like Beamer. I'm sure he was the one you wanted. I'm a Gamecock fan, not a Beamer fan. I think he's cringe. I don't think he's a good coach. When we reach the point of expecting to win 2 games a year how popular will he be? But sure, keep him indefinitely. It doesn't matter anymore.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
I was responding to a post that suggested that we keep coaches indefinitely because we have no billionare benefactors. I'm glad you like Beamer. I'm sure he was the one you wanted. I'm a Gamecock fan, not a Beamer fan. I think he's cringe. I don't think he's a good coach. When we reach the point of expecting to win 2 games a year how popular will he be? But sure, keep him indefinitely. It doesn't matter anymore.
Haven't suggested that Beamer was a great coach or even my choice. I am suggesting it's time to try something different from the 5-year rotation and give him time to develop into a great coach. If he fails, we will still be in the same place we've been the last few centuries. Then we can try something else, like maybe a 2-year coaching rotation.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

I have advocated giving him a full decade. Just to try something different and see what happens. We know the "new coach every 5-6 years" approach doesn't work. Over 130+ years of football, we have proved to be equally bust-proof and boom-proof. We have never had any sustained success or total failure. We've mostly always fluctuated around mediocre, with a few blips up to being really good and a few blips down to be really, really awful, but we always regress to our mean.

Give Beamer a full decade. Best case scenario, the continuity and longevity leads to him building something. Worst case scenario we most likely end up being what we have always been and we start over where we always have, replacing a failed coach.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I have advocated giving him a full decade. Just to try something different and see what happens. We know the "new coach every 5-6 years" approach doesn't work. Over 130+ years of football, we have proved to be equally bust-proof and boom-proof. We have never had any sustained success or total failure. We've mostly always fluctuated around mediocre, with a few blips up to being really good and a few blips down to be really, really awful, but we always regress to our mean.

Give Beamer a full decade. Best case scenario, the continuity and longevity leads to him building something. Worst case scenario we most likely end up being what we have always been and we start over where we always have, replacing a failed coach.
Right, and announce it in advance, even give him the contract. Let people know we ain't pikers on this. Blow Finebaum's head up.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Right, and announce it in advance, even give him the contract. Let people know we ain't pikers on this. Blow Finebaum's head up.

Spurrier's tenure is somewhat instructive on this point. He was fully mediocre here though 5 years, only posting one season with a winning record in conference play. He didn't really break through until Year 7.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Spurrier's tenure is somewhat instructive on this point. He was fully mediocre here though 5 years, only posting one season with a winning record in conference play. He didn't really break through until Year 7.
But let's not suggest that Beamer could duplicate Spurrier, a Hall-of-Fame coach who won league championships in two conferences. We have to maintain a semblance of credibility. Let's accept that we are going for occasional entertainment value and not serious relevancy.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
But let's not suggest that Beamer could duplicate Spurrier, a Hall-of-Fame coach who won league championships in two conferences. We have to maintain a semblance of credibility. Let's accept that we are going for occasional entertainment value and not serious relevancy.
Well, no, certainly not. Just indicative that success might take a little more time to come to fruition here. If it took Spurrier 7 years, why would we expect anyone else to do it more quickly? Sure we can keep hacking away with the "new coach every 5-6 years" approach and hope we eventually just luck out and strike gold. So far, we have not.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Well, no, certainly not. Just indicative that success might take a little more time to come to fruition here. If it took Spurrier 7 years, why would we expect anyone else to do it more quickly?
Don't even hint at any more than occasional flash-in-the-pan success. We'll make our money with fewer seats at higher prices and incredible television revenues, plus contributions that come in from people who are either extremely stupid or easily gratified. Well, I almost forgot apparel sales.

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
And that was Steve Spurrier. If a person is under 60 years old you don't *really* know the significance of that. Steve Friggin Spurrier. And it took a sudden freak generational level talent blossom in-state for HIM to produce what people expect as 'success', and it died when they left. And there are people on here saying our problem is that we don't have the staff ability to 'coach em up' lol. STEVE SPURRIER didn't either. 'Coaching' is not going to get us where people think we should be able to be. Not now.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
It's questionable how successful Kirby would have been had he come here and certainly not a guarantee of the kind of success people are looking for. Many coaches with winning records have failed at places with many more resources than we have. Just in the state of Texas for starters.

Reactions: kidrobinski

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And it took a sudden freak generational level talent blossom in-state for HIM to produce what people expect as 'success', and it died when they left.

It surprises me how often this overlooked. We were going nowhere fast in his first 5 seasons. We had 1 season with a winning conference record and a 1-3 bowl record. No top 25 finishes. Spurrier's success is almost entirely tied to the historically unprecedented boon of in-state talent. We may never see that many elite high school players in such a short time come out of SC again.

Cocky Jeff

Joined Jan 30, 2003
Jan 22, 2022
She never gave a dime to athletics.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
Even if we find billionaires to give to nil the Georgia’s of the world will find trillionaire’s.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
We are a program where NIL is going to have to be used wisely. Spend on a QB, LT, WR, DE and Corner and fill in 3 stars and Portal kids. Continue to recruit the highly rated kids and if you miss, you miss. You have built the relationships. They all can't play for Georgia, Miami (a program spending big on NIL right now), etc. Good players will come back to you if you build those relationships. Also, scout the good players in Group of 5 and FCS. You will find good players there. Not sure if we have the right coach. The jury is still out on that, but this program has enough positives to win. We just have to do it on a budget.

Last edited:

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
We are program where NIL is going to have to be used wisely. Spend on a QB, LT, WR, and Corner and fill in 3 stars and Portal kids. Continue to recruit the highly rated kids and if you miss, you miss. You have built the relationships. They all can't play for Georgia, Miami (a program spending big on NIL right now), etc. Good players will come back to you if you build those relationships. Also, scout the good players in Group of 5 and FCS. You will find good players there. Not sure if we have the right coach. The jury is still out on that, but this program has enough positives to win. We just have to do it on a budget.
With 105-man rosters that means the Portal John needs to be our friend. Lots of really good players may never see the field at their chosen school.
The 4 star and higher HS players will mainly use us a bargaining tool to gain offers from the big NIL powerhouses.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina is not destitute. We have money to spend. We just don't have money to waste on every 4 or 5 star recruit. We have to hit the key positions and fill around the edges. We are like the Tampa Bay Rays or Baltimore Orioles trying to win in MLB.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Mar 8, 2023
Not getting a few commitments isn't whiffing. He's gotten some decent recruits, but he's not going to get all of them at a place like USC. USC is not the cream of the crop for football... never has been, never will be. USC cannot compete in the NIL space compared to the likes of FL, GA, TX, TAMU, AL, OK, etc. Those are just facts. We don't have the financial resources and never will.

You act like Beamer/Tanner has taken down a once mighty program. USC football has been bad or mediocre at best for most of its 125 year history, minus a few pockets. Spurrier was the only one who ever had any consistent success and he was one of the greatest college football coaches of all time (and he never won a conference title here). Holtz had a couple of years that were good and then it became a disaster. 1984 was nice, minus the Navy game, and I guess we still hang our hat on 1969. Other than that, nothing to brag about. Beamer is the kind of guy who can get USC where they should compete for 7-8 wins per year most years, but sorry, USC will NEVER be a powerhouse in football (without cheating mightily) especially under current rules. Do I want to see the team win? Of course, but I also have an understanding of what the program's entire history is and the built-in roadblocks it cannot overcome.

Reactions: scbeachboy
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login