What next?

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
In your opinion, is Muschamp a good, likeable guy?
I was replying to a post stating that we should just keep a coach indefinitely. That was the context. No, I don't think he was likable. That seems to be the priority on this board. For me a head coach's job is to win football games. But that's me. I'm much more tolerant of differing opinions than some on here.

Last edited:

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
I get that we will more than likely always be mediocre. I also know that we will never be able to compete NIL wise with the Georgia’s, Bama’s, Florida’s, LSU’s, Texas, and so on. Yes we had a small amount of sustained success with Spurrier and I guess you hold out hope that we may see that one day again. If it can be done once, it can be done again. I know the chips are stacked greater this time but I mean I just think if we had a better AD who made better hires and money wasn’t an issue, who would or could we realistically get or would want to come here? I know it’s a lot of what ifs.

Mar 8, 2023
I get that we will more than likely always be mediocre. I also know that we will never be able to compete NIL wise with the Georgia’s, Bama’s, Florida’s, LSU’s, Texas, and so on. Yes we had a small amount of sustained success with Spurrier and I guess you hold out hope that we may see that one day again. If it can be done once, it can be done again. I know the chips are stacked greater this time but I mean I just think if we had a better AD who made better hires and money wasn’t an issue, who would or could we realistically get or would want to come here? I know it’s a lot of what ifs.
I think the point is that there is no such thing as a "can't miss hire." I thought it was smart of Ray to go with someone "off the radar" because what's the harm? We've tried other names here and they don't work out great long term, other than Spurrier. Holtz had a couple of nice years but he left the program in shambles. I look at other places who spend money on the big name because he's the big name and it doesn't work out.... Tom Herman at Texas, Billy Napier at Florida, Scott Frost at Nebraska etc. At a place like South Carolina, big names or the hot coordinator don't always work (See Brad Scott), so you have to find the right fit.

Reactions: TheRev

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I think the point is that there is no such thing as a "can't miss hire." I thought it was smart of Ray to go with someone "off the radar" because what's the harm? We've tried other names here and they don't work out great long term, other than Spurrier. Holtz had a couple of nice years but he left the program in shambles. I look at other places who spend money on the big name because he's the big name and it doesn't work out.... Tom Herman at Texas, Billy Napier at Florida, Scott Frost at Nebraska etc. At a place like South Carolina, big names or the hot coordinator don't always work (See Brad Scott), so you have to find the right fit.
Even the big name schools hire coaches (regardless of sport) which don't work out. The difference is the $$$ and high profile.

I like to think that our best shot at high "profiledom" was lost when we left the ACC. We were on the cusp of greatness in men's hoops. We could have been high profile like (or instead of) UnCarolina and Dook. Of course, we're now top dog in women's hoops.

We had it for a minute in baseball, but yard has a lot more haves out there.

I guess we're a step up from Vandy on the gridiron, where we may have a "great" (great for us) season once every few years.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
We are a program where NIL is going to have to be used wisely. Spend on a QB, LT, WR, DE and Corner and fill in 3 stars and Portal kids. Continue to recruit the highly rated kids and if you miss, you miss. You have built the relationships. They all can't play for Georgia, Miami (a program spending big on NIL right now), etc. Good players will come back to you if you build those relationships. Also, scout the good players in Group of 5 and FCS. You will find good players there. Not sure if we have the right coach. The jury is still out on that, but this program has enough positives to win. We just have to do it on a budget.
Probably a correct assessment. It also projects a built-in talent deficit. But I don't care as much as I used to.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
South Carolina is not destitute. We have money to spend. We just don't have money to waste on every 4 or 5 star recruit. We have to hit the key positions and fill around the edges. We are like the Tampa Bay Rays or Baltimore Orioles trying to win in MLB.
Built-in talent deficit both extant and pending.

• Haha
Reactions: atl-cock

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
We've wiffed on Malik Clark. Seems we will not be getting Jared Smith. We at once held big leads for both of these prospects only to be overtaken by programs with better tradition and deeper pockets (shocker) Unless Shane can pull off some miracles this year, I don't see him lasting beyond this year. I know Spurrier had great success for 4-5 years here but that was before NIL became a huge thing. Now you have to kiss all of these athletes tails 24/7, 365 in order to get them to play and stay with your program. We know Ray Tanner is not a competent AD and cannot make a great football hire if his life depended upon it, so if he let Beamer go, who'd even want to come here? No proven coach would want to come here. Surely you'd have to start with a lower ranked school head coach or an offensive coordinator at a school before you'd even dream of offering a bigger fish. We are in the toughest conference and the best conference but there isn't much hope for us moving forward I'm afraid. That's not doom and gloom. That's just the facts.
Another fan who is excited about the upcoming football season I see. You got to be a miserable “fan” to be posting the same old tired “who will our next coach be” threads as camp starts. So you and the other malcontents can post this theoretical question for the 1000th time, I hope you find your peace.

And remember, when you receive your 1099 from Taternet you must list that as income on your tax return. Nice, 46th post.

TheRev

Jan 22, 2022
Another fan who is excited about the upcoming football season I see. You got to be a miserable “fan” to be posting the same old tired “who will our next coach be” threads as camp starts. So you and the other malcontents can post this theoretical question for the 1000th time, I hope you find your peace.

And remember, when you receive your 1099 from Taternet you must list that as income on your tax return. Nice, 46th post.
Not a Taternet fan. Nice try. I've spent plenty of my hard earned money going to see South Carolina play football over the years and I'm not entitled to an opinion??? I'm supposed to be fine with a mediocre product on the field??? I take it you are.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Not a Taternet fan. Nice try. I've spent plenty of my hard earned money going to see South Carolina play football over the years and I'm not entitled to an opinion??? I'm supposed to be fine with a mediocre product on the field??? I take it you are.
You had hundreds of threads and 9 months. Odd you choose now to ask the same derogatory question. But sure, your opinion and comments are every bit as valuable as mine. Which are equally irrelevant

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Tom Herman was at Texas 4 seasons. In his last 3 seasons there, his teams finished 9th, 25th and 19th in the nation. He won a bowl game in each of his 4 seasons there. I don't know why Texas let him go. I think he is a "big name" who is a ,good football coach.

I'm pulling for Beamer and think we will surprise this year. If Beamer turns out to be the one, I think we will have a coach for the next 20 years. This is a crucial year for Beamer's career. Some people want to use the schedule crutch. But we will usually have a tough schedule. ESPN ranked our schedule as the 11th toughest among ALL SEC teams. So, a soft schedule for us would be a rarity in the future. Thus our fans should stop throwing that excuse out there. Beamer just needs to win. Our coaches get NIL money. I don't know how much. I do know that our new womens softball coach bragged about the NIL money available to her and said she would build a powerhouse here. If Beamer fails, then the next coach just needs to win. Like I said, I think we will surprise this year. We will go at least 7-5.

IF, a big if, Beamer fails, I hope the next hire will be a young proven Head Coach winner, who is offensive-minded, at a low-tier FBS program. To win in college football today, you need to emphasize offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

Still_Here

Aug 6, 2024
Need to look at an election map.

Columbia, indeed, all major cities are "blue" - Liberals. Bleeding hearts. Never mind the facts, it's all about their feeeeeeeeeeewings.......

They're losers. Those losers heavily influence the University and it's decisions. USC went "full retard woke" a while back. See Dawn the racist, commie and her idiotic racism / race baiting comments that she's good for every single year. She's a thug.

Now, take a peek at Clemson. They're actually surrounded by heavy dark red conservative values. They don't lose. They have the "whatever it takes" mentality. USC asks if our men players want to "transition" into something delusional..... probably with dresses.

(Remember: life tip> Delusional people are dangerous. See Hitler, Nazis)

Anyway, USC won't do it, but if they'd get rid of the liberals on staff at every level and hire conservatives - get rid of the delusional dress people that can't even tell you what a woman is ....(you think those people know football???) ....and hire a real by God *** chewing old fashioned coach like Saban....we'll be ok. That's never going to happen and so, we will continue to suck.

Liberalism is a *LOSER*, *VICTIM* mentality. That's no good for a football team.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Need to look at an election map.

Columbia, indeed, all major cities are "blue" - Liberals. Bleeding hearts. Never mind the facts, it's all about their feeeeeeeeeeewings.......

They're losers. Those losers heavily influence the University and it's decisions. USC went "full retard woke" a while back. See Dawn the racist, commie and her idiotic racism / race baiting comments that she's good for every single year. She's a thug.

Now, take a peek at Clemson. They're actually surrounded by heavy dark red conservative values. They don't lose. They have the "whatever it takes" mentality. USC asks if our men players want to "transition" into something delusional..... probably with dresses.

(Remember: life tip> Delusional people are dangerous. See Hitler, Nazis)

Anyway, USC won't do it, but if they'd get rid of the liberals on staff at every level and hire conservatives - get rid of the delusional dress people that can't even tell you what a woman is ....(you think those people know football???) ....and hire a real by God *** chewing old fashioned coach like Saban....we'll be ok. That's never going to happen and so, we will continue to suck.

Liberalism is a *LOSER*, *VICTIM* mentality. That's no good for a football team.
Liberalism done right = Laissez Faire.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login