What Saban really thought about Kiffin

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
He did cost them a possible natty in 2015 when he insisted on throwing the ball agains TOSU, rather than run it, which they were doing effectively. Same agains OM a couple years earlier, Bama is running the ball all over them and Kiffin call pass plays.

I certainly think he learned from that, not that he'd admit it.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
One narcissist calling another narcissist a narcissist
Where does the hatred for Saban come from other than him acting in his own self-interest and winning?

Personally, I think Saban has earned the respect of college football fans a lot more than Kiffin. I would not lump them in the same category.

I hated Saban ten years ago just because he coached Alabama and won a lot, but towards the end of his career and now that he is retired, I have a lot of respect for him.

Can someone make the case as to why I should hate him?

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Where does the hatred for Saban come from other than him acting in his own self-interest and winning?

Personally, I think Saban has earned the respect of college football fans a lot more than Kiffin. I would not lump them in the same category.

I hated Saban ten years ago just because he coached Alabama and won a lot, but towards the end of his career and now that he is retired, I have a lot of respect for him.

Because he's the only Alabama coach to ever get away with cheating.**

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013

You can acknowledge that Saban has some narcissistic tendencies without hating him.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
You can acknowledge that Saban has some narcissistic tendencies without hating him.
Okay. Second question: What narcissistic tendencies does Saban exhibit?

I'm curious because there is an actual narcissist in my extended family.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

I don't have a lot of like for bama, in general, so it goes with saban too. Now, he's retired at the moment that the field is all of a sudden flipped to not exactly keep it easy for bama to keep 5* players on the bench ready for "next up".

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
This sounds like a question for the new AI generator, that picture should be a doozy
Thank you. Sometimes, I forget that now that we have AI, I don't have to get all of my answers from the Pack.

Prompt: Is there any evidence that Nick Saban is a narcissist?
There isn't concrete evidence or a clinical diagnosis that confirms Nick Saban, the head coach of the University of Alabama football team, is a narcissist. While Saban is known for his intense, demanding, and sometimes controlling leadership style, this doesn't necessarily indicate narcissism in a clinical sense.

Narcissism is a specific psychological condition characterized by traits such as a grandiose sense of self-importance, a need for excessive admiration, and a lack of empathy for others. These traits are diagnosed by mental health professionals, typically through comprehensive assessments.

However, in public perception, people might label someone as a narcissist based on their behavior. Saban's strict approach, focus on perfection, and high expectations from his players and staff could be interpreted by some as traits of narcissism. Still, these characteristics are also common among many successful leaders in high-pressure environments and don't automatically equate to narcissism.

Saban himself has spoken about the importance of teamwork, self-improvement, and humility, which suggests a more nuanced personality than one solely driven by self-centered motives. Without a psychological assessment or more detailed personal insights, it's impossible to accurately label Saban or anyone else as a narcissist.

• Haha
Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There Can Be Only One Highlander GIF

tired

Sep 16, 2013

I don't believe Saban is a narcissist. People use that word too loosely. A narcissist wouldn't have been able to maintain that success that long.

Once people figure out the narcissistic behavior they bail. He had players willing to run thru a wall for him. Former & current.

Saban is just highly intelligent, high IQ, & a very competitive individual. Right place, right time. He allowed the boosters at Bama to do what they've always done, obtain the best talent. He is one of the greatest defensive minds to ever coach, a great CEO, (could run a fortune 500 co) very well organized, business oriented and understood 100% what it took to win in college football.

He adjusted when he needed to whether he wanted to or not, which is the downfall of a lot of coaches.

Everyone at Bama were all on the same page, pulling in the same direction, with the same goal in mind, and had the perfect individual to lead.

It won't ever happen again.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
I wanted him gone while he was winning. Toward the end he started whining a lot and playing the “poor me” card, which was annoying

Did he do a lot of whining that I am forgetting about? All I remember is him wanting to do away with the up tempo offenses for a season or so before he adapted it himself.

And I got a pretty good laugh out of "while he was winning".....that prompted me to glance at his results at Bama and they are just ridiculous.

1724360887560.png

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012

I would not refer to him as a narcissist either, and agree I admire and respect him. He ain't do nothing any other coach has done or is doing. Including the Kang, Mullen, anyone before them and anyone after them. Alabama and the other Blue Bloods just have more resources so I can't be upset by others that are more fortunate.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure if "I'm not going to play if it means I can't have a decisive advantage" is a narcissistic personality trait or not but it ain't good.

And let's admit it. Coaches get WAY too much credit for wins. Put the best talent in the country on the field by spending the most, make them play up to their ability, and reap the benefits of being an "amazing" coach. 👍🏼 I want to be great like that.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Did he do a lot of whining that I am forgetting about? All I remember is him wanting to do away with the up tempo offenses for a season or so before he adapted it himself.

And I got a pretty good laugh out of "while he was winning".....that prompted me to glance at his results at Bama and they are just ridiculous.

View attachment 632285
Yeah but we whipped that ASSS

in 2007

Reactions: eckie1

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't believe Saban is a narcissist. People use that word too loosely. A narcissist wouldn't have been able to maintain that success that long.

Once people figure out the narcissistic behavior they bail. He had players willing to run thru a wall for him. Former & current.

Saban is just highly intelligent, high IQ, & a very competitive individual. Right place, right time. He allowed the boosters at Bama to do what they've always done, obtain the best talent. He is one of the greatest defensive minds to ever coach, a great CEO, (could run a fortune 500 co) very well organized, business oriented and understood 100% what it took to win in college football.

He adjusted when he needed to whether he wanted to or not, which is the downfall of a lot of coaches.

Everyone at Bama were all on the same page, pulling in the same direction, with the same goal in mind, and had the perfect individual to lead.

Why won't it ever happen again? It's happed at least twice for extended periods since I've been alive. I think there were a couple of other periods like them back in the day.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why won't it ever happen again? It's happed at least twice for extended periods since I've been alive. I think there were a couple of other periods like them back in the day.
No school anywhere anytime has ever had a 15-year run anywhere close to the one Saban had at Alabama.

Reactions: HuntDawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I'm not sure if "I'm not going to play if it means I can't have a decisive advantage" is a narcissistic personality trait or not but it ain't good.

And let's admit it. Coaches get WAY too much credit for wins. Put the best talent in the country on the field by spending the most, make them play up to their ability, and reap the benefits of being an "amazing" coach. 👍🏼 I want to be great like that.
Your summary of why he is no longer coaching doesn’t seem accurate or balanced. He was an OT loss away from probably winning it all in his last season. They didn’t exactly fall off.

He’s 72 and has more money than he, his kids, and his grandkids could ever spend in their lifetimes. He had to retire at some point.

And if he doesn’t deserve credit for Alabama’s dominance over the last 17 years, they should do the same over the next 17 years.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Your summary of why he is no longer coaching doesn’t seem accurate or balanced. He was an OT loss away from probably winning it all in his last season. hey didn’t exactly fall off.

He’s 72 and has more money than he, his kids, and his grandkids could ever spend in their lifetimes. He had to retire at some point.

And if he doesn’t deserve credit for Alabama’s dominance over the last 17 years, they should do the same over the next 17 years.
No he quit because so many other teams have the same advantages that he enjoyed, and they are getting players that Bama wants by paying them more. Saban is a business man and a damn good one, a great CEO. But he is done because he knows he cannot regularly enjoy the same success. As the CEO he deserves credit for a system that got the best players and got them and the coaches off their asses to be as good as they could be each week.

The new coach will not be able to flail his arms and yell and scream and get all red faced in the same way Saban did to get his team back on track when they were giving their "B" game one Saturday. The great window of opportunity advantage that Bama leveraged for his 17 years has closed. And yes with his ego he wants no part of that. Former assistants once never beat his teams, now it has become a regular thing and will be more regular this year and the next several years.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

Why wasn't Shula, Price or any of those other turd coaches using the 'Bama advantage or paying the best to play there? Both things can be true....Saban was great and.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He did cost them a possible natty in 2015 when he insisted on throwing the ball agains TOSU, rather than run it, which they were doing effectively. Same agains OM a couple years earlier, Bama is running the ball all over them and Kiffin call pass plays.

I certainly think he learned from that, not that he'd admit it.
They won a national title in 2015 (season).

If you’re talking 2014 season (2015 title game), the only reason Alabama was in that playoff instead of MSU is due to Lane Kiffin.

Terrible take.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
No he quit because so many other teams have the same advantages that he enjoyed, and they are getting players that Bama wants by paying them more. Saban is a business man and a damn good one, a great CEO. But he is done because he knows he cannot regularly enjoy the same success. As the CEO he deserves credit for a system that got the best players and got them and the coaches off their asses to be as good as they could be each week.

The new coach will not be able to flail his arms and yell and scream and get all red faced in the same way Saban did to get his team back on track when they were giving their "B" game one Saturday. The great window of opportunity advantage that Bama leveraged for his 17 years has closed. And yes with his ego he wants no part of that. Former assistants once never beat his teams, now it has become a regular thing and will be more regular this year and the next several years.
Alabama wasn't the only program with advantages. They dominated for 17 years. They were in the national championship game nine times, the second-most championship game appearances being four (Clemson). They won six national titles, the second-most being two (Clemson, Georgia, and LSU).

Why can't Alabama (among other programs) have advantages AND a pretty damn good coach? There aren't many (maybe zero) coaches that could have won at the level of Saban over a 17-year period.

If we dismissed every coach who won at a job with advantages, we'd have to dismiss nearly every coach who ever won at a high level. The best coaches tend to coach at the best jobs (with the most advantages).

Reactions: patdog and HuntDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Alabama wasn't the only program with advantages. They dominated for 17 years. They were in the national championship game nine times, the second-most championship game appearances being four (Clemson). They won six national titles, the second-most being two (Clemson, Georgia, and LSU).

Why can't Alabama (among other programs) have advantages AND a pretty damn good coach? There aren't many (maybe zero) coaches that could have won at the level of Saban over a 17-year period.

If we dismissed every coach who won at a job with advantages, we'd have to dismiss nearly every coach who ever won at a high level. The best coaches tend to coach at the best jobs (with the most advantages).
You’re right, we would. But it’s 17-ing stupid to deny advantages too. That’s why many dismiss Leach….he never had advantages.

Incredibly ignorant to not acknowledge advantages in programs. If you want to say the best coaches eventually end up at advantaged programs (mainly due to money) and earn those advantages, I might agree somewhat. But to deny advantages is intentionally stupid.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
You’re right, we would. But it’s 17-ing stupid to deny advantages too. That’s what’s many dismiss Leach….he never had advantages.

Incredibly ignorant to not acknowledge advantages in programs. If you want to say the best coaches eventually end up at advantaged programs (mainly due to money), I might agree somewhat. But to deny advantages is intentionally stupid.
Who denied Alabama had advantages? Who didn't acknowledge Alabama's advantages?

What people don't seem to understand is the gap between Alabama and other programs with advantages.

To help people visualize:
number (2007-2023)title game appearancesnational titles
9Alabama
6Alabama
4Clemson
3Georgia, Ohio State, LSU
2Auburn, OregonClemson, Georgia, LSU
1Michigan, Florida State, Oklahoma, Florida, Washington, Notre Dame, TCU, TexasOhio State, Michigan, Auburn, Florida State, Florida

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog and HuntDawg

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

not hatred - just recognition that he was great at playing THE game. a mediocre coach with far superior talent. he quit because the field leveled with NIL

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They won a national title in 2015 (season).

If you’re talking 2014 season (2015 title game), the only reason Alabama was in that playoff instead of MSU is due to Lane Kiffin.

Terrible take.
whatever year they lost to TOSU in the playoff.

Either that year or the previous year, they lost to OM on an interception in the end zone, in spite of running the ball down OM's thought late in the game.

The reason we lost to Bama in 2014 was Dan's balls drawed up inside him and Josh Robinson made a stupid mistake early on that snowballed on us.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
He didn't turn College Football into the big business that it is today, but he is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the sport now.

He is a prick, although he is a fantastic coach, knows how to achieve his goals, and can be very funny.

He first started irritating me when LSU made him the highest paid coach in the country ($2.5MM) when he had not really accomplished all that much at Michigan State. Cue the Mullen-esque claims of "if he can take Michigan State to bowl games, imagine what he can do at a school like LSU".

Saban seemed made for the NFL. Football was a cut throat business to him, and money was everything. He left LSU for the money....and failed with the Dolphins.

Now, a lot of media still give him a hard time for directly stating in press conferences "I will not be the head coach at Alabama." That's one thing about him I don't mind at all, because at the time he was telling the truth. He had turned Alabama down, and they were hiring Rich Rodriguiz. Then Rich's wife nixed that deal and Alabama backed up the Brinks truck to pay Saban whatever it took.

Alabama was my second favorite team, because I went to law school there. When they hired Saban, they were dead to me. I didn't know he would be so successful, but I saw things changing in a direction that is not fun for me. Coaches making outrageous salaries. Players focusing on their NFL potential. The game becoming too commercial and impersonal.

None of these things are major crimes, and like I said, Saban is not personally responsible for the changes. But for me he is a symbol for the loss of something I was passionate about.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

$$$$@ban won because booster won plain and simple.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

You mean like Ole Miss has rallied behind Kiffin. OM fans will argue with your logic. You can still be a State fan and love Satan if you want. From The Waterboy, "He is tha debbil!"

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I would not refer to him as a narcissist either, and agree I admire and respect him. He ain't do nothing any other coach has done or is doing. Including the Kang, Mullen, anyone before them and anyone after them. Alabama and the other Blue Bloods just have more resources so I can't be upset by others that are more fortunate.
I didn't have angst against him for being a narcissist. I had real disdain for him because he enabled an army of houndstooth wearing morons to run their mouths.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He didn't turn College Football into the big business that it is today, but he is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the sport now.

He is a prick, although he is a fantastic coach, knows how to achieve his goals, and can be very funny.

He first started irritating me when LSU made him the highest paid coach in the country ($2.5MM) when he had not really accomplished all that much at Michigan State. Cue the Mullen-esque claims of "if he can take Michigan State to bowl games, imagine what he can do at a school like LSU".

Saban seemed made for the NFL. Football was a cut throat business to him, and money was everything. He left LSU for the money....and failed with the Dolphins.

Now, a lot of media still give him a hard time for directly stating in press conferences "I will not be the head coach at Alabama." That's one thing about him I don't mind at all, because at the time he was telling the truth. He had turned Alabama down, and they were hiring Rich Rodriguiz. Then Rich's wife nixed that deal and Alabama backed up the Brinks truck to pay Saban whatever it took.

Alabama was my second favorite team, because I went to law school there. When they hired Saban, they were dead to me. I didn't know he would be so successful, but I saw things changing in a direction that is not fun for me. Coaches making outrageous salaries. Players focusing on their NFL potential. The game becoming too commercial and impersonal.

None of these things are major crimes, and like I said, Saban is not personally responsible for the changes. But for me he is a symbol for the loss of something I was passionate about.
Man this is a perfect way to sum it up and I can't say it any better.

I would like him a lot more if he'd STFU bltching about things. He had elite success in the system that was available when he was there, just leave it at that.

I often wonder what happens if he'd have stayed with the Dolphins, because there's no other coach that could have had that success in college (as Alabama will soon find out). We probably still get to the horrible place we're in now, but it may happen a lot slower. Think about it, so many things happened because of Bama money and Bama fatigue. We might not even have a playoff without that 2011 rematch. And looking back, the 4-team playoff was really bad for the game. I think we were better under the bowl system, when they were valued.

Reactions: Ranchdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login