What Saban really thought about Kiffin

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He didn't turn College Football into the big business that it is today, but he is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the sport now.

He is a prick, although he is a fantastic coach, knows how to achieve his goals, and can be very funny.

He first started irritating me when LSU made him the highest paid coach in the country ($2.5MM) when he had not really accomplished all that much at Michigan State. Cue the Mullen-esque claims of "if he can take Michigan State to bowl games, imagine what he can do at a school like LSU".

Saban seemed made for the NFL. Football was a cut throat business to him, and money was everything. He left LSU for the money....and failed with the Dolphins.

Now, a lot of media still give him a hard time for directly stating in press conferences "I will not be the head coach at Alabama." That's one thing about him I don't mind at all, because at the time he was telling the truth. He had turned Alabama down, and they were hiring Rich Rodriguiz. Then Rich's wife nixed that deal and Alabama backed up the Brinks truck to pay Saban whatever it took.

Alabama was my second favorite team, because I went to law school there. When they hired Saban, they were dead to me. I didn't know he would be so successful, but I saw things changing in a direction that is not fun for me. Coaches making outrageous salaries. Players focusing on their NFL potential. The game becoming too commercial and impersonal.

None of these things are major crimes, and like I said, Saban is not personally responsible for the changes. But for me he is a symbol for the loss of something I was passionate about.
God this is bad. He didnt fial with the dolphins, unless only coaching 2 seasons and going to the playoffs in 1 was a failure.

The rich rod thing is wrong too. Rich Rod's wife never nixed any deal. Rich rod was a candidate, but once word got out saban might be interested.. everything stopped and bama went full court press on Saban. Rodriguez was never offered the job.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They won a national title in 2015 (season).

If you’re talking 2014 season (2015 title game), the only reason Alabama was in that playoff instead of MSU is due to Lane Kiffin.

Terrible take.
Hard for me to agree with Goat. But i do here. in 2014, Alabama wasnt their usual Alabama self. They lost to OSU game because their defense got shredded for almost 600 yards of offense to Zeke and the Buckeyes.

They won the national title under kiffin in 2015, then if you recall the 2016 season, they were 14-0 and Saban fired kiffin before the national championship game.. kiffin took the job at FAU. So kiffin had a pretty dang good run.

Although it is known fact that Kiffin was calling plays that werent even practiced or on the play sheet during the semi final game against Washington that year. Which would have made for some great dialouge on the headsets

patdog

May 28, 2007
not hatred - just recognition that he was great at playing THE game. a mediocre coach with far superior talent. he quit because the field leveled with NIL
Even if you’re right (you're not, he was a great coach).Who recruited all that far superior talent? Nick Saban. So he gets the credit either way.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
God this is bad. He didnt fial with the dolphins, unless only coaching 2 seasons and going to the playoffs in 1 was a failure.

The rich rod thing is wrong too. Rich Rod's wife never nixed any deal. Rich rod was a candidate, but once word got out saban might be interested.. everything stopped and bama went full court press on Saban. Rodriguez was never offered the job.

That's what really happened. West Virginia anted up, and so did Alabama. Pivotal point in the sport.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

That's what really happened. West Virginia anted up, and so did Alabama. Pivotal point in the sport.
That story got a lot of scrunitity. Not sure rich rod was ever officially offered the job. One reports view seems to think he was. The story and stories I've heard were quiet different. They were close. Rich Rod thought it was done, to the point of packing up in Morgantown... but he was never offered. Saban entered the picture. Rich Rod hit the back burner. The whole Rich Rod turned it down was a way for him to save face and continue on at WVU. Alabama allowed this obviously because they knew what they had coming in Saban.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That story got a lot of scrunitity. Not sure rich rod was ever officially offered the job. One reports view seems to think he was. The story and stories I've heard were quiet different. They were close. Rich Rod thought it was done, to the point of packing up in Morgantown... but he was never offered. Saban entered the picture. Rich Rod hit the back burner. The whole Rich Rod turned it down was a way for him to save face and continue on at WVU. Alabama allowed this obviously because they knew what they had coming in Saban.
From the article:

"Nearly a month after Rodriguez said no, Moore finally convinced Saban to leave the Miami Dolphins for Alabama. Moore famously told Saban if didn't say yes; he couldn't go back to Alabama."

Occam's Razor says that Saban initially turned them down, which makes sense, NFL > college, etc. Pursue Rich Rod, it falls apart, however it happened. They go back to Saban with more money and things souring rapidly with the Dolphins, and Saban changes his mind.

Remember, when Bama first went to Saban, he was on a 4 game win streak. When they went back to him, they had dropped 4 of the last 5. Things change quickly in the NFL.

This all makes sense if you will allow the information to soak into your hard head.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
From the article:

"Nearly a month after Rodriguez said no, Moore finally convinced Saban to leave the Miami Dolphins for Alabama. Moore famously told Saban if didn't say yes; he couldn't go back to Alabama."

Occam's Razor says that Saban initially turned them down, which makes sense, NFL > college, etc. Pursue Rich Rod, it falls apart, however it happened. They go back to Saban with more money and things souring rapidly with the Dolphins, and Saban changes his mind.

Remember, when Bama first went to Saban, he was on a 4 game win streak. When they went back to him, they had dropped 4 of the last 5. Things change quickly in the NFL.

This all makes sense if you will allow the information to soak into your hard head.
Yep. That story makes sense. As does others. There is a reason why that story was posted by someone that isnt a name in the industry.. and not quoted by anyone with any real connection to it.

Everyone is free to believe what they want.

I do agree, they circled back to Saban. I dont agree that Rich Rod was ever offered the job. Saban was always plan A. And Saban didnt turn alabama down. He refused to talk. There is a difference. Alabama pulled out of the Rich Rod deal because they thought they could land Saban. Rich Rod didnt say no. Rich Rod was never offered because of Saban. Rich Rod was allowed to say all the media jazz that he turned it down because Alabama knew they didnt handle the situation right, and this allowed Rich Rod to go back to WVU and be a cult hero of sorts for turning down Bama and staying.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
whatever year they lost to TOSU in the playoff.

Either that year or the previous year, they lost to OM on an interception in the end zone, in spite of running the ball down OM's thought late in the game.

The reason we lost to Bama in 2014 was Dan's balls drawed up inside him and Josh Robinson made a stupid mistake early on that snowballed on us.
Eh, they were down 6 with 40 seconds left and had a mismatch. Senquez Gholson just made a hell of a play to get over and intercept the pass.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep. That story makes sense. As does others. There is a reason why that story was posted by someone that isnt a name in the industry.. and not quoted by anyone with any real connection to it.

Everyone is free to believe what they want.

I do agree, they circled back to Saban. I dont agree that Rich Rod was ever offered the job. Saban was always plan A. And Saban didnt turn alabama down. He refused to talk. There is a difference. Alabama pulled out of the Rich Rod deal because they thought they could land Saban. Rich Rod didnt say no. Rich Rod was never offered because of Saban. Rich Rod was allowed to say all the media jazz that he turned it down because Alabama knew they didnt handle the situation right, and this allowed Rich Rod to go back to WVU and be a cult hero of sorts for turning down Bama and staying.
Good lord, man. Your story is that they never offered Rod the job & let him save face to go back to WVU. Thrn waited a freaking month to go back to Saban, not knowing if he’d turn thrm down again or not. It just didn’t happen that way. Maybe if Saban had stepped in a day or two after Rod went back to WVU. But not a month later.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Good lord, man. Your story is that they never offered Rod the job & let him save face to go back to WVU. Thrn waited a freaking month to go back to Saban, not knowing if he’d turn thrm down again or not. It just didn’t happen that way. Maybe if Saban had stepped in a day or two after Rod went back to WVU. But not a month later.
Its more than just Saban. Once Rich Rod was leaked as a possible coach it didnt sit well with the Bama brass. So again Bama nixed the deal. It was bama that walked away from the deal, not rich rod.

They allowed him/media etc to run with the fact he turned Alabama down so that he could save face with WVU because Alabama handled the situation 100% wrong. I mean basically alabama led a coach to believe they were going to offer him a job only to change their mind. How many schools make a public statement that they didnt get a coach? alabama did, because again they balked on the entire situation and this was a way to smooth things over with Rich Rod.

Saban entered the picture later. But he was always choice one. He never turned down alabama. He refused to talk to Alabama. After the bama brass rejected someone like Rich Rod. Moore threw the full court press on Saban. Hence the quote about sending him to Cuba.. because he knew hiring someone like Rich Rod wasnt going to work...

again that article was written by a writer that is a nobody. Included zero quotes from anyone from the Alabama or Nick Saban side of things. the information provided was from a search rep whose companies pick was selected, rich rod, and a reporter looking for his first big break.... take it for what its worth. Dig into the situation a little more, and you'll get more facts...

but it was 10 years ago. Its not worth arguing over. Believe what you want. But if you believe Rich Rod's wife nixed the deal... then OK

patdog

May 28, 2007
Its more than just Saban. Once Rich Rod was leaked as a possible coach it didnt sit well with the Bama brass. So again Bama nixed the deal. It was bama that walked away from the deal, not rich rod.

They allowed him/media etc to run with the fact he turned Alabama down so that he could save face with WVU because Alabama handled the situation 100% wrong. I mean basically alabama led a coach to believe they were going to offer him a job only to change their mind. How many schools make a public statement that they didnt get a coach? alabama did, because again they balked on the entire situation and this was a way to smooth things over with Rich Rod.

Saban entered the picture later. But he was always choice one. He never turned down alabama. He refused to talk to Alabama. After the bama brass rejected someone like Rich Rod. Moore threw the full court press on Saban. Hence the quote about sending him to Cuba.. because he knew hiring someone like Rich Rod wasnt going to work.
Of course Saban was their 1st choice. But the fact is, they DIDN'T know they had him. As far as they knew, they didn’t have him. Why would they concoct a story that made them look like the school that got turned down if it was all Rich Rid jumping the gun? It just doesn’t make sense.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Of course Saban was their 1st choice. But the fact is, they DIDN'T know they had him. As far as they knew, they didn’t have him. Why would they concoct a story that made them look like the school that got turned down if it was all Rich Rid jumping the gun? It just doesn’t make sense.
They didnt concoct the story. Rich Rod is the one that leaked the entire story. It was rich rods camp that leaked the story.

Once Rich rod was leaked--- Bama brass heard about it--- and major blow back happened. they didnt want rich rod. Namely.. Paul Bryant Jr... then Bama backed out. But by that time rich rod was already packing up the house because he thought he was going.... thus some backpedaling had to happen.

Bama and moore botched the entire situation... they had now done major PR damage to Rich Rod and his career... and tried to make that situation right... Thus the presser from moore and the story to follow that Rich Rod spurns Bama.

After Moore basically knew he had to land a big fish or he was fried. He then was a man on a mission to land saban. Hence the quote about Cuba... and the stories following about him hiding out at the airport waiting to speak to him

Last edited:

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Why won't it ever happen again? It's happed at least twice for extended periods since I've been alive. I think there were a couple of other periods like them back in the day.
Too much parity with 6-8 teams. What Bama did, with impunity, for years, everyone is now allowed to do.

I'm not suggesting a team won't win a couple, but 6 in a 10 year span, I don't believe will happen again in my lifetime.

Also they lost in the NC game, what 2-3 mores times. 9-10 appearances in the NC game. Yeah, that's not happening again.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The reason we lost to Bama in 2014 was Dan's balls drawed up inside him and Josh Robinson made a stupid mistake early on that snowballed on us.
I will clarify......I didn't mean that Lane Kiffin was the reason they beat US specifically. I agree, we choked on offense in that game, both Danny and Dak. So when I said "they were in the playoff instead of MSU", that was misleading, as if I said Kiffin was 100% instrumental in beating us.

What Kiffin WAS instrumental is doing, is developing their offense to the point that they went 12-1 with that Blake dude, #8. I can't even remember his last name, that's how irrelevant he was.

So I shouldn't have even mentioned MSU in that post, just confused things. And shlt, to look back on that game is just depressing. Lost a chance at the SEC, playoff and Heisman all in one fell swoop.....to a lesser than norm Bama team. Of course, we say they were lesser, but they still had Derrick Henry, Amari Cooper and a host of young 5 star talent.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Too much parity with 6-8 teams. What Bama did, with impunity, for years, everyone is now allowed to do.

I'm not suggesting a team won't win a couple, but 6 in a 10 year span, I don't believe will happen again in my lifetime.

Also they lost in the NC game, what 2-3 mores times. 9-10 appearances in the NC game. Yeah, that's not happening again.
It will happen again, but not for a while. There will be parity for the foreseeable future. But eventually, unless the sport crumbles, someone will figure out a way to build another dynasty.

And it won't be about money. I don't think you can simply continue to buy your way to a dynasty, there's just not enough money to do that year in, year out.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
No school anywhere anytime has ever had a 15-year run anywhere close to the one Saban had at Alabama.
Bama had some great stretches under the Bear. I think it could happen again. What the elite are doing now is no different than what they have done for decades when it comes to paying players, it's just above board now. I'd say it would be much easier for them to do now because of the portal, and the increased roster size on "scholarship." When one of them gets the right coach off they will go. If you want to see the model, look at European soccer. That's the closest thing to what college football is now, except they don't even have unlimited muted transfers for nothing EVERY year.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022

The Alabama football website jumped the gun and posted a pic of Rodriguez photo shopped in Alabama gear. It was pretty much a done deal.

Whatever reason Rich Rod pulled out, Saban had already turned Bama down when he made his denials to the Miami press. He wasn't lying.

And Saban never went to the playoffs with the Dolphins. They went 9-7 in 2005, but missed the playoffs. They went 6-10 in 2016. I'm not sure who decided to trade for Duante Culpepper instead of Drew Brees in 2006, but Saban says it wasn't him. Anyway, that sounds like failure to me.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Alabama football website jumped the gun and posted a pic of Rodriguez photo shopped in Alabama gear. It was pretty much a done deal.

Whatever reason Rich Rod pulled out, Saban had already turned Bama down when he made his denials to the Miami press. He wasn't lying.

And Saban never went to the playoffs with the Dolphins. They went 9-7 in 2005, but missed the playoffs. They went 6-10 in 2016. I'm not sure who decided to trade for Duante Culpepper instead of Drew Brees in 2006, but Saban says it wasn't him. Anyway, that sounds like failure to me.
Brees failed his physical with the Dolphins. It wasn’t Saban.
https://www.al.com/sports/2024/02/d...ting-him-losing-his-job-to-philip-rivers.html

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Whatever your thoughts on "pretty much a done deal" i guess and mine are different. Pretty much done is Moore and the search committee liked him, were ready to make it happen, but the big money people said NO. Moore had gone from Step 1 to Step 5 without checking on steps 2-4 which were prominent Bama people and the people that would be paying that salary. Moore then had to save his tail, tell Rich Rod sorry, make some bogus statement.. and land a big name coach.. or he was out the door.

But facts are Rich Rod didnt pull out. Alabama pulled out. Anyone with any real knowledge of the situation knows this, but you wont see it written in any news outlet because the Bama people wont talk on it..... but anyone that believes the bogus BS that Rich Rod's wife nixed the deal... well, whatever.

Also again Saban hadnt turned alabama down. He refused to talk to anyone about any other job. There is a huge difference between getting told no and being told I dont want to talk right now.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Alabama wasn't the only program with advantages. They dominated for 17 years. They were in the national championship game nine times, the second-most championship game appearances being four (Clemson). They won six national titles, the second-most being two (Clemson, Georgia, and LSU).

Why can't Alabama (among other programs) have advantages AND a pretty damn good coach? There aren't many (maybe zero) coaches that could have won at the level of Saban over a 17-year period.

If we dismissed every coach who won at a job with advantages, we'd have to dismiss nearly every coach who ever won at a high level. The best coaches tend to coach at the best jobs (with the most advantages).
Because at Bama if a coach wins they are considered god-like and that is not the case at other programs. Anything Bama needed/wanted they got and Saban leveraged that coach worship to building even the city of Tuscaloosa up in addition to drastic upgrades at the Bama campus, while making insane offers to the families of athletes to get their NFL ready children to the NFL and then pay for school for all their offspring (and more offer sweeteners for many other 5 star players). What other school in those 17 years HAD THEIR OWN BANK? I will wait for your investigative anaylsis.

Yes, the best "coaches" have the most advantages (i.e. money, players, cheating) Don't be naive. Wooden. Belichick. Orgeron (2019 team only). Kirby Smart, Harbaugh as we are finding out now cheated his a$$ off. Like I said, Saban was a great CEO that played it well and left once he had no more decisive odds in his favor. Like a poker player that has been allowed to count cards and then leaves the table after they add in a 10 deck blind shuffle. See it for what it is. Bama offers were unmatched when they wanted a player on their 2 deep. Unmatched, until now. But please kiss those rings on Saban's hands like he is the Football Pope, its really cute.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Because at Bama if a coach wins they are considered god-like and that is not the case at other programs. Anything Bama needed/wanted they got and Saban leveraged that coach worship to building even the city of Tuscaloosa up in addition to drastic upgrades at the Bama campus, while making insane offers to the families of athletes to get their NFL ready children to the NFL and then pay for school for all their offspring (and more offer sweeteners for many other 5 star players). What other school in those 17 years HAD THEIR OWN BANK? I will wait for your investigative anaylsis.

Yes, the best "coaches" have the most advantages (i.e. money, players, cheating) Don't be naive. Wooden. Belichick. Orgeron (2019 team only). Kirby Smart, Harbaugh as we are finding out now cheated his a$$ off. Like I said, Saban was a great CEO that played it well and left once he had no more decisive odds in his favor. Like a poker player that has been allowed to count cards and then leaves the table after they add in a 10 deck blind shuffle. See it for what it is. Bama offers were unmatched when they wanted a player on their 2 deep. Unmatched, until now. But please kiss those rings on Saban's hands like he is the Football Pope, its really cute.
So saban was a college coach for 20 something years. And was never once put on probation. Yet we shouldnt be naive in the fact that he was buying every player on his 2 deep... to the point that it was unmatched and well known...yet nothing was done..... and before you say the NCAA didnt want to touch Alabama, they had already basically given the program the death penality a few years earlier..... this wasnt the NCAA it is now. This was in the midst of the NCAA power hey-day. Pre-NIL and court hearings.

Not saying cheating didnt occur. But i doubt it was on the scale you claim it to be

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
So saban was a college coach for 20 something years. And was never once put on probation. Yet we shouldnt be naive in the fact that he was buying every player on his 2 deep... to the point that it was unmatched and well known...yet nothing was done..... and before you say the NCAA didnt want to touch Alabama, they had already basically given the program the death penality a few years earlier.
Yes, Saban had a new plan if you know what I mean

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Yes, Saban had a new plan if you know what I mean
I dont. Seeing that the NCAA had no issues dropping the hammer on Alabama just a few year earlier. If Alabama had been blantantly breaking the rules on the scale you are claiming. Would be easy to be caught and dropped the hammer on again.

Also odd that in 20+ season as a college head coach there was never a mis-step. Especially seeing all the coaches he went thru during that time.

Again im not naive to the fact that everyone cheats. But not on the scale you are claiming it to be.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I think we were better under the bowl system, when they were valued.

It's hard to argue that using opinion polls and bowl games to determine a National Champion is a better system than a playoff...but the old way was a whole lot of fun and frustration.

Bowl games mattered. The New Year's Day bowls really decided who was #1, but the smaller bowls let you compare conferences and strength of schedule.

It used to be meaningful to represent your conference in the smaller bowls, so it was exciting just to be in the mix. I doubt the outcome of the old Tangerine Bowl ever really affected who a pollster chose as #1, but it gave you an idea of how the Big Ten and SEC matched up which was fuel for the fire.

And that was part of the fun of the old system: the off-season arguments over who deserved to be voted #1 vs. who actually got the honors.

I'm really surprised the number of Bowl games has continued to expand. They don't seem to mean much to anyone, except for the fans of the teams and the degenerate gamblers. But I guess as long as the TV ratings justify ad revenue, they will remain.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Whatever your thoughts on "pretty much a done deal" i guess and mine are different. Pretty much done is Moore and the search committee liked him, were ready to make it happen, but the big money people said NO. Moore had gone from Step 1 to Step 5 without checking on steps 2-4 which were prominent Bama people and the people that would be paying that salary. Moore then had to save his tail, tell Rich Rod sorry, make some bogus statement.. and land a big name coach.. or he was out the door.

But facts are Rich Rod didnt pull out. Alabama pulled out. Anyone with any real knowledge of the situation knows this, but you wont see it written in any news outlet because the Bama people wont talk on it..... but anyone that believes the bogus BS that Rich Rod's wife nixed the deal... well, whatever.

Also again Saban hadnt turned alabama down. He refused to talk to anyone about any other job. There is a huge difference between getting told no and being told I dont want to talk right now.
Not sure why the semantics on this are so important to you. Saying his wife nixed the deal is just funny.

With college jobs, it's always hard to pin down whether an official offer was made, or which party backed out of a potential deal. We have one poster who provided a link to an article from 10 years after the fact saying an offer from Alabama was on the table. Then you, without any link, claim that anyone with inside knowledge knows the truth, they just still won't talk about it 18 years after the fact.

I know some pretty serious Alabama boosters from my time in Tuscaloosa. They all told me at the time that Rich Rod was the guy, but they weren't super excited about it since they kind of saw him as another Dennis Franchione.

None of this is relevant. All I said was Saban was not lying when he told the Miami media he would not be the head coach at Alabama.

Are you saying he WAS lying? Should I instead add this to my list of reasons to hate Saban?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Where does the hatred for Saban come from other than him acting in his own self-interest and winning?

Personally, I think Saban has earned the respect of college football fans a lot more than Kiffin. I would not lump them in the same category.

I hated Saban ten years ago just because he coached Alabama and won a lot, but towards the end of his career and now that he is retired, I have a lot of respect for him.

Can someone make the case as to why I should hate him?
Pretty much jealousy on my part…

He kicked our *** at LSU, he kicked out at Bama.

oh and I’m a dolphins fan, so the one place where you can say he was a failure is the only place I wanted him to succeed.

But with all that said, if I had a son that was super talented at football, I’d want him to play for saban, especially if he was a defensive player. I believe his track record speaks for itself when it comes to developing and getting the talent out of guys.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bama had some great stretches under the Bear. I think it could happen again. What the elite are doing now is no different than what they have done for decades when it comes to paying players, it's just above board now. I'd say it would be much easier for them to do now because of the portal, and the increased roster size on "scholarship." When one of them gets the right coach off they will go. If you want to see the model, look at European soccer. That's the closest thing to what college football is now, except they don't even have unlimited muted transfers for nothing EVERY year.
That's a pretty big "except". And the exact reason that there won't be another dynasty for good little while.

Now what WILL happen, is power will concentrate in the hands of about 16-20 big money programs, which was already happening, but wasn't susceptible to a dominating coach like Saban coming in and keeping players on his roster due to having to sit out a year.

Saying we'll never have another dynasty is dumb, because time is infinite and someone will eventually figure it out. But the odds of it anytime soon are low.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I dont. Seeing that the NCAA had no issues dropping the hammer on Alabama just a few year earlier. If Alabama had been blantantly breaking the rules on the scale you are claiming. Would be easy to be caught and dropped the hammer on again.

Also odd that in 20+ season as a college head coach there was never a mis-step. Especially seeing all the coaches he went thru during that time.

Again im not naive to the fact that everyone cheats. But not on the scale you are claiming it to be.
It is quite similar to lobbying congress in the way you work with the NCAA. Friendships, visits, a little business, and all the while Bama is doing things so far below the radar it looks like they are the model "student athlete university". Saban worked hard and worked his assistants hard and pushed and pushed and snapped mid game when he needed to get their attention (I am sure it was a measured act on his side). What he does get credit for is getting good players to play as good as they can. I will also give him credit for having 15 or so "life coaches" on payroll to be one-on-one full time dedicated mentors and therapists for his players. And the way they did the privacy/NDA on the offer to the families was unmatched in what the player would benefit from now and in the future. Plus he had the track record of getting players ready for the NFL, and most likely already had that info in the pitch to the family. We have a proven plan to get you to the NFL if you do your part, and oh yeah, you get to send all your kids to Bama for free, that is something Bryant started. And many more perks, heck, the cars driven by athletes those 17 years, its just like everyone at the NCAA looked the other way. It was not "directly from the school or from a booster"...

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It is quite similar to lobbying congress in the way you work with the NCAA. Friendships, visits, a little business, and all the while Bama is doing things so far below the radar it looks like they are the model "student athlete university". Saban worked hard and worked his assistants hard and pushed and pushed and snapped mid game when he needed to get their attention (I am sure it was a measured act on his side). What he does get credit for is getting good players to play as good as they can. I will also give him credit for having 15 or so "life coaches" on payroll to be one-on-one full time dedicated mentors and therapists for his players. And the way they did the privacy/NDA on the offer to the families was unmatched in what the player would benefit from now and in the future. Plus he had the track record of getting players ready for the NFL, and most likely already had that info in the pitch to the family. We have a proven plan to get you to the NFL if you do your part, and oh yeah, you get to send all your kids to Bama for free, that is something Bryant started. And many more perks, heck, the cars driven by athletes those 17 years, its just like everyone at the NCAA looked the other way. It was not "directly from the school or from a booster"...
So basically Alabama and Saban had a system that was set up for Players to Succeed... and it was within the rules.

And Saban smoozed all the right people so they'd look the other way when he was breaking the rules.

Totally disagree on the NDA stuff. If that were happening at Alabama it would be happening everywhere... and there is no way Alabama/Boosters/Saban would put anything of that substance in writing where there was a trail.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
Go listen to Tyler Siskey's pod from several months back. He had Rich Rod on. He told the story about what happened with Bama.

Speaking of coaches wives. The final run that Bama made at Saban was set up by Terry Saban. Nick had put them off for a while and then essentially turned the job down. Terry Saban called Mal Moore and told him when to be at their house in Miami. Coach Saban walked in the house one afternoon and Mal was there with Terry waiting for him. Thats when they finally got him to take the job.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That's a pretty big "except". And the exact reason that there won't be another dynasty for good little while.

Now what WILL happen, is power will concentrate in the hands of about 16-20 big money programs, which was already happening, but wasn't susceptible to a dominating coach like Saban coming in and keeping players on his roster due to having to sit out a year.

Saying we'll never have another dynasty is dumb, because time is infinite and someone will eventually figure it out. But the odds of it anytime soon are low.
Actually that is exactly why there WILL be another dynasty, almost immediately. The model we are under is oil money buying out the EPL.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Actually that is exactly why there WILL be another dynasty, almost immediately. The model we are under is oil money buying out the EPL.
First you say it’s like the EPL except the portal. Now you say the portal is the reason there will be an immediate dynasty.

Vintage L4.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login