What the CFP has shown us is the BCS was all we needed.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Almost all the semifinal games are blowouts. Only three of the now 15 semifinal games have been within single digits and the average margin of victory is more than 21 points. The top two teams are almost always head and shoulders above everyone else.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Almost all the semifinal games are blowouts. Only three of the now 15 semifinal games have been within single digits and the average margin of victory is more than 21 points. The top two teams are almost always head and shoulders above everyone else.

Disagree. The #4 team has won the whole damn thing twice in 8 years. But more often than not (including this year), there are 3 deserving teams and they have to scramble and just throw a 4th in there who probably isn’t up to snuff. Rarely have there been only 2 deserving teams. How would you have figured out who to kick out between UGA and Michigan this year?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They should have just expanded the BCS to a four team play off.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Would be a bigger blowout if that holding on the Michigan DB would have have been called. Ended up forcing a Georgia FG. “They” don’t want blowouts, but this looks inevitable.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
They should have just expanded the BCS to a four team play off.

My biggest crusade in life is to dispel the notion that the BCS calculation was in any way good. The 6 computer formulas included were not mathematically valid (for example, they were forbidden to use margin of victory in the formula!), and more importantly, only 1 of the 6 even made their formula public, so who even knows if they ever had a mistake.

The 1 public formula did have a mistake one time, which caused the BCS to have to amend their "final" rankings the next day. We'll never know if ever happened with the other 5.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My biggest crusade in life is to dispel the notion that the BCS calculation was in any way good. The 6 computer formulas included were not mathematically valid (for example, they were forbidden to use margin of victory in the formula!), and more importantly, only 1 of the 6 even made their formula public, so who even knows if they ever had a mistake.

The 1 public formula did have a mistake one time, which caused the BCS to have to amend their "final" rankings the next day. We'll never know if ever happened with the other 5.

BCS got it right all but one year. I just think it was better than 13 people getting in a closed room making the decision. They have their favorites.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Look at the money. It's the only thing the playoffs are about.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Doesn't the fact that #3 is kicking #2's *** right now directly disprove your point?

This is the 5th time in 8 years that the championship game will include either either the #3 or #4 team. You have to assume it would have happened some during the BCS Era too, but those teams never got the chance to prove it.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
BCS got it right all but one year. I just think it was better than 13 people getting in a closed room making the decision. They have their favorites.

We would have said the same thing in 2014 and 2017 if the BCS had been in place that year.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
You would’ve kicked out Georgia because Bama already kicked their *** this year. Bama vs Michigan for the Natty. Why should Georgia get a second chance?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You would’ve kicked out Georgia because Bama already kicked their *** this year. Bama vs Michigan for the Natty. Why should Georgia get a second chance?

1) Because they are a lot better football team than Michigan, as anyone who saw both teams play all year could obviously see. And that is being proven tonight.

2) Because the SEC Championship game isn’t a playoff game….it’s not a win or go home scenario in any official sense. The goal of any championship system is to pick the best however many teams….if those teams are in the same conference, then so be it.

People act like rematches for the national title are some novel phenomena that just started happening recently. Happened way back in 1996 with FSU and Florida State before the CFP or the BCS. The possibility is always going to be there under any system.

Last edited:

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012

Good luck with that, it did work.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The BCS would have had Bama and Michigan this year. Only 6 of 16 BCS games were single digits. More teams is better.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Good luck with that, it did work.

Had the BCS been in effect from 2014 through 2021, it would have failed to pick the 2 best teams in 5 of the 8 years, but we never would have known.

It's silly to think that it went 15/16 in 1998-2013 when it went 3/8 in 2014-2021.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
The OP has a point. Bama and Georgia have been the only 2 good teams all year. Anyone that has watched football already knew that. Tonight just proves what we all knew already. Michigan and Cincy are no better than 20 other teams.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
The BCS would have had Bama and Michigan this year. Only 6 of 16 BCS games were single digits. More teams is better.

I’m not so sure the BCS would have put Michigan in over Georgia. With 4 teams it’s easier not to worry about that but when there’s only two it could have come out correct with bama and Georgia

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The OP has a point. Bama and Georgia have been the only 2 good teams all year. Anyone that has watched football already knew that. Tonight just proves what we all knew already. Michigan and Cincy are no better than 20 other teams.

The BCS would have matched up Alabama and Michigan (assuming no mistakes in the Five Secret Polls), it would have been an Alabama blowout, and everyone would say "The BCS got it right again!!!"

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The BCS would have matched up Alabama and Michigan (assuming no mistakes in the Five Secret Polls), it would have been an Alabama blowout, and everyone would say "The BCS got it right again!!!"

If it was expanded to four teams Michigan, GA and Bama would have gotten in. Possibly not Cincinnati but ND.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
"Now...our operation is small, but there's *a lot* of potential for "aggressive" exapnsion..."

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
After today's performances, why should Michigan or Cincinnati get a chance?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
What an awful take. Surely you’re not being serious?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It’s not a secret formula. It would have been Bama and Michigan. In fact, the Top 7 between CFP committee and the BCS would have been the exact same this year. See link below:

https://fansided.com/2021/12/05/cfp-rankings-2021-bcs-comparison/amp/
Those are only projections because the Harris Poll doesn't exist anymore, but it's still probably correct.

The "secret formula" refers to 5 of the 6 computer polls that go into the formula don't have public, auditable formulas.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I’m serious. Almost all the semifinals are blowouts! That it fact. BCS was the best. Let’s go back to it. And yes, I’m drunk.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I’m serious. Almost all the semifinals are blowouts! That it fact. BCS was the best. Let’s go back to it. And yes, I’m drunk.
But they're not always blowouts by the #1 and #2 teams. Tonight we had a blowout by a #3 team that wouldn't have been in the BCS conversation, and a few years ago the #4 seed blew out the #1 team.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
But Bama already blew out Georgia. They should be the champs if they beat Michigan. Georgia shouldn’t get a second chance.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
But Bama already blew out Georgia. They should be the champs if they beat Michigan. Georgia shouldn’t get a second chance.

Why shouldn't they? Alabama gets a second chance after their [much worse] loss to Texas A&M.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
But they’re not playing A&M again. They’re playing Georgia. Who they already blew out. And I hate Bama. But it’s true.

Jddrew1142

Sep 9, 2015
I’ll just add to this conversation that reducing the playoffs is the worst idea. The NFL doesn’t choose the best team based on regular season for the superbowl.

Why is it that for years the FCS has had the right system? I watch more of their playoffs than i do any of the bowl games. Much more entertaining.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
It’s not a secret formula. It would have been Bama and Michigan. In fact, the Top 7 between CFP committee and the BCS would have been the exact same this year. See link below:

https://fansided.com/2021/12/05/cfp-rankings-2021-bcs-comparison/amp/

If I recall, and I could easily be wrong, either or both the AP and Coach’s poll were included in the formula. My point is when it’s only two teams the actual voters could go with the logical, or eyeball test and put Georgia in and likely would have. This was one of the only times I’ve ever pulled for a non SEC team. I wanted Michigan to go all the way because I like Harbaugh. But if I had to bet on it, I would have 100% said bama and Georgia, and that’s the way the BCS worked also.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Every NCAA basketball champion in history has come from the top 32 teams by seed (seeds 1-8 ). Since expansion to 64+ teams, 89% of champions were top 12 teams by seed (seeds 1-3). There are 68 teams in the tournament. What’s the problem?

engie

May 29, 2011
Every NCAA basketball champion in history has come from the top 32 teams by seed (seeds 1-8 ). Since expansion to 64+ teams, 89% of champions were top 12 teams by seed (seeds 1-3). There are 68 uteams in the tournament. What’s the problem?

the regular season with almost no stakes beyond in or out of the tournament that no one cares about is the problem.

College football had by far the most meaningful regular season of any sport. It’s already been diluted in the playoff. And apparently a majority of people wish to dilute it further. I guess in their ideal world they can tune in Nov1 and start caring about games, similar to the college basketball season for the vast majority of the people watching the tourney.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I can go along with this but no need for more than 4 team playoff other than money.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
You'll see less semi-final blowouts with an expanded playoff.

By going to 12 & giving the top 4 byes, the Cincinnatis & Michigan's would've been weeded out in the quarterfinals.

The predicament that the playoff currently has is: do they take the 4 best teams or 4 most deserving teams?

By going to 12, you get both. The most deserving Cincy & Michigan, get in while the other teams that are likely better than those two teams also get in.

Expanding the playoff is the right things to do.

1. Creates more meaningful regulars season games in Oct & Nov

2. Gets more teams & fan bases involved in the race, which is good for college football.

3. Creates more good playoff matchups when 12 travels to 5, 11 travels to 6, etc in the 1st round

4. Weeds out the deserving but not good teams that typically create these bad semi-final games while still giving those teams a chance.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Think about it like this
Cincy could have been UCF rev2 and claimed a championship if they didn't get the chance to prove that they would lose to bama like any of the other contenders.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login