What the Cowboys need to do with Dak out seems so incredibly obvious

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
They need to trade Zeke to the 49ers for Jimmy G.

The writing is on the wall for both these guys, they are both in their last season with their current team under just about any circumstances, and neither team is going to get anything in return for them if they hang onto them until next offseason.

To be competitive at all this season, Dallas has to find a QB for two months or so….maybe longer. Jimmy G is just going to be sitting on the bench. San Francisco is also in bad need of a durable RB. Eli Mitchell just got hurt (again) and is out multiple weeks. They are doing the undrafted RB tap dance again with Jeff Wilson and another guy (Mason). Both are probably fine players but not potential gamebreakers like Zeke. And Pollard has already proven to be a capable replacement for Zeke, and will be the future bellcow in 2023 and beyond.

Financially it makes sense, also. Zeke’s cap hit this year is $18 million, Jimmy G is $13 million. But, Dallas is $11 million under the cap, so they can cover some of that gap on Zeke’s end if needed. If he has a no trade clause, Zeke would likely waive it to be the featured RB in the premier rushing attack in the NFL that literally every other NFL coach (including Belechek) is trying to replicate. And obviously Jimmy G wants to play. Both teams can throw in late round draft picks or cash as required to get it done.

All that being said, Jerry Jones is involved, so I fully expect him to go a totally different and stupid direction.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I really hope Dak is the one that gets the hell out of Big D.

Used to love the Dallas Cowboys.

Then Jerrah happened. Now I loathe the Star. 17 dem.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Jeruh said this morning they arent putting Dak on IR

Again, refer to final paragraph. There is your different, stupid direction. Players can return from IR after 4 weeks now, and can return twice in one season. Absolutely zero chance Dak is back to anything close to 100% sooner than that.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Garappolo has a no trade clause plus a compensatory 3rd round pick attached to him so the 49ers wouldn’t let him go without getting better than that in a trade. No way the Cowboys give up a 2nd round pick or better to get him. Also the 49ers aren’t going to trade a QB that’s taken them to the super bowl when they’re testing the water with an unproven guy like Trey Lance. If Lance doesn’t work out they can just go back to Jimmy.

And why would Jimmy want to go to a team where he’ll probably only play for 4-5 weeks? Not to mention Dallas’ OL is in total shambles. No way he would waive his no trade clause to go to that situation

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Dak was getting destroyed behind that O line. Jimmy G would say no thanks using his no trade clause card and collect his money sitting on the SF bench.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
I really hope Dak is the one that gets the hell out of Big D.

Used to love the Dallas Cowboys.

Then Jerrah happened. Now I loathe the Star. 17 dem.

I bet Dak does not see it the same way. His brand is worth a lot more as the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Won't happen. But here's what the Cowboys should actually do: Tank

-Tank and get a top 5 pick and two in the top 40. They should also have 3 mid round comp picks in 23' for free agents they lost this year.

- Tank and end up with a much easier schedule in 23'.

- Tank to have grounds to fire fat *** and bring in Sean Payton.

-Tank and cut Tyron Smith and Zeke to free up $20+ million in cap space for a solid LT and another piece like tight end or safety. (Don't think you can cut DLaw until 24' unfortunately.)

-Use those top picks to get a couple of premium players at WR, CB, or Edge Rusher... Would love to go full tank and get to the top of the draft to snag Will Anderson from Alabama.

-Use the middle rounds to build interior OL and DL depth and a Sean Payton type of RB.

-Enter 2023 with a good OL, depth at WR, a running back with fresh legs, a healthy Dak, a kick-*** coach, and a defense with 2 stud pass rushers and ball hawking DB's that will make every QB in the leagues ******* pucker. That's a team that could make noise....

I expect non of it to happen though. Dallas is going to be in 6-9 win purgatory until the Jones clan gets the hell out of the way and we probably end up looking at Dak's career like many look back in Archie Manning's career.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Garappolo has a no trade clause plus a compensatory 3rd round pick attached to him so the 49ers wouldn’t let him go without getting better than that in a trade. No way the Cowboys give up a 2nd round pick or better to get him. Also the 49ers aren’t going to trade a QB that’s taken them to the super bowl when they’re testing the water with an unproven guy like Trey Lance. If Lance doesn’t work out they can just go back to Jimmy.

And why would Jimmy want to go to a team where he’ll probably only play for 4-5 weeks? Not to mention Dallas’ OL is in total shambles. No way he would waive his no trade clause to go to that situation

They aren’t going back to Jimmy in San Francisco. They have way too much draft capital tied up in Lance….they traded a ton of picks to move up and select him 3rd overall. He’s Shanahan’s hand picked guy that they are going to sink or swim with….and they literally restructured Jimmy G’s contract to help make him more marketable for a trade. If he wants to play for a potentially contending team, this is his chance. He will still hit free agency next year either way, so he’s not going to be stuck there.

As for Dallas, they can throw in the 2nd or 3rd round pick if San Francisco throws in something else (like a good backup OL), or if they agree to take on all of Zeke’s salary so they can have more cap room to trade for other pieces before the deadline. There’s multiple ways to make it work. San Francisco would be less desperate than Dallas, but if you are Jerry you at least have to make the call and make your best offer.

Last edited:

msudawg200

Feb 1, 2012
Our thoughts are completely aligned. 100% they should tank. This season was never going to be special anyways with how they addressed FA. Add recent injuries to two of their best players, and it would be foolish to continue to chase this season.

And hey, if they somehow were 3-4 or better when Dak returned, then they could still conceivably chase this year, but I suspect it will be more like 1-6 or maybe 2-5.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Garappolo wouldn’t waive his no trade to play for a ****** team with no OL for 4-5 weeks

First off, regardless of what Jerry’s dumbass says, it will probably be way more than 4-5 games. See Russell Wilson last year. Came back way early and threw ducks for like 3 weeks. And that was for his middle finger, not the thumb which is way more critical for gripping the ball.

Secondly, if he wouldn’t waive the clause, then he really interested in playing football, then. Vegas set the O/U for Dallas wins at 10.5 before the Dak injury. Regardless of what you might think, they aren’t a ****** team with no prospects of a good season. They also have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. You are talking about them like they are the Jets.

ETA: PFF ranked Dallas as the 6th best OL for 2022, and San Francisco 14th. This was before the Tyron Smith injury, so Dallas does slide back a bit to more middle of the pack, but there isn’t some massive OL downgrade when going from San Francisco to Dallas. At worst, they are about even.

Last edited:

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
His personal brand is going to take a big hit, if he continues to play for a loser. Right now he's in the best position to take his brand somewhere else and hopefully find a winner.

He's already made a mint. He needs a SuperBowl and a shot at the HOF. He's not going to get that in Dallas. EVER.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The probably need to go get a B or C list qb that's out there like they had with Dalton. Rush will be crushed worse than dak.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
His personal brand is going to take a big hit, if he continues to play for a loser. Right now he's in the best position to take his brand somewhere else and hopefully find a winner.

He's already made a mint. He needs a SuperBowl and a shot at the HOF. He's not going to get that in Dallas. EVER.

I'll be the one to say it and catch the downvotes: Dak is not a HOF QB.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Definitely not right now. No playoff wins. His numbers were good his first year and started off good before season ending injury two years ago . Then last year was good until he slumped.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The definition is pretty self-explanatory. I don't think Eli Manning deserves it either, but I doubt they'll listen to me. And I agree with Drebin, Dak's a good QB, but not a HOF QB.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The definition is pretty self-explanatory. I don't think Eli Manning deserves it either, but I doubt they'll listen to me. And I agree with Drebin, Dak's a good QB, but not a HOF QB.

I brought up Eli because I didn’t know if the discussion of whether he WILL be a HOF QB vs. whether he SHOULD be a HOF QB. If he plays 10 more years, averages 4700-5000 yards per year, 35-40 TD’s per year, and less than 15 INT’s per year….there’s a good chance he gets in even with no SB rings. All of that is very achievable if he stays healthy.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
HOF can be pretty subjective, but a critical factor is Playoff wins and SuperBowl victories. Dak's numbers behind a good OL were fantastic, definitely HOF type stats.

But he is not getting HOF consideration without key wins in meaningful games. He will not get meaningful games in Dallas.

Dak has HOF potential but he needs to be with a better franchise and coaching staff.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If he comes in and plays great Dallas may be forced to keep him. Non telling how long dak might actually be out

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I brought up Eli because I didn’t know if the discussion of whether he WILL be a HOF QB vs. whether he SHOULD be a HOF QB. If he plays 10 more years, averages 4700-5000 yards per year, 35-40 TD’s per year, and less than 15 INT’s per year….there’s a good chance he gets in even with no SB rings. All of that is very achievable if he stays healthy.

I'm not hating on Dak. It's just my opinion that if he played 12 more years he wouldn't sniff HOF. He's just not that kind of QB. The argument can be made that his best days are behind him. I don't think Eli is a HOF QB either, but he did win two rings and it's not like he was just along for the ride on those teams.

A lot of people will misrepresent this as me hating on Dak. Nothing could be further from the truth. I wish he could take that next step. I just don't see it. And I don't think it would matter if he went and quarterbacked the Rams or the Cardinals.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not hating on Dak. It's just my opinion that if he played 12 more years he wouldn't sniff HOF. He's just not that kind of QB. The argument can be made that his best days are behind him. I don't think Eli is a HOF QB either, but he did win two rings and it's not like he was just along for the ride on those teams.

A lot of people will misrepresent this as me hating on Dak. Nothing could be further from the truth. I wish he could take that next step. I just don't see it. And I don't think it would matter if he went and quarterbacked the Rams or the Cardinals.

He still has a ways to go in his career either way. But generally you’d be right way more than wrong about betting on any QB to not make the HOF.

This site has a HOF monitor for all QB’s to play in the modern era….and does a great job of giving every QB a rating based on their overall career stats and accomplishments.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm

Dak currently sits at a 33.13 rating. Others of note are below:

Mahomes - 59.58 (highest rated of the current QB’s under 30)
Jim Kelly - 59.10 (lowest rated member of HOF)
Average rating of all HOF members - 109
Eli Manning - 85.01
Troy Aikman - 64.28
Tony Romo - 45.78

So yeah, he’s still got a ways to go. Will need a few first team all-pro selections and/or SB appearances to get serious consideration. Guess we’ll see what happens.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Well his last name is manning. That helps him. He also won two Super Bowls. His numbers were decent most of career. All those factors will get him in. Mostly the first two.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012

Could not disagree more.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
What Jerry needs to do is apologize to Jimmy and pay him whatever it takes to get him back and then stay outta his way.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
What Jerry needs to do is apologize to Jimmy and pay him whatever it takes to get him back and then stay outta his way.

That's actually something Jerry would be dumb enough to do. Jimmy would be 80 years old before the start of next season and will be taking naps at practice and pissing in a bottle on the sidelines due to urinary incontinence. It's bad enough to have old farts ruining politics, let's keep them out of football... On a side note Belichick and Saban are both 70 this year and the cracks are showing.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They will get Sean Payton in a year or two and a Payton will structure the team like he did with the saints and win big. Dak may not be apart of that but time will tell. Just gut feeling that's what is going to happen.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Won't happen. But here's what the Cowboys should actually do: Tank

-Tank and get a top 5 pick and two in the top 40. They should also have 3 mid round comp picks in 23' for free agents they lost this year.

- Tank and end up with a much easier schedule in 23'.

- Tank to have grounds to fire fat *** and bring in Sean Payton.

-Tank and cut Tyron Smith and Zeke to free up $20+ million in cap space for a solid LT and another piece like tight end or safety. (Don't think you can cut DLaw until 24' unfortunately.)

-Use those top picks to get a couple of premium players at WR, CB, or Edge Rusher... Would love to go full tank and get to the top of the draft to snag Will Anderson from Alabama.

-Use the middle rounds to build interior OL and DL depth and a Sean Payton type of RB.

-Enter 2023 with a good OL, depth at WR, a running back with fresh legs, a healthy Dak, a kick-*** coach, and a defense with 2 stud pass rushers and ball hawking DB's that will make every QB in the leagues ******* pucker. That's a team that could make noise....

I expect non of it to happen though. Dallas is going to be in 6-9 win purgatory until the Jones clan gets the hell out of the way and we probably end up looking at Dak's career like many look back in Archie Manning's career.

You can't use the top picks for players and get Sean Payton. Sean will most likely cost them 2 1st round picks

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You can't use the top picks for players and get Sean Payton. Sean will most likely cost them 2 1st round picks

The Bucs got Arians by swapping 6th and 7th round picks a couple of years ago. Holmgren went to Seattle for a second rounder. That's probably a better comp for SP.

Payton holds the cards. Not Gayle or Mickey. They either get nothing or what Payton is willing to give up. Nobody is going to do the old Gruden trade anymore. Definitely more than Arians, but not multiple first round picks. Payton wouldn't be dumb enough to give that up would he? At most 1 first rounder, but probably less than that... it was already done a few years ago until Anthony Davis wanted to be traded.

I wouldn't give a first round pick for any coach. But Jerry is the ultimate **********, so it's definitely on the radar. Dak and SP together for 10 years in the biggest coach and QB contracts ever with no 1st or 2nd round picks until 2033 is probably much more likely than what I proposed. The ultimate Jerry move to 17 everyone.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If he comes in and plays great Dallas may be forced to keep him. Non telling how long dak might actually be out

Dak has a $50 million cap hit next season. There is no way they would keep Garropolo in 2023. He’ll be able to get a minimum $15-$20 million on the open market….so you’d be looking at $70 million they would have to pay for 1 of 22 positions on the field to keep both.

Furthermore, Garropolo has the 3rd round pick attached to him for whenever he leaves in free agency. Therefore, Dallas would likely have to trade a 3rd round pick or higher to San Francisco (along with whatever other players are under consideration). That’s not a big deal for Dallas if Garropolo goes somewhere else in 2023 after being a rental while Dak is out, because then it would be Dallas that gets a 3rd round pick back from whatever team signs JG. But if for whatever reason he stayed, they would essentially lose the pick and a bunch of money.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
The Bucs got Arians by swapping 6th and 7th round picks a couple of years ago. Holmgren went to Seattle for a second rounder. That's probably a better comp for SP.

Payton holds the cards. Not Gayle or Mickey. They either get nothing or what Payton is willing to give up. Nobody is going to do the old Gruden trade anymore. Definitely more than Arians, but not multiple first round picks. Payton wouldn't be dumb enough to give that up would he? At most 1 first rounder, but probably less than that... it was already done a few years ago until Anthony Davis wanted to be traded.

I wouldn't give a first round pick for any coach. But Jerry is the ultimate **********, so it's definitely on the radar. Dak and SP together for 10 years in the biggest coach and QB contracts ever with no 1st or 2nd round picks until 2033 is probably much more likely than what I proposed. The ultimate Jerry move to 17 everyone.

The saints hold the cards, not Sean. They don't have to trade him, and they won't for less than a 1st. Why would they just take whatever for him to go to another nfc team? They won't.

ETA... I think chargers might be the team to watch if they don't have a good season.

ETA2...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-world-reacts-to-the-sean-payton-trade-speculation/ar-AATiNAE

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The saints hold the cards, not Sean. They don't have to trade him, and they won't for less than a 1st. Why would they just take whatever for him to go to another nfc team? They won't.

ETA... I think chargers might be the team to watch if they don't have a good season.

ETA2...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-the-sean-payton-trade-speculation/ar-AATiNAE

They would take whatever because they get nothing if he never coaches again. If he wants to go to Dallas in 2023 and says “I’m doing this if it doesn’t cost my new team too much….Saints, you can have a 2nd round pick or I’m just gonna stay retired and you get jack ****”. The Saints would be dumb as hell to turn that down for a team that’s not in their division.

It’s not like they are going to fire Allen and rehire him….the ship has sailed. They need to take what they can get, when they can get it. The price is only going to go down as he gets older.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login