What the Cowboys need to do with Dak out seems so incredibly obvious

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
They would take whatever because they get nothing if he never coaches again. If he wants to go to Dallas in 2023 and says “I’m doing this if it doesn’t cost my new team too much….Saints, you can have a 2nd round pick or I’m just gonna stay retired and you get jack ****”. The Saints would be dumb as hell to turn that down for a team that’s not in their division.

Guess we'll find out who's right. The saints can afford to wait on a more desperate team. Sean already said he wants to coach again, so the word is out. Sean's career is over unless the saints allow it continue, so they most certainly hold the cards.

I think the saints ask for the gruden package that mortenson reported, but end up taking a 1st and a 3rd

patdog

May 28, 2007
Payton has a lot more to lose by not coming to an agreement than the Saints do if he wants to coach again.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Payton has a lot more to lose by not coming to an agreement than the Saints do if he wants to coach again.

And another thing to consider is the saints have his staff right now. If Sean leaves, they have to worry about Sean poaching those back. Also, since Sean will want a lot of GM responsibilities, I'd expect him to pursue Jeff Ireland out the saints' FO

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Well his last name is manning. That helps him. He also won two Super Bowls. His numbers were decent most of career. All those factors will get him in. Mostly the first two.

The first SB he won in the 2007-2008 season, on the season he completed 56% of his passes for 23 TD’s and 20 picks. Only 3300 yards. The Giants had a great defense and running game that year….they won in spite of Eli.

His second one, he had a much better year. Almost 5000 yards and completed 62% of his passes. So he was a lot more involved in that one.

To me, with any HOF candidate….if you point to one single play going differently in a a single game of their career, and be able to say that if it did go differently that they wouldn’t even be considered for the HOF…..then they simply don’t have a strong enough resume to get in. You can do that quite easily with Eli. If David Tyree doesn’t make that miracle catch in the 2008 SB on a ball that was thrown completely up for grabs by Eli, then there’s no way he gets in. He’d be just another Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, or Brad Johnson….an average QB with a ring.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Guess we'll find out who's right. The saints can afford to wait on a more desperate team. Sean already said he wants to coach again, so the word is out.

I think his contract is up after 2024 anyway and they don't get jack. That's Payton's leverage. Word is he only wants to go to Dallas, San Diego, or Miami. I know a couple of years ago, Dallas was supposed to be getting him for a 2nd rounder.... But Gayle Benson didn't want to lose Anthony Davis and Sean Payton in the same year. So the Cowboys brought Garrett back for a year and Payton signed an extension.

But who knows, maybe inflation is truly everywhere.***

I have a sneaking suspicion that Payton knows something and has some kind of leverage in this whole deal, he was in NO a long time and probably buried a lot of bodies for the Benson's. At the end of the day, I expect Jerry to royally 17 it up no matter how it shakes out. Either by only offering a 3rd or something for SP and having him land somewhere else or to give up way too much and get him.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
I think his contract is up after 2024 anyway and they don't get jack. That's Payton's leverage. Word is he only wants to go to Dallas, San Diego, or Miami. I know a couple of years ago, Dallas was supposed to be getting him for a 2nd rounder.... But Gayle Benson didn't want to lose Anthony Davis and Sean Payton in the same year. So the Cowboys brought Garrett back for a year and Payton signed an extension.

But who knows, maybe inflation is truly everywhere.***

I have a sneaking suspicion that Payton knows something and has some kind of leverage in this whole deal, he was in NO a long time and probably buried a lot of bodies for the Benson's. At the end of the day, I expect Jerry to royally 17 it up no matter how it shakes out. Either by only offering a 3rd or something for SP and having him land somewhere else or to give up way too much and get him.

The contract doesn't end. It's dormant

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Not if he actually wants to keep coaching. He loses a hell of a lot if he gets fired in 2 years because the franchise was set back half a decade by lost 1st round draft picks from his hire.

If he does want to coach again, it’s in everybody’s best interest for the Saints to trade him to a team outside their division for one moderately high pick, or multiple 2nd day picks. So that’s what I expect to happen. Occam’s razor and what not.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If he wants to coach again, it would never reach the point of getting fired in 2 years if he can't reach an agreement with the Saints. He'd never get the first year, much less the second. But I agree, if he wants to coach again, the two side will work out a reasonable deal that won't be a 7th round pick and won't be 2 1st round picks.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The contract doesn't end. It's dormant

That's not how it works. After 2024 he's a free agent so to speak. The contract terminates in the calendar year not the number of seasons coached.

The Saints technically hold his rights until 2024 if Payton wants to return to coaching. Should another team want to sign him during that time span, they would have to “compensate” NOLA somehow, whether through draft picks or money.

https://whodatdish.com/2022/01/25/saints-sean-payton-contact/

However, Payton will still be under contract for the next three years despite leaving. As such, if he wants to return to the NFL in 2023, the Saints will still own his rights for at least another season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/sean-payton-leaving-saints-cowboys-bears/k3rwpnm1tc4r1lce2fvo439hf

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
That's not how it works. After 2024 he's a free agent so to speak. The contract terminates in the calendar year not the number of seasons coached.

The Saints technically hold his rights until 2024 if Payton wants to return to coaching. Should another team want to sign him during that time span, they would have to “compensate” NOLA somehow, whether through draft picks or money.

https://whodatdish.com/2022/01/25/saints-sean-payton-contact/

However, Payton will still be under contract for the next three years despite leaving. As such, if he wants to return to the NFL in 2023, the Saints will still own his rights for at least another season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/sean-payton-leaving-saints-cowboys-bears/k3rwpnm1tc4r1lce2fvo439hf

Looks like you're correct. I guess the cowboys can wait on em till after 2024

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Looks like you're correct. I guess the cowboys can wait on em till after 2024

I don't think that will happen fyi. I have always thought Jerry would rather win the negotiation than anything else and he's going to fart around and lose Sean Payton.

If San Diego doesn't go deep into the playoffs this year, it would be awful hard not to see Payton with the Bolts in 2023. Probably worth a first rounder and something else to everyone involved if that happens.

Justin Herbert may end up being as good as any QB not named Mahomes over the next 10 years. If you can coach Mahomes, Herbert, or Allen, it's like getting Brady, Rodgers, Brees, or Manning 15-20 years ago. If I were putting money on it I would say SP to SD in 23'.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
What the heck is this supposed to mean?

He was a hitman of course.**

I was actually referring to bountygate. Payton carried that weight and missed an entire year without pay. Tom Benson came out with less than a wrist slap. I always assumed Benson never fired him because over it because Payton kept his mouth shut.

Maybe Benson really was clean, but it's a hell of a stretch to imagine a billionaire NFL owner telling his coach to shut down an illegal program and the coach not doing it, covering it up, and still keeping his job after getting busted. I mean Benson could have lost the franchise over it and he didn't fire Loomis or Payton. Seems like there's some kind of leverage, but it's just conjecture on my part.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login