What was the worst call of the night?

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
refs were so bad that the game announcers, the sideline reporter and the studio announcers were all laughing and joking about it. My throat still hurts from screaming at the tv.

Reactions: Grover777

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
refs were so bad that the game announcers, the sideline reporter and the studio announcers were all laughing and joking about it. My throat still hurts from screaming at the tv.
You know things are corrupt when the best team in the country is playing on the road against an unranked team and the officials aren’t cheating to win the game for #1, they are cheating to keep it from getting within 10 points

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have never, ever, seen a roughing the passer flag picked up after actual roughing the passer was committed. If that was Stetson Bennett.. does anyone think that flag gets picked up?

And the fumble that the refs blew dead. Absolutely unexplainable.

We should get another one of those fine apology letters again. Wheel keeps spinning.. on to the screwings later.
It's a good thing you guys weren't on the board last night or you would've been told you were being a homer because all those calls were legit.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I forced myself to go through the calls I noticed in person.
-The fumble should've been our ball. The "forward progress" call felt like protecting UGA, but could've been incompetence. (UGA +3)
-The non-intentional grounding was horrific. The QB never even got close to leaving the tackle box. (UGA +7)
-The missed block in the back/clipping on the long TD run wasn't as bad as I thought, but still should've been called. No points awarded as they looked like they were going to run it down our throats to start the 2nd half.
-The Forbes roughing the kicker was correct (I thought it was running into at the time).
-The Forbes PI wasn't as weak as I thought, but should've been waved off as an uncatchable ball. It came out like a duck and hit the ground three yards in front of the receiver. (UGA +4, assuming a FG instead)
-The actual worst miss was on a blitz where their lineman spun our blitzer around with a jersey grab as he ran by, then shoved him in the back so he skidded face-first next to their QB. The ref watched the whole thing. (UGA + 7)

Take 21 points off the board and we may not win, but it's absolutely a different ballgame, and one our players deserved a chance to win.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Mine was the PI against Forbes. 2nd was the no intentional grounding.
I didn't have "one call" that really stood out. The body of work by this crew was reminiscent of a lesser experienced crew. Those crews have a tendency to give the "better team" the benefit of the doubt in calls. I say that having seen this mostly in basketball

That said, penalties and mistakes have to be reduced and overcome in order to win games. I don't like to dwell on them, as I prefer to think that these things balance out during the course of a game.

What I don't like is a bunch of flags flying in the last 2:00 of a game that's tied or really damned close where the refs are suddenly a factor in the outcome -- or worse -- suddenly pivoting on what has been previously been consistently called throughout the course of the game.

WHK

Nov 14, 2022
While it does seem that all the bad calls went against us, the roughing the punter against GA when the GA player never actually touched our punter was pretty bad too.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
While it does seem that all the bad calls went against us, the roughing the punter against GA when the GA player never actually touched our punter was pretty bad too.
You’re incredibly wrong about this. The contact was minimal, but prevented our punter from landing, causing the wild spin and crash to the ground. You could argue this was more “running into” rather than roughing…. But there was 100% contact that prevented Georgopolous from landing that foot.

Reactions: Darryl Steight
Aug 3, 2011
A terrible non-call that I haven't seen mentioned: Georgia was 3rd and 10 and completed a post route for about 30 yards to about our 20 yard line. Jaden Crumedy was absolutely raped as he closed in on the QB. No holding call.
I am pretty sure that is the one he was mugged and then shoved in the back after he still beat the guy. Watching it live I have no idea how it wasn’t at the very least block in the back.

Reactions: lanceharbor7

lanceharbor7

Feb 24, 2008
A terrible non-call that I haven't seen mentioned: Georgia was 3rd and 10 and completed a post route for about 30 yards to about our 20 yard line. Jaden Crumedy was absolutely raped as he closed in on the QB. No holding call.
Saw that one. infuriating. also par for the course.

WHK

Nov 14, 2022
You’re incredibly wrong about this. The contact was minimal, but prevented our punter from landing, causing the wild spin and crash to the ground. You could argue this was more “running into” rather than roughing…. But there was 100% contact that prevented Georgopolous from landing that foot.
Have you read the rule book regarding running into or ruffing the punter? I have as I have officiated football for 30 years and there is nothing about preventing the punter from landing after the punt.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Have you read the rule book regarding running into or ruffing the punter? I have as I have officiated football for 30 years and there is nothing about preventing the punter from landing after the punt.
You said he didn’t touch our punter. He did.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Not sure if it was mentioned, but on their really long end around run that went for 6, our DB was blocked in the back as he went in for the tackle. Square in the back. Only person close to the play. The flag should have been thrown. Should have been a penalty from that spot.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007

Wouldn't this rule cover his landing after the punt? He is coming down on his plant foot while his kicking foot is still in the air. That would mean that he would have to have a place to land.

Roughing the kicker is a 15-yard penalty that’s assessed against the defense if a defender contacts the plant leg of a kicker while his kicking leg is in the air.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login