What will determine upvote/downvote on Arnett? (Poll)

What will determine your upvote/downvote on Arnett?

• Offensive Coordinator Hire

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Signing Day/Season Success

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Media Appearances/Demeanor between now and next season

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Next Season's Record

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Next Year's Egg Bowl

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

CFLDawg

Nov 29, 2014
I'm curious what will determine your personal feelings about the Arnett hire? So many options to consider...

Reactions: cytubb

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I was in the process of typing the quote” I’m ride or ___” but that seemed in poor taste but I stand with coach Arnett just like I did with coach Leach. I love their similarities tough, comfortable in their skin, demanding and have clear vision of what they want to accomplish.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Mullen and Leach have set the standard for us in the modern era. If he has similar success to those two, he can be the head coach here for a long time.

Reactions: AFDawg

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
I believe that normally a new coach gets an unfair share of the credit if his first-year team is successful and an unfair share of the blame if his first-year team is unsuccessful. Coach Arnett's situation is, of course, unique. Everyone was optimistic about next season under Coach Leach so the optimism transfers to Coach Arnett--good record next season equals upvote, bad record equals downvote.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You better get on it son! You got one year show me you know what you doing or you're out of here.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Certainly not the OC hire unless he hires a wishbone guy which we know won't happen. Next year will tell the tale.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
There is a large part of me that believes the next 24 months is important due to to the abrupt nature of what the program is experiencing in totally unforeseen change. Some have stated that good leaders have emergency plans for all siutations; however, I am of the opinion that we are in "unchartered waters" as a program.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Despite his win/loss record knowing that some odd bounces of the ball can lead to a result you didn’t expect, I think you’ll be able to tell if he is in over his head or if he is head coach material pretty quickly.

It was more than obvious after a couple of weeks that Sloppy Joe or Croom weren’t what we were looking for. We just unfortunately had to hold on to Croom for 5 years to get the NCAA to find someone else to inspect.

Reactions: was21

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
He’s holding together the recruiting class, including the big QB commit so that’s a great start. Mike Leach certainly seemed good at identifying coaching talent and I hope that trend will continue with Arnett. I was proud to have Coach Leach, a guy who had been around so long and had connections everywhere. He was able to build a great staff without having to sniff Bama’s butt. I would love nothing more than to see Arnett, Huepel, and other Leach tree coaches carry that legacy forward and write a new chapter in SEC football history that doesn’t run through Nick Saban.

Reactions: cytubb

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
None of the above, for me. It will be much more subjective, and just a question of whether he can keep the program moving in the right direction.

Recruitimg is going to take a little hit. Even if he holds this class together, he is not going to get the same interest from QBs and receivers that Leach got. But it shouldn’t be disastrous

OC decision is huge but cannot really be judged until the season.

Season performance is where the rubber meets the road, but I can’t hang things on the final WL record. He is going to make some mistakes as a first time head coach, and we don’t know what surprises we may face.

I guess if we don’t make a bowl game next year I will be very concerned.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll be another none of the above. I’ll give him a pass on next year, I’ll judge him on 2024. There’s too many variables next year for me. First year as a head coach, he’s going to make some rookie mistakes, it’s unavoidable. The players are going to try him, they’re going to test the limits of what they can do and what’s expected from them. The raw emotion of Leach’s death will wear off and I expect a lull at some point. Even though he’s been here for three years there’s going to be a period of adjustment.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login