What's our "The Play" in football?

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I feel like it has to be between those 3.

Bulldogs Recover!!!
He meant to kick that baby.
Dak stiff arm.

if I ever have a man cave I want that shot of Dak stiff arm in as big a picture as they make. I was there. Raising hell. Epic.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You had to experience how bad MSU football was before 1974 to appreciate this one but Rockey Felker's drive and score at the end of the Memphis State game in 1974 was the play that changed State football more than any one play in my memory.
Listening to Jack call that drive as a kid was the day I became a Mississippi State fan.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Probably going to depend on your age. I'm early 40s and it's the Dak stiff arm for me.

But my personal favorites are big returns. Anthony Johnson vs. Bama, Banks vs. Tebow, Pegues in the 07 egg bowl... I love the big TD returns.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Listening to Jack call that drive as a kid was the day I became a Mississippi State fan.
Myself and two friends ( all just out of school) went to the game. We sat beside a lady and her two daughters. We had a large time and drank a lot of whiskey, The lady was a good sport. When Rockey scored my buddies grabbed each other and fell on the people in front of them I grabbed the lady and we jumped up and down cheering. She didn't tell us who she was until the game was over, Mrs Jack Cristil.......we were completely awe-struck . Very good times

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's been 43 years since the Alabama fumble. Let's put it in the archives section. Call it "The Play Emeritus" since I know how much it meant at the time. But...

Half of us were too young to watch or not even born. The other half of you were too old when it happened to remember it the next day... It's closer to Ole Miss's national titles than present day.

This is The Play. This was the start of the greatest 7 weeks of football any of us have ever experienced. And a breakout moment for this entire generation of Bulldog fans.

dak prescott bulldog GIF by Mississippi State Athletics

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Jeffery Simmons intimidating the entire lsu team during warmups before the 17 game has to get an honorable mention.

Reactions: mst8

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
It's not "The Play" but it's pretty high up my list of favorite plays: The Don Smith keeper against Tennessee in 1986. The Vols were held in pretty high regard after pounding No. 2 Miami in the Sugar Bowl the previous year, so the Game 2 win felt pretty big. I was a sophomore, and we were pretty full of ourselves when we were 6-1 and in the Top 20. Then we lost the last four games 144-12, and I learned what it was like to be a State fan.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
It’s either the 4th and 15 completion to Kevin cooper or the field goal at the end because it still remains to this day the only time a team from Mississippi punched their ticket to the SEC championship and after 2024 that sec west championship could stand forever because they are getting rid of divisions.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Myself and two friends ( all just out of school) went to the game. We sat beside a lady and her two daughters. We had a large time and drank a lot of whiskey, The lady was a good sport. When Rockey scored my buddies grabbed each other and fell on the people in front of them I grabbed the lady and we jumped up and down cheering. She didn't tell us who she was until the game was over, Mrs Jack Cristil.......we were completely awe-struck . Very good times
I was at the 74 game too. My Dad and I went together. Special night indeed.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It's been 43 years since the Alabama fumble. Let's put it in the archives section. Call it "The Play Emeritus" since I know how much it meant at the time. But...

Half of us were too young to watch or not even born. The other half of you were too old when it happened to remember it the next day... It's closer to Ole Miss's national titles than present day.

This is The Play. This was the start of the greatest 7 weeks of football any of us have ever experienced. And a breakout moment for this entire generation of Bulldog fans.

dak prescott bulldog GIF by Mississippi State Athletics
Sorry Poo, I remember that fumble on November the first 1980 at about 3:30 in the afternoon like it was yesterday. In fact, I still have a recording of it in my dest drawer. I still drag it out and listen to it about once a year. BTW, a little digging will show that all those Rebel Nattys were fake news.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I feel like it has to be between those 3.

Bulldogs Recover!!!
He meant to kick that baby.
Dak stiff arm.

if I ever have a man cave I want that shot of Dak stiff arm in as big a picture as they make. I was there. Raising hell. Epic.
I have a numbered print of the stiff arm actually signed by Dak himself (with verification certificate) framed and hanging in my RV. Bought it a few years ago at the silent auction at a basketball game in the Hump. Yes, it’s cool.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It’s either the 4th and 15 completion to Kevin cooper or the field goal at the end because it still remains to this day the only time a team from Mississippi punched their ticket to the SEC championship and after 2024 that sec west championship could stand forever because they are getting rid of divisions.

Set an hour at this game and let you know how our marketing was it that point I had no idea that this game was for a possible SEC West championship. All that we knew was that we were having a good season. Great day.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It's the goal line fumble recovery to beat #1 Bama in 1980.

After not moving the ball all game, they were marching down the field with ease. I wasn't there (but listening on the radio) I knew Bama would score. What a miraculous moment and huge win.

Bama through the 70s was winning at the rate of Sabans Bama teams. It was a gigantic win.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's not "The Play" but it's pretty high up my list of favorite plays: The Don Smith keeper against Tennessee in 1986. The Vols were held in pretty high regard after pounding No. 2 Miami in the Sugar Bowl the previous year, so the Game 2 win felt pretty big. I was a sophomore, and we were pretty full of ourselves when we were 6-1 and in the Top 20. Then we lost the last four games 144-12, and I learned what it was like to be a State fan.

My dad and future wife were on the way to a family wedding listening to that game somewhere just over the state line from MS into AL around Waynesboro. We were running behind to get to the wedding and the radio station was fading fast. We turned around and drove back toward Waynesboro so we could finish listening to it w/out static. We didn't get to see the wedding processional but caught the "I do's"

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The real answer: Clint Stoener setting the ball on the ground and leaving it there. It put us in the SEC West Championship. What should have been our play would have been KP's return in the SEC CG. We just couldn't capitalize.

I think Dak's stiff arm is the right answer for now. What's a little sad is we don't have a clear "the play" because we've never capitalized and finished strong after one. We just hire a DC for the Orange Bowl and show up and win and Dak's stiff arm is a lot better. The way we fell off at the end of the season just soured that. Some of it was we just lost two safeties we couldn't afford to lose, but not being ready for an option attack when we had weeks to prepare is just a brutal way to finish the season.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Times have changed since Hazelwood's kick against AR. I was at a 10 day training school in Phoenix, AZ and trying to keep up w/ the game on tv. They would put a crawler at the bottom or just flash updates occasionally. The last update I saw was we were driving, and then there was a dead period where I couldn't get an update anywhere. I flipped channels, I called people back in MS but nobody was home that could tell me the outcome. I finally called a Phoenix radio station and a DJ "checked the wire scores" for me and found it. I was so damn pumped because at the time I was living in AR, its hard to be a State fan living amongst those "A holes"

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My favorite is Dak;s stiff arm. My worst is the fumble through the end zone in the Maine Game giving the ball back to Maine. "We lost to Maine." That's a five-finger death punch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login