Should be a 45 second reel.
Bama
Kevin Prentiss PR
Bo Wallace fumbling at the goal line
Anthony Dixon dragging entire Houston secondary into end zone
Dak stiff arm

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
You can't appreciate the athleticism of Eric Moulds on this play from the JP broadcast alone but, if you were there, it's forever burned into your memory. Fourth down, Taite throws a "holler **** and shoot" pass in Moulds general direction. Moulds stops from a dead run to leap up an backwards at least 10 feet in the air to catch the ball and convert on fourth down vs Tennessee in 1994:

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's been 43 years since the Alabama fumble. Let's put it in the archives section. Call it "The Play Emeritus" since I know how much it meant at the time. But...

Half of us were too young to watch or not even born. The other half of you were too old when it happened to remember it the next day... It's closer to Ole Miss's national titles than present day.

This is The Play. This was the start of the greatest 7 weeks of football any of us have ever experienced. And a breakout moment for this entire generation of Bulldog fans.
The real answer: Clint Stoener setting the ball on the ground and leaving it there. It put us in the SEC West Championship. What should have been our play would have been KP's return in the SEC CG. We just couldn't capitalize.

I think Dak's stiff arm is the right answer for now. What's a little sad is we don't have a clear "the play" because we've never capitalized and finished strong after one. We just hire a DC for the Orange Bowl and show up and win and Dak's stiff arm is a lot better. The way we fell off at the end of the season just soured that. Some of it was we just lost two safeties we couldn't afford to lose, but not being ready for an option attack when we had weeks to prepare is just a brutal way to finish the season.
This is why the Dak stiff arm can't be the play. Not to mention it was such a momentary thing, with us having that 'power' only that season. But then again, in 1980, we still lost to USM and then lost our bowl game.

But beating #1 is beating #1, especially when it's Bama, in one of their two greatest dynasties. But when I think about that play, it's about a great defense, muddying up a game. That's our calling card.

And it's one reason I'm excited to see what a true defensive coach can do with this program. I've always thought defense was our true strength. I know it seems as if offense needs the attention, but I'm a believe in going with your strengths and letting them guide you, and simply minimizing your weaknesses. That's what niche offenses, or delegating to a hungry OC, can do for us, IMO. Simply don't be terrible on offense, you'd think we could consistently do that. I mean, look at 6-3. Emory's wishbone only scores 6 damn points! It's an MSU tradition.

Reactions: thekimmer

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
The Alabama fumble ? Wallacing? Kick pick kick? Dak stiff arm?
Glad to say I witnessed 3 of these firsthand and listened to Jack call the 4th live. But my vote is for AD punishing half of Houston's secondary on the way to the endzone. Max effort. Never stop. Bulldog tough.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
The first play that came to mind was Dak's stiff arm vs. LSU.

My favorite play just for the sheer WTFness is 3rd and 93 vs. La Tech.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
It’s either the 4th and 15 completion to Kevin cooper or the field goal at the end because it still remains to this day the only time a team from Mississippi punched their ticket to the SEC championship and after 2024 that sec west championship could stand forever because they are getting rid of divisions.

I would vote for the 4th and 15 completion because it got us to the FG that essentially won the SEC West for us. If we had actually won the SEC that year (which we got to within 7 minutes of) it would absolutely be the biggest play in modern MSU football history but even winning the West was a huge deal.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Good lord, it's the Dicenzo Miller run against BYU 2000ish (ESPN Thursday Night game). And it's by far the single best effort by any bulldog ever.

Zo ran and ran and ran....every byu player on the field got a wiff of zo's a$s.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Cue the Benny Hill Music:

The best part about that play is that when the players were asked about it after the game, every single one of them admitted that they were trying to scoop & score but that when they couldn't secure it, they intentionally kicked it further to give themselves another shot at it.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's been 43 years since the Alabama fumble. Let's put it in the archives section. Call it "The Play Emeritus" since I know how much it meant at the time. But...

Half of us were too young to watch or not even born. The other half of you were too old when it happened to remember it the next day... It's closer to Ole Miss's national titles than present day.

This is The Play. This was the start of the greatest 7 weeks of football any of us have ever experienced. And a breakout moment for this entire generation of Bulldog fans.

dak prescott bulldog GIF by Mississippi State Athletics
Ole Miss has never won a national title in football.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
1980 Bama for the olds…

Dak stiff arm for the younguns…

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Glad to say I witnessed 3 of these firsthand and listened to Jack call the 4th live. But my vote is for AD punishing half of Houston's secondary on the way to the endzone. Max effort. Never stop. Bulldog tough.
grindin' for his State

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Ole Most Champions……
Their one legitimate chance was in 1959. But they screwed it up due to the Billy Cannon Run.
1686093557106.png
Note- they didn't even win the SEC championship that year. Georgia, led by Fran Tarkenton, did that. When the Rebel fans talk about that being the "Team of the Decade", what they're really doing is being the first snowflakes to win a Participation trophy.l

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
You can't appreciate the athleticism of Eric Moulds on this play from the JP broadcast alone but, if you were there, it's forever burned into your memory. Fourth down, Taite throws a "holler **** and shoot" pass in Mounds general direction. Moulds stops from a dead run to leap up an backwards at least 10 feet in the air to catch the ball and convert on fourth down vs Tennessee in 1994:

When Taite let that pass go, I cussed. Thought the game was over. Then Superman used that 40" vertical and snatched the ball from the sky.

Incredible catch

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
You can't appreciate the athleticism of Eric Moulds on this play from the JP broadcast alone but, if you were there, it's forever burned into your memory. Fourth down, Taite throws a "holler **** and shoot" pass in Mounds general direction. Moulds stops from a dead run to leap up an backwards at least 10 feet in the air to catch the ball and convert on fourth down vs Tennessee in 1994:

Yes, that play is forever burned into my memory.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
It's not "The Play" but it's pretty high up my list of favorite plays: The Don Smith keeper against Tennessee in 1986. The Vols were held in pretty high regard after pounding No. 2 Miami in the Sugar Bowl the previous year, so the Game 2 win felt pretty big. I was a sophomore, and we were pretty full of ourselves when we were 6-1 and in the Top 20. Then we lost the last four games 144-12, and I learned what it was like to be a State fan.

And we could have gone to a bowl game that year but turned down a pre-invite invite to the Liberty (or Motor City ?) even at 6-3 because Templeton was confident we would get a better bowl invite.
So much for that.

• Sad
Reactions: dogmatic001

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The real answer: Clint Stoener setting the ball on the ground and leaving it there. It put us in the SEC West Championship. What should have been our play would have been KP's return in the SEC CG. We just couldn't capitalize.

I think Dak's stiff arm is the right answer for now. What's a little sad is we don't have a clear "the play" because we've never capitalized and finished strong after one. We just hire a DC for the Orange Bowl and show up and win and Dak's stiff arm is a lot better. The way we fell off at the end of the season just soured that. Some of it was we just lost two safeties we couldn't afford to lose, but not being ready for an option attack when we had weeks to prepare is just a brutal way to finish the season.
KP’s punt return in Atlanta is probably my 2nd all time MOMENT in State sports history.
I’ll have to think about this some more but man that was a hell of a feeling there in the GA Dome thinking we may just win the SEC Championship.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
You can't appreciate the athleticism of Eric Moulds on this play from the JP broadcast alone but, if you were there, it's forever burned into your memory. Fourth down, Taite throws a "holler **** and shoot" pass in Moulds general direction. Moulds stops from a dead run to leap up an backwards at least 10 feet in the air to catch the ball and convert on fourth down vs Tennessee in 1994:

Great game and W by the Dawgs.
P Manning entered the game sometime in the first half as a Freshmen.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
Enjoy a great play, great win or great season AS IS.

Don't expect it to turn into anything or lead to anything.

Ever.

This is the great lesson of wisdom I've gleaned from a lifetime as a Bulldog. I see some of you in this thread discounting plays and moments because they didn't lead anywhere or ended in ashes.

In 1992 we had Alabama on the ropes in Starkville but couldn't land the knockout blow. We led for much of the game but finally fiddled around and lost. Within that game was a Moulds catch even greater than the one I linked earlier in this thread. It's a TD catch in the back, left corner of the north end zone. Thanks the JP quality of the video, it's scarcely worth the trouble of hunting up on YouTube. It involved Moulds using a vertical leap that defies description. I carry that in my mind, but it took me years to enjoy it because it was, I thought, wasted in a loss. Don't let long-term results cloud the beauty of short-term performance. If you do, your enjoyment of being a Bulldog will be scant indeed.

Last edited:

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
And we could have gone to a bowl game that year but turned down a pre-invite invite to the Liberty (or Motor City ?) even at 6-3 because Templeton was confident we would get a better bowl invite.
So much for that.
That actually may and probably was Charlie Carr as AD.
Templeton was there lurking tho as Associate AD

patdog

May 28, 2007
So much for that.
That was Charlie Carr. One of the worst ADs we’ve ever had. But you’re right. We turned down a bowl bid & then got blown out our last 2 games & sat home. Carr “resigned” soon afterwards & we promoted Templeton.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
It's the goal line fumble recovery to beat #1 Bama in 1980.

After not moving the ball all game, they were marching down the field with ease. I wasn't there (but listening on the radio) I knew Bama would score. What a miraculous moment and huge win.

Bama through the 70s was winning at the rate of Sabans Bama teams. It was a gigantic win.
Hands down this was THE PLAY! No 'emeritus' crap.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Good lord, it's the Dicenzo Miller run against BYU 2000ish (ESPN Thursday Night game). And it's by far the single best effort by any bulldog ever.

Zo ran and ran and ran....every byu player on the field got a wiff of zo's a$s.
If I remember right, Zo got a penalty on that play for leaping into the end zone. Ref said it was "unsportsmanlike". Typical State luck. But great run by Zo.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login