What's the most impressive record in professional sports today and..

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Tend to agree. Many of the statistical things have gone out the window with strikes and steroids in baseball, and then adding more games in football. I would have said the undefeated Dolphins but the 2007 Patriots actually won more games in a row before losing the Super Bowl. So which is better?

Maybe the Celtics winning all those titles in a row in the 60s?

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
You look at the records that likely won't be broken again---
Not sure if another NBA team will win 8 Championships in a row, like the Celts did.
Not sure anyone can break Jerry Rice's record for receiving yards -- even with so many more passes being thrown these days and for ridiculous yardage. Rice was in a league by himself and had the longevity that today's receivers do not have.
Not sure if any team can win 111 games in a row - like the UConn ladies.
And then there's the Gretzky assists record. I am sure no one will come close to that again.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
197 receiving TD by Rice. I believe 2nd place is Moss with 150 or so. The more pass happy the game becomes the more gaudy that record looks. Insane.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
...in how many different ways is it obviously Cal Ripken Jr.'s Iron Man streak of 2,632 consecutive games played?
Most complete game shutouts by a pitcher will never be touched. No one will get half way to the record of 110. We likely won't even see anyone get a quarter of the way there. Nolan Ryan had 61. Now they're pulling pitchers with one hit hit the sixth.

Reactions: Taz_Man

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
...in how many different ways is it obviously Cal Ripken Jr.'s Iron Man streak of 2,632 consecutive games played?
The Mississippi State single season passing yards record will probably never be broken. [Edit: you said pro, but anyway]

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Babe Ruth won 11 AL HR Titles. Anybody close to that? During a 12 year span, the gap between him and #2 was usually about 20 HR's. As far as HR's are concerned, you gotta take out those pitching years at Boston and The Dead Ball Era. During that 12 year span, it was the single most dominant power hitting ever when compared to the other hitters in his era. To me, that's the only fair way to compare yesterday's players to todays.

Also, The 10 year run by Tiger Woods was the most dominant 10 year stretch in Golf History. It's a shame his body didn't hold out. What Tiger did was indeed "Ruthian".

I don't think any batter or golfer will ever match the runs made by Ruth & Woods.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'll go with Rickey Henderson's 1400 career stolen bases. I think the active record is in the 300s.

Unpopular opinion: Ripken's streak is over-rated. It's an over-hyped curiosity. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was selfish, but there were clearly days where it would have been better for his team for him to take a game or two off. And oddly I think it skews his place in baseball history: he is absolutely on the very short list of the very best shortstops of all time, but we don't really remember him for that, We mostly remember the streak.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Babe Ruth won 11 AL HR Titles. Anybody close to that? During a 12 year span, the gap between him and #2 was usually about 20 HR's. As far as HR's are concerned, you gotta take out those pitching years at Boston and The Dead Ball Era. During that 12 year span, it was the single most dominant power hitting ever when compared to the other hitters in his era. To me, that's the only fair way to compare yesterday's players to todays.

Also, The 10 year run by Tiger Woods was the most dominant 10 year stretch in Golf History. It's a shame his body didn't hold out. What Tiger did was indeed "Ruthian".

I don't think any batter or golfer will ever match the runs made by Ruth & Woods.
Tiger didn't have nearly the competition Jack had and still hasn't won as many majors.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Tiger didn't have nearly the competition Jack had and still hasn't won as many majors.
Correct on the Majors but I reject Tiger didn't have the same level of competition. It's unfortunate Tiger's Body didn't hold up. Golf Greats usually have a 20 year run to rack up the money victories and majors and unfortunately Tiger will not have that opportunity. But Tiger's 10 year run will never be matched IMO when you look at how many titles and Majors he won in that period of time. When talking Golf, you also gotta add Jack because during his 20 year run, he never finished lower than 3rd on the money list and of course he's still the Major Champion King. 20 years and no lower than 3rd on the Money List is just flat out Sick IMO.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think the more impressive record is DiMaggio's hit streak record.

What Ripken did is definitely remarkable, but it will never be broken for reasons other than nobody else being capable of being an iron man. I just think with so much money now that clubs have invested in players, they're always going to do as much as possible to protect their investments and increase the chances of players staying healthy, so that means getting guys more rest throughout the season.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
What Ripken did is definitely remarkable, but it will never be broken for reasons other than nobody else being capable of being an iron man. I just think with so much money now that clubs have invested in players, they're always going to do as much as possible to protect their investments and increase the chances of players staying healthy, so that means getting guys more rest throughout the season.
So, you're saying Ripken wasn't a pu**y and could play everyday without getting hurt?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You look at the records that likely won't be broken again---
Not sure if another NBA team will win 8 Championships in a row, like the Celts did.
Not sure anyone can break Jerry Rice's record for receiving yards -- even with so many more passes being thrown these days and for ridiculous yardage. Rice was in a league by himself and had the longevity that today's receivers do not have.
Not sure if any team can win 111 games in a row - like the UConn ladies.
And then there's the Gretzky assists record. I am sure no one will come close to that again.
Interesting stat that shows how amazing UConn has been in women's hoops over the years...

They just lost their second game in a row. Up until now, it had been 30 years since they had lost back to back games.

That stat is mind boggling.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So, you're saying Ripken wasn't a pu**y and could play everyday without getting hurt?
No, I'm saying if Ripken was playing today and getting 30m per, he'd be sitting every once in a while.

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
I think the baseball record most likely never to be broken is Johnny Vander Meer's back-to-back no-hitters. Somebody might get two in a row, but three in a row ain't happening.

The Great One's 894 goals scored all time.

You know Ovechkin might get there in a year and a half or so, right? Gretzky's assists and total points aren't likely to be touched, though.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I think the baseball record most likely never to be broken is Johnny Vander Meer's back-to-back no-hitters. Somebody might get two in a row, but three in a row ain't happening.

You know Ovechkin might get there in a year and a half or so, right? Gretzky's assists and total points aren't likely to be touched, though.
No, I had no idea. Last time I watched a hocky game I think Gretzky may have been playing in it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
While Cal was my childhood hero, I must see your 2,632 and raise you 20,000...

Screenshot_20230209-114923.png

To save those of you who were wondering from breaking out the abacus, that's 7.59 women for every day of Cal's streak.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
Two men hold the record for Grand SLams in pro tennis: 22 each djokovic and nadal.
Jimmy connors record of 109 total tournament championships still stands to this day.
12 wimbledon titles held between the williams sisters
Martina Navratilova's 9 championships at wimbledon; and a triple crown at the 1987 US open.
Chris evert's winning a grand slam every year for 13 straight years
Steffi Graf with a golden slam.
Ronnie Coleman winning Mr. Olympia 8 straight years.
THe majority of strongest man in the world competition winners come from Iceland.

Aug 23, 2012
The record for saves in a season. I thought Thigpen would hold the record longer. Just think the record is now 58 ?. That is 36% of the games in a season that needed to have a save situation with no room for error. The recordholder is dependent on the circumstances beyond his control

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Cy Young won 511 games in his career. It would take someone averaging 33 starts per year for 17 years and winning 92% of their games to break that record. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that record is safe.

Nov 6, 2015
Come on guys I’m disappointed in you dirty dawgs
The nature boy styling and profiling 16 I said 16 world wrestling champion
WOOOOO

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login