What's your favorite win from the Mike Leach era?

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
The comeback against Auburn last year is up there and this year's Egg Bowl is high on the list but I think my favorite win was the first one... against LSU in 2020. Just something about exploding for that much offense against the defending national champions.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If KJ hadn't had so many turnovers in that game, he would have broken every single game record in college football history.

Reactions: The Fatboy

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Auburn, 2021. No question.

Mississippi State just doesn't do that ever historically.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
2020 LSU for multiple reasons

Beating them has been rare over the last two decades
Sure they weren't the same team but it was Game 1 after their title - always nice to knock off the reigning champs
It was in Death Valley
Leach's first game
All my step-family are Tigers, love to get to gloat when I can
The reactions for the entire week afterward across the media - holy **** the Air Raid has arrived in the SEC!
It wasn't a squeaked out win, it was a beatdown

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I was tailgating at the 3-2 game and literally never entered the stadium.

I was basically comatose when my friends came out.

I've had few prouder moments. Not everyone was as proud of me as I was.
I was there.

Be glad yo do not remember it.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
The comeback against Auburn last year is up there and this year's Egg Bowl is high on the list but I think my favorite win was the first one... against LSU in 2020. Just something about exploding for that much offense against the defending national champions.

2020 LSU is it for me. They were the defending National Champions, coming off a 13-0 season. We beat them in Tiger Stadium - a place where our record has been worse than abysmal for the last 30+ years. The icing on the cake was having a transfer QB set the record for passing yards in a conference game. Up until then, the only noteworthy accomplishment a QB of ours has had against LSU in recent times was Mike Henig throwing 6 interceptions.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Without question for me it was 2021 Auburn, for somewhat obvious reasons. If I lived somewhere else, maybe my answer would be different. For your entertainment, here's the group text and responses I sent when we had the ball, down 28-3 but driving late in the second quarter. We were due to get the kickoff in the third quarter.

IMG_7985.jpg
IMG_7986.jpg

I'm not normally known as the overly optimistic one in my group but for whatever reason that day I just had a feeling we could make a game of it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I think it's a tie between his first win and his last one, but I'm heavily leaning towards the last one.

Reactions: Conman90

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
It's actually a loss for me. Georgia 2020. Perfect Leach scenario. Take 35-40 players, when other teams were pussing out and we didn't have to play, and take a Top 10 team at full strength and in their stadium to the wire. Never been more proud of a State team than that night, and I think Leach's leadership had a lot ti do with that attitude and effort.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Egg Bowl this year. The 2020 UGA game, even though it was a loss, is second.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
It's actually a loss for me. Georgia 2020. Perfect Leach scenario. Take 35-40 players, when other teams were pussing out and we didn't have to play, and take a Top 10 team at full strength and in their stadium to the wire. Never been more proud of a State team than that night, and I think Leach's leadership had a lot ti do with that attitude and effort.
That game changed the program. The locker room culture from the Moorhead tenure was uprooted and Leach found HIS team that night

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
The last one. If I could do a meme, I would put Leach’s face on the character of Slim Picken’s riding off on that H-bomb in Dr. Strangelove and let him ride off into glory having derailed the Lane Train and ruined the party they never lose. Hail State!

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
1) LSU felt insane in the moment and totally unexpected.
2) Auburn went from utter disappointment to a moment that built upon itself until we took the lead and sealed it. That was crazy!
3) The Ole Miss game this year was a great as well. Always good to beat the Bears especially with the season they thought they were going to have.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
2021 Auburn for me. Just a great swing of events. Totally outmanned and won the game.

I also enjoyed LSU 2020 like everybody else. The great thing about that game was that it was a glimpse into what Leach could have done with serious D1 talent. We had it too, before it went off the rails. Costello, Hill, Shavers, etc.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I think his final win was his greatest. Beating Ole Miss on the road in a driving rainstorm to win the golden egg was awesome and a fitting end to his career.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think his final win was his greatest. Beating Ole Miss on the road in a driving rainstorm to win the golden egg was awesome and a fitting end to his career.
Completely agree. I'm so glad he won his last game at Mississippi State as a coach.
We will have that to remember him by forever.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
For me, it has to be the first and last. Oddly, our difficulties through the rest of the 2020 season made the LSU win even sweeter for those of us in S LA. MSU setting passing records at DBU in his first game. Are you kidding me!? I was sold!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login