Votes: 65 30.4%
  • 2001 - 2010

Votes: 63 29.4%
  • After 2011

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I ask this question because I feel it frames our expectations.

My Dad graduated in 1970 and always expects the worst from all MSU sports.

I was born in 1974 and graduated in 1997. Growing up, I watched the bad football teams, but also watched the Clark/Palmero era of baseball. I was a student for the early Sherrill years and the 1996 Final Four run. I’m hopefully optimistic but understand crushing disappointment.

My son was born in 2004. His earliest introduction to MSU football was Mullen’s teams. He has a baseball signed by the 2013 College World Series team and he followed the 2019(?) women’s basketball team to their (near) Championship. He lived the 2021 baseball Championship run. He is a current student and thinks MSU is a premier college program that should dominate every sport.

To me, MSU sports & our expectations is a generational thing. how much does your age/experience frame your perception of MSU sports?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I was a freshman for the last year of Sherrill and the 2003-2004 basketball team. Going to all those basketball games was awesome, but it was a terrible time for football. I started watching football games around 1994, though, and always went to the bowl games + the SEC Championship with my dad, so I got to see all that. It made me hopeful for football but increasingly pessimistic as Alabama pulled away. This football season has been encouraging to me because of all the different teams in the playoff hunt + the field expanding. It’s nice that all the SEC teams look beatable. Hoping it gets even more like that in the next few years. Just wish we had a decent team now.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I paraded the campus the night we won to make it to the Final Four
I was in Atlanta for the SEC championship game
I knew guys on one of the Omaha teams

all while i was in school....

my expectations got real high....but the 2000s humbled me a bit....

Croom years, I barely even knew we had a football team
basketball was ok, but the atmosphere went to crap
baseball added the FuBu uniforms and Polk 2.0 was exposed for not recruiting

It is cyclical....and I don't like what cycle we are on currently...

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Started in 2001. During orientation, Sherrill and Madkin talked about how it was such an exciting time for MSU football. 3 weeks later, 9/11 happened. 4 years later, we had won a total of 11 football games.

Reactions: kired

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
Graduated high school 1975 in Jackson Ms. Everyone I knew in my high school and kids I knew at other Jackson metro high schools either were going to ole miss or MSU and mostly ole miss. I went to USM and then transferred to MSU per orders of my dad who graduated from MSU. Younger people must understand back then NE Jackson everyone went to ole miss period.

I started going to MSU football games very early in life with my dad not only in Jackson but Starkville also. So I’ve seen a lot of MSU football mainly bad football and therefore have been jaded to expect losing.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Originally got out in ‘89 (Tech and Ten & SEC baseball title my senior year) but violated parole and was sent back a year and a half later (spent the night outside the Hump and saw State beat LSU for the regular season basketball title).

Finally escaped in ‘93.

Raining The Shawshank Redemption GIF

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
2012-2016. I consider myself blessed to get to be on campus and a student for the dak years, 2013 CWS, and 2016 sec baseball champions. Only down side is I didn’t get the same basketball experience as a lot. I was there for the Rick ray years and it was brutal

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
2001-2005. Absolutely crap football (last three Sherrill seasons and first Croom season) but the best four year run of basketball we’ve ever had other than the Bailey Howell teams. Still the only time we’ve made the NCAA Tournament in four straight seasons. I guess that’s why I’ve always been one of the Stansbury defenders on here.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
As of this moment only 11.5% in the 71-80 bracket. I'm surprised there are not more geezers here like myself. Many are probably still in bed waiting on their care givers to get them up. I graduated in '76 and enjoyed a brief period of MSU fb success. Saw Rocky Felker lead the dogs to an 8-3 record including a Sun Bowl win over NC. If I remember right Felker was first team all SEC in '75.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I was a freshman in 84. I joined the Maine Corps in 86. Got out in 90, got married, went back to school. December of 90 went back active into the Marine Corps for Desert Strom. Got home from overseas, September of 91, went back to school and graduated from State the second summer school session of 92. My degree only cost me 3700.00. Thats right 3700.00 out of pocket.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Graduated from State in 1976 but started going to football, basketball, and baseball games as a kid in 1961. Football had some very long rough times in the 1960’s. Basketball was really good. Baseball had some good teams too.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
As of this moment only 11.5% in the 71-80 bracket. I'm surprised there are not more geezers here like myself. Many are probably still in bed waiting on their care givers to get them up. I graduated in '76 and enjoyed a brief period of MSU fb success. Saw Rocky Felker lead the dogs to an 8-3 record including a Sun Bowl win over NC. If I remember right Felker was first team all SEC in '75.

I also graduated in 76. Had some classes with the great Walter Packer. Still my all time favorite running back. Super nice guy too.

Reactions: Dawg1976

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
First year on campus was 1988 (JC Transfer) and stepped right into Tech and Ten. I Co-oped, so ended up graduating in 91 right before Jackie got hired. At least basketball and baseball were worth talking.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I was 10 years old at the '97 Egg Bowl. When Peterson caught the 2 pointer, I started bawling. The old lady next to me deadpanned, "Son, I've been watching this team for 50 years and it ain't ever getting any better."

For a while after '98, '99, and '00, I thought she was crazy. Boy was I wrong. Got a really good dose of reality as a dawg then had Croom every year while in school along with Polk II imploding to wrap things up. Fun times

Reactions: dorndawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Grew up and went to college during the Kang Era. I actually thought that WAS MSU football, and it still ended horribly. It resulted in MSU being way too much of my self-esteem for a long time, and ultimately a little bi-polarity.

I am now close to letting go. I should have let go in 2003, because I saw the Croom hire coming a mile away. I knew our idiotic administration was going to do it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
83-87. Never saw a game from inside Davis Wade the entire time. My Dad had me stuff to do on Saturday unless the game happened to be televised and he wanted to watch it but mostly listened to Jack on a radio while knee deep in grease or cow ****!

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I was at State from 2011-2016 (went straight through and got my master’s). So I got to see a lot better football than most of our alums when I was a student. Baseball was mostly strong (save for an ugly 2015) and men’s basketball was a total disaster. I did get to see the very beginning of Schaefer’s rise and women’s basketball becoming must-watch until Vic left so that was cool.

‘99 is the football season I consider my first year of fandom, that LSU game is the first game I have semi-vivid memories of going to. But 2001-2008 were smack dab in the middle of my school-age years so I witnessed a lot of bad football as a kid.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I went from 97 to Fall of 01. Had a great run for football. Decided to attend one last semester so I could go to the Rosebowl. Went to every game. Watched us win 3 of them.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Graduated high school 1975 in Jackson Ms. Everyone I knew in my high school and kids I knew at other Jackson metro high schools either were going to ole miss or MSU and mostly ole miss. I went to USM and then transferred to MSU per orders of my dad who graduated from MSU. Younger people must understand back then NE Jackson everyone went to ole miss period.

I started going to MSU football games very early in life with my dad not only in Jackson but Starkville also. So I’ve seen a lot of MSU football mainly bad football and therefore have been jaded to expect losing.
When my dad got discharged out of the Marine Corps, he broke his back in Vietnam, so he was kept on active duty until he was able to function, we moved to Allstate Drive in Colonial Heights. There were a lot of JP students and yes, I remember Ole Miss being everyone's school of choice. Our next-door neighbor was the General Manager of the Jackson Mets. Since my dad was disable, he uses to take me and my brother to all the Mets games we wanted and any Miss State, Ole Miss or USM games being played in Jackson. I don't remember his name, but I do remember him having a really good-looking wife. I believe she was blonde. When she got pregnant, he made her sleep on the left side of the bed. He wanted her to have a left-handed pitcher. My mom thought it was funny. Baseball guys are really superstitious.

Reactions: HammerOfTheDogs

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I ask this question because I feel it frames our expectations.

My Dad graduated in 1970 and always expects the worst from all MSU sports.

I was born in 1974 and graduated in 1997. Growing up, I watched the bad football teams, but also watched the Clark/Palmero era of baseball. I was a student for the early Sherrill years and the 1996 Final Four run. I’m hopefully optimistic but understand crushing disappointment.

My son was born in 2004. His earliest introduction to MSU football was Mullen’s teams. He has a baseball signed by the 2013 College World Series team and he followed the 2019(?) women’s basketball team to their (near) Championship. He lived the 2021 baseball Championship run. He is a current student and thinks MSU is a premier college program that should dominate every sport.

To me, MSU sports & our expectations is a generational thing. how much does your age/experience frame your perception of MSU sports?
I too graduated in 97 and am holding on to this last year of my forties.

My son was born in 2013 and has been to campus numerous times to various sporting events and to Omaha with me in 21. Has autographs from Jake and has pictures with Tanner and Big Hit Mac. I thought he was a dog.

However, at this time he is all about TSUN; because, his mom is all about them because of their recent success. She is a graduate of that institution, but they were on probation for most of her 4 years there, so she only gets excited when they have a good team.

Son also likes UGA and Bama due to their winning ways.

Current perception is everything when deciding on a team to follow a cheer on.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I too graduated in 97 and am holding on to this last year of my forties.

My son was born in 2013 and has been to campus numerous times to various sporting events and to Omaha with me in 21. Has autographs from Jake and has pictures with Tanner and Big Hit Mac. I thought he was a dog.

However, at this time he is all about TSUN; because, his mom is all about them because of their recent success. She is a graduate of that institution, but they were on probation for most of her 4 years there, so she only gets excited when they have a good team.

Son also likes UGA and Bama due to their winning ways.

Current perception is everything when deciding on a team to follow a cheer on.
Sorry to hear about your son... LOL!

I know the feeling, though. My daughter is a Sr in high school and is currently a heavy lean to Florida and Auburn despite MSU sending her mailers every day...

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Graduated in 1973. Since Bob Tyler gave us hope and a glimpse of what things could be I have always believed that even though we weren't the biggest or most glamorous that the main thing that has ever kept us from being at least competitive....was us. If I had to write a book about our athletics it would be titled : Mississippi State Athletics...A Legacy of Apathy and Bad Decisions.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
1982-1985 (Emory Bellard, Bob Boyd, Ron Polk era) During those years football was 17-27, baseball 165-69 and basketball was 47-65. Football wasn't very enjoyable but everybody still went. Baseball was a really good time then, back your truck up in the outfield on game day w/ no problem and no fees and cook and drink all you wanted. Basketball, well, it was atrocious. Bob Boyd was a great guy and a really good coach at USC but he was at USC when John Wooden was on the other side of town at UCLA. He was a good coach here w/ absolutely nothing to work w/ but Jeff Malone.

Reactions: msstatelp1

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Began Fall of '98. Graduated Spring of '01.

Football:
1998: SEC West Champs/Cotton Bowl
1999: 10-2/Peach Bowl
2000: Snow Bowl

They lost to Arkansas in 2000. It was the final game I saw as a student and the only home game they lost in my 3 years.

Baseball:
1999: Lost in finals of Columbus Regional to Ohio State
2000: Hosted & won regional (walkoff HR to beat Notre Dame). Swept in Clemson Super Regional.
2001: Won Columbus Regional. Swept in Cal State Fullerton Super Regional.

Basketball:
1998-99: 1st round NIT loss to Colorado State
1999-00: Losing record/no postseason
2000-01: Lost 3rd NIT game hosted vs Tulsa. Buzzer beater winning shot (by Zimmerman?) waved off as time had expired.

All in all, a pretty good time to be a sports fan at Mississippi State.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I started in 1987 and graduated in 1995. Along with changing majors once and having an adjustment period from delta nowhere high school to college, I did the work 3 jobs, pay as you go program.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login