Votes: 63 29.4%
  • After 2011

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
HS 88
JuCo 89-90
MSU 90-94 Co-Op 3 semesters, a little bad advisor advice at juco, and 1 major change (but were similar fields)

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Attended 1987, graduated 1992, left in 1993.
Survived Felker 1-10 my sophomore year.
Saw Jackie come in and take us to the Liberty Bowl.
Never thought I'd live to see us #1 in a poll.

Reactions: Maroon13

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Bill Blackwell possibly?

Bill Blackwell article
I was 8 years old and just can't remember face or name. I just know he was General Manager, and he took time with me and my brother. My dad died in 77 and my mom has dementia. We move from there in 1976 because my dad was getting really bad off and my mom wanted to be close to her brothers. I will ask her this Saturday.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
First generation Bulldog. Enrolled in 2001, graduated in Dec. 2005 with undergrad, stayed through May 2007 for grad school. The 1999 football season was my jr. year of high school and is the first time I can remember really paying attention to State athletics. I arrived in 2001 with Sherrill at the helm and then promptly got a front row seat to all the Croom years. Basketball was my favorite back then, Mario Austin and Zimmerman and Bowers and Lawrence Roberts made the Hump the place to be during my years at State.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Based on the results so far we’ve got almost nobody under the age of 30 on this board?

We’re getting old
We Should Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
88-92 (Dec.). Caught tech and 10, the stayed an extra semester to catch JWS' second season. Basketball SEC Champs in 1991, baseball perennial post-season, although that 89 team blew it in the regional.

The JA product Tony Allen Shell was QB in 1988. He slung it all over the field. We scored a ton of points. The defense was a slow, so we gave up a ton more points.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
08’-13’ pretty good football years and a particularly great baseball year

elvis76

Oct 15, 2022
Graduated December of 1976 but had been to campus untold times with my Grandfather, President of the Student Association in 1925, and my father who graduated in 1950. Remember Thanksgiving lunch in the cafeteria before an Ole Miss game when I was maybe 6 0r 7. I have no idea or memory of the game but remember being amazed at Lee Hall and the cafeteria. I basically decided on MSU that day.
Sports during my era were not great but were still quite fun, especially basketball in the old building and baseball, as it was starting the upswing.

3dawgnight

Aug 27, 2012
Born and raised in Starkville. Graduated from State in ‘07. Horrific football, occasionally entertaining BBall and hit/miss baseball.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I originally had started a junior college and dropped out back in 1980. I worked for almost 10 years until I decided that was not that working in industry was not my future. I started going part time at night at a local junior college for about three or four years until I finally had enough credits & transferred to Mississippi State in the fall of 1994. I lived in Starkville and went to school full-time and work full-time until I graduated in December 1996 a double major. I was there when Jackie first started turning the program around and during our great Final Four basketball run. Even though the football program was not great yet, I had a lot of fun and some of the best memories ever had were in Humphrey Coliseum.

The only thing was our baseball program was not great, which is what got me to fall in love with Mississippi State in the first place. Even though I've been to a only a few football games in the 1980s, I started going regularly to baseball games and late 80s and early 90s. we had some really great teams to watch in those days and there was nothing like a Saturday doubleheader of SEC baseball in the Old Outfield Lounge. We will never, never get that back again. Unfortunate right after I graduated we did have some really good teams in baseball. We had some great football and baseball teams right after I graduated decide to I lived in Starkville about 10 minutes from campus on old West Point Road. I was lucky enough to get to see all the state football and baseball games I wanted to until I moved to Texas in 2007.

I got the chance to come back for one basketball and football game back in 2009, but it has been close 15 years since I've been back to campus for a game. I got to visit around 2013. I hope to come to this spring an I really hope our baseball programs is at least competitive again. I meant to come back and visit before now, but I had a real problem with some pretty serious bouts of illness to last three or four years and wasn't able to travel during ball season. I'm going to be there for football season next year unless we're absolutely horrid. Had to sit through the end of JWS and Croom Mississippi State football and I'm not doing that again.

I've been back a couple of times to Mississippi, but I never got to stay in Starkville. I have heard, and am pretty sure that I would not recognize campus or Starkville and I heard most of it looks really good. I'm really glad and I would love to see it.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Tech was my first football game. I sat upper deck west side, don't remember how I got that ticket. I remember drowning. Yes we were 0fer, but I was very happy. Freshman engineering sucks though. It's a hard curve and plenty of non-engineer asshat professors willing to proclaim they are they head cutter.

Lived in Suttle, roommate and I built loft beds and anchored them to the wall. Had couches and just a sweet setup. Lou ferrigno look alike would wander around behind us at night. We found the steam tunnels, got into the cafeteria one night.

Brutus and I shot hoops in the Hump one morning waiting on the ticket office to open for basketball tix. That was the year we beat Shaq for the championship. Stayed at the hump overnight. For about 20 years, had all the stubs from those games. I spent all the home games painted, in the same seat the entire time. We would go to women's basketball when there was no hope. It was fun at the women's games because you could be heard. Heh.

Only baseball I went to was Burke masters walkout.

Loved learning how to make beer in Chem e. Made it out in 93. Been back many times. My son's memorial tree is by eckies pond. I've informed my wife that my ashes are to go in the pond.

My youngest son and I have been to Omaha a few times, we've also done women's basketball including our bs near miss. Drove to the orange bowl from CentralTexas, solo. Disgusted that we showed up drunk and disinterested,

My expectations are that we get the best players in every sport and they do their best. That's about all I can reasonably hope for. I do not have hope of a Natty again in my lifetime though. We appeased the Indians for the one.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
2005-2008… spent my freshman year at another school playing baseball.

Saw some spectacularly s**tty athletics during my time… across all sports. Basketball was pretty good most of the time. Baseball made a surprise World Series but then fell apart the next year. I was there during the 1 good croom year.

Although in general, my time was during some bad teams, there were some good moments. The one moment from my time as a student I always remember fondly was the interception just before halftime against Bama. I’ve been to a ton of state games (all of the Dak years), a ton of NFL games and I’ve never witnessed a louder moment in my life than that interception. I swear the stadium shook then.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I ask this question because I feel it frames our expectations.

My Dad graduated in 1970 and always expects the worst from all MSU sports.

I was born in 1974 and graduated in 1997. Growing up, I watched the bad football teams, but also watched the Clark/Palmero era of baseball. I was a student for the early Sherrill years and the 1996 Final Four run. I’m hopefully optimistic but understand crushing disappointment.

My son was born in 2004. His earliest introduction to MSU football was Mullen’s teams. He has a baseball signed by the 2013 College World Series team and he followed the 2019(?) women’s basketball team to their (near) Championship. He lived the 2021 baseball Championship run. He is a current student and thinks MSU is a premier college program that should dominate every sport.

To me, MSU sports & our expectations is a generational thing. how much does your age/experience frame your perception of MSU sports?
I attended during 2 periods but I was at State- 1999-2004

I only got 2 seasons of good football

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Graduated from HS in 1958, took a six month side trip to Ft. Jackson SC to become a National Guard Trained Killer, started State in 1959 and graduated in 1963. Went to games hoping to beat the spread.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
I graduated in 1978. During my four years we beat the Rebs 3 out of 4. Felker quarterbacked my freshman year, then Threadgill and others.
My junior year we were 9-2 losing to Florida and Bama. On probation so no bowl(Gillard episode). I went to all eleven games, and went to Bama/Rebs on our open date.
Polk came in my sophomore year and baseball was as exciting as ever.
my freshman year was the last year basketball played in the Pit, then Kermit signed Ricky Brown to play in Humphrey. We also had Ray White, Gary Hooker, and crowd favorite Wiley Peck.
Ron Green coached basketball one year and we finished second in the conference behind UK.
I might have studied more if sports hadn’t been so much fun. I’ve always felt that era changed MSU. Enrollment grew and we surpassed UM.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
2001-2005. Absolutely crap football (last three Sherrill seasons and first Croom season) but the best four year run of basketball we’ve ever had other than the Bailey Howell teams. Still the only time we’ve made the NCAA Tournament in four straight seasons. I guess that’s why I’ve always been one of the Stansbury defenders on here.
I was there with you. Basketball was fantastic and football was brutal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login